Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2006, 05:16 AM
Super Villain
ViCtOrEhEhEh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ViCtOrEhEhEh
Rant: Classics Hit System

I know many people asked this too, but why is Classics hit system have to be so 'unique' and have a totally different hit system than every other single sword server. I dont get why it cant just be regular classic again with the good ol hit system. This isnt really a put down it is just a rant. :P

*Contacts*
E-Mail: [email protected]
AIM: Albo Playah
Old 04-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
Perhaps Master Storm or Massaroke can explain this, which I'm sure has been explained quite a number of times in other threads concerning Classic.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:28 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
they've yet to explain anything legit or believable.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
We're using serverside hit detection, that's all, but beyond that its all the same. The only difference is how lag affects it, and is just somthing you get used to.

I think when Massokre changed it recently, the way he implemented it relies on a certain function which isn't behaving as it should, and that's why it's a little dodgy at the moment. Rest assured, were doing what we can to work around this and improve the hit detection as much as possible.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Global Administration
MysticalDragon is just really niceMysticalDragon is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to MysticalDragon Send a message via MSN to MysticalDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
We're using serverside hit detection, that's all, but beyond that its all the same. The only difference is how lag affects it, and is just somthing you get used to.

I think when Massokre changed it recently, the way he implemented it relies on a certain function which isn't behaving as it should, and that's why it's a little dodgy at the moment. Rest assured, were doing what we can to work around this and improve the hit detection as much as possible.
We understand that your useing a "serverside hit detection" but the question that was asked still lingears.Why? Seems like graals default hit system is far more superior then the one created on Graal Classic.
http://support.toonslab.com
[email protected]

Old 04-23-2006, 11:05 PM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Aye, even though I work on Classic, I've always questioned the need in such a system. It's just a waste of space :P
Old 04-24-2006, 12:28 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
I've heard it is because Stefan wanted classic's movement/hd serverside.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 04-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Classic Systems Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK
I've heard it is because Stefan wanted classic's movement/hd serverside.
What he said.

*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Corp1 is on a distinguished road
Classic's hit system straight up f****** sucks, its impossible to have a decent fight on that server.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Banned
-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to -Ching
It was good, but then they "improved" it. And now it sucks
Old 05-01-2006, 02:54 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Yea, the game server simply lacks a playertouchsme-like event handler that would be necessary for the proper implementation of the current hit system on Classic.

The current damage started using the playertouchsme event handler. The problem we encountered was that playertouchsme can be called serverside when the player can be up to one tile away from the damage field.

Since then... it started making me think that something was messed up with playertouchsme. Stefan wouldn't modify the event handler call in any way that would make it work. Since then, I've been lobbying for two additional event handlers, both serverside and clientside. One for when the player enters the base area of an NPC, and one for when the player exits the base area of an NPC, both with an accompanying script function that would render the coordinates and shape of the NPC immutable (and also enable these event handlers, as there is an underlying problem that an NPC's coordinates and shape can be very dynamic).

The only reason the new damage system sucks compared to the old serverside damage system is that it's based on a time value which had to be disabled because of the playertouchsme problem. With the requested event handlers, we could implement the time factor. Right now the script has been (hopefully temporarily) modified to send damage only at the moment the player slashes. Otherwise we'd be able to detect it for all times without destroying the server.

Storm's damage system called the server twice to overcome lag. Once at the start of the swing and once at the end of the swing. From a scripting standpoint, however, the new one is much improved, and if Stefan will give us the event handlers we need, it would be much improved from an implementation standpoint as well.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake
Storm's damage system called the server twice to overcome lag. Once at the start of the swing and once at the end of the swing. From a scripting standpoint, however, the new one is much improved, and if Stefan will give us the event handlers we need, it would be much improved from an implementation standpoint as well.
No it didn't. It called it twice at the start of the swing, at slightly differing locations (one in the midst of the sword, one at the tip), which was somthing I added in to make the range of the swords more accurate, and at the time i was only supporting single ordinate points for hits rather than areas. The way I looked at it was that when you send the attack at the start of the swing, by the time the hit reaches the server/other player, it will 'visually' be at least halfway through the swing on you screen, which gives a nice behaviour.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
"..."
Moondeath_2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Moondeath_2 Send a message via MSN to Moondeath_2 Send a message via Yahoo to Moondeath_2
I don't belive it's just the hit system that has problems I don't like how everything is scripted from picking up bushes to walking, hitting, etc. it takes the entire point of the server being 'classic' I remember the old classic everything was old skool and the whole start movie and all the other things it had I enjoyed the server when it was like that but now.. I don't know what to say to all the customized and scripted systems.
Gscript, Playerworld Rules, Support Center
Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Yea, my damage system uses area, while most scripted damage systems (including storm's, still used in bombs/arrows) use coordinates. If Stefan will make the event handlers we need, it would be the closest to the default hit detection as we can get it being serverside.

As for the movement system also being customized, the movement is a lot closer to the default movement. The biggest difference is that it's pixel-exact. It's a good movement system though. We were able to release opposite boots and gravity boots without bugs because of it, and I've also converted a few of the Nations systems to use it. It is, in essence, a very scripter-friendly system. If anyone would like to tell me the differences between Classic's system and the defaul system, and the difference isn't due to pixel-exact movement, then I could very easily modify movement so that it mimics default movement correctly.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
from a technical standpoint, your movement may be thousands of times better than Storm's. However, from a playable standpoint, your's blows worse than Storm's.