Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Classic Server should..?
be left as it is. 4 6.15%
bring back it's original levels and hit detection. 51 78.46%
bring back ONLY the original levels but leave the hit detection as is. 1 1.54%
bring back ONLY the original hit detection but leave the levels as is. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
But I'm sure it was a downwards slope the whole time, was it not? I remember this was a pattern on the other playerworlds too.
I only recall a noticeable difference when things were radically changed by the inappropriately-appointed and highly intelligent (note: sarcasm) current older "manager".
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Semi-sure that even if these old quests were brought back, less than half of you would still enjoy them like you did 5 years ago.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Semi-sure that even if these old quests were brought back, less than half of you would still enjoy them like you did 5 years ago.
the pyramid quest was the best of every quest to be ever made , yet its will not be back. sux because its was awesome
Old 05-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Some thoughts.

I do not believe that restoring the server to as it was will magically bring back old players,
the chances are that most of the players from 5 years ago have moved on in their life.

If the goal was to restore every level exactly as they were, it could have been done by now regardless of Default/Custom systems, but it's never been the goal,
if I were offered the chance of the servers levels being restored to GTA at the snap of a finger I would take it, there's no doubt it's collectively better than what we have currently, but realistically we're not going to be able to keep a team of organised gs1 + no npcserver > gs2 + serverside/clientside converters together for long enough time to do that.

The old levels weren't all that great,
but then I don't believe too much in keeping to "the latest" tiling and graphical standards, Classic can get away with that, why?
It's Classic.
But then I do believe that if the server is to be a decent and successful Adventure server it is important that time is dedicated so that Quests are plotted and organised first, with the overworld being built strategically around them, rather than the opposite which is currently the case,
this would also give the benefit of being able to maximise player and content density, which is important in an online game.

This doesn't mean that the old levels should be ignored,
they are a valuable resource, in terms of time saving and server identity,
and when a new player logs on they're not going to say "these levels are old, i'm not playing here", or "this server isn't visually appealing", if anything there might be a few who say "ah, this is indeed the Classic server".

The reasons I am proposing that we start work from scratch with default systems is quite simply to give the server a better Development platform,
the opportunity to work without obstacles and focussing entirely ahead,
with systems which both players (new and old) and Developers are used to, the fact that default systems are the original systems is a bonus rather than a reason.

There hasn't been much planning as far as what levels would get used, Graal City would stay the same as the central region absolutely no doubt about that, it would also be important to reuse the aspects which give the current server any competitiveness: GC events, PK/Spar ranks etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
the pyramid quest was the best of every quest to be ever made , yet its will not be back. sux because its was awesome
I agree that it was the best (if not the hardest) Quest on GTA,
but there's no reason it cannot come back.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:33 AM
lol?
Gotenks_Gore is on a distinguished road
bring it back then...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 AM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Some thoughts.

I do not believe that restoring the server to as it was will magically bring back old players,
the chances are that most of the players from 5 years ago have moved on in their life.

If the goal was to restore every level exactly as they were, it could have been done by now regardless of Default/Custom systems, but it's never been the goal,
if I were offered the chance of the servers levels being restored to GTA at the snap of a finger I would take it, there's no doubt it's collectively better than what we have currently, but realistically we're not going to be able to keep a team of organised gs1 + no npcserver > gs2 + serverside/clientside converters together for long enough time to do that.

The old levels weren't all that great,
but then I don't believe too much in keeping to "the latest" tiling and graphical standards, Classic can get away with that, why?
It's Classic.
But then I do believe that if the server is to be a decent and successful Adventure server it is important that time is dedicated so that Quests are plotted and organised first, with the overworld being built strategically around them, rather than the opposite which is currently the case,
this would also give the benefit of being able to maximise player and content density, which is important in an online game.

This doesn't mean that the old levels should be ignored,
they are a valuable resource, in terms of time saving and server identity,
and when a new player logs on they're not going to say "these levels are old, i'm not playing here", or "this server isn't visually appealing", if anything there might be a few who say "ah, this is indeed the Classic server".

The reasons I am proposing that we start work from scratch with default systems is quite simply to give the server a better Development platform,
the opportunity to work without obstacles and focussing entirely ahead,
with systems which both players (new and old) and Developers are used to, the fact that default systems are the original systems is a bonus rather than a reason.

There hasn't been much planning as far as what levels would get used, Graal City would stay the same as the central region absolutely no doubt about that, it would also be important to reuse the aspects which give the current server any competitiveness: GC events, PK/Spar ranks etc.

-.- The fact of the matter is that any server's success is based on it's customers or players. Please look at the poll results. You're open to your beliefs but you must be open-minded and look at the recommendations of all of those who play or want to play. It's quite clear what we're asking for. The question is now; does and will the current staff want to do the hard work involved?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by contego View Post
-.- The fact of the matter is that any server's success is based on it's customers or players. Please look at the poll results. You're open to your beliefs but you must be open-minded and look at the recommendations of all of those who play or want to play. It's quite clear what we're asking for. The question is now; does and will the current staff want to do the hard work involved?
The facts are that the server isn't doing well enough currently and players want it to be changed and therefore improved, so ofcourse they're going to vote for that,
the whole Default Systems issue has been argued about for years,
and it's always been known that some say they'd play if they were brought back, your poll has not established anything new whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong,
i'm supporting the idea of using Default Systems and salvaging old levels,
just for reasons based on actual server design.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 AM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
The facts are that the server isn't doing well enough currently and players want it to be changed and therefore improved, so ofcourse they're going to vote for that,
the whole Default Systems issue has been argued about for years,
and it's always been known that some say they'd play if they were brought back, your poll has not established anything new whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong,
i'm supporting the idea of using Default Systems and salvaging old levels,
just for reasons based on actual server design.
In responce to both of the things you said:

First of all, if the default setting is old news and people continue to pressure you folks to make a change, why hasn't anything been done? Regardless it's time something is done in my opinion. Stefan and unixmad need to step up. Globals can also get involved. The paying customers have clearly been making this request for sometime.

Finally to respond to you saying you support the idea, then why don't you utilize the Dev Polo server and hire yourself a team to make adjustments there. You're cleary someone who has the ability to make these changes, although I'm not sure your official rank.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by contego View Post
In responce to both of the things you said:

First of all, if the default setting is old news and people continue to pressure you folks to make a change, why hasn't anything been done? Regardless it's time something is done in my opinion. Stefan and unixmad need to step up. Globals can also get involved. The paying customers have clearly been making this request for sometime.

Finally to respond to you saying you support the idea, then why don't you utlize the Dev Polo server and hire yourself a team to make adjustments there. You're cleary someone who has the ability to make these changes, although I'm not sure your official rank.
That's what i'm trying to do,
but the Dev server is property of Storm, and while he has let me Develop a few things there in order to test it he doesn't support the idea,
from what I can tell the majority of the Development Team support the idea,
but the Development Admin DarkCloud is not fond of it.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Corp1 is on a distinguished road
I have no idea why GTA isn't brought back, it's as if some people think the current development on Classic has some sort of light source at the end of the tunnel. Classic in its current state is at the dead end, and is trying to plow through it instead of turning around.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ramirez- View Post
That's only half true. There was still a very good amount of players remaining who played after you had to pay, considering it was only a one-time payment.
The playercount was declining before the NPC Server was implemented, and this was quite a while after Graal went p2p.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Man of the King
super_matt89 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to super_matt89 Send a message via AIM to super_matt89 Send a message via Yahoo to super_matt89
Post Classic Playercount: 300+

Quote:
I agree that almost all the players will enjoy the quests or atleast completing them along with everyone to get the hearts and go PKing.

I voted to bring back the old levels AND the default HD system it's much more smooth and also the old levels were designed well, fun and distinct.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Classic FAQ
Quote:
Some thoughts.
then i request it to be back!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
I thought my gameboy pocket was the best thing ever the first day I got it. That doesn't mean I'll trade my nintendo ds for it. (Theoretically roms don't exist)

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Classic FAQ
Quote:
I thought my gameboy pocket was the best thing ever the first day I got it. That doesn't mean I'll trade my nintendo ds for it. (Theoretically roms don't exist)
were not talking about a game boy pocket wtf are you talking about