Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting > Code Gallery
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Your previous post stated:
Quote:
See how I did the easter map and then modify that to suit your needs (copy the appropriate levels). Also see how I created new instances.
And since we tried that the first time, then I guess that is the only help we are going to get, unless I can just keep asking on here and someone else might be willing to help.

Perhaps I should go back over the details I said on my first post, where we followed the starting post and tried to get it to work already... Which is had not, which would be why I came on here... for help.. in the first place... I'm not asking to be criticized, if I knew that was going to happen I would have pushed the project aside when I first messaged you. All I'm asking for is the help to completely throw out what we first started, and to try it again with better details than "try to mimic me", which didn't work the first time around. If you don't mind trying to help step by step, that would be amazing.. If not, I can leave the thread alone.. I just thought this would come in handy..

Also, thank you salesman, how might I make it search for relevancy for the next time?
it may be pretty helpful trying to search for things I've forgotten to bookmark but remember the names lol..

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
If you want someone to help you, describe the steps you've taken so far and the problem you're having, concisely.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM
David K?
I'll erase what Cujo has done and make a video tomorrow morning, thank you.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
I'll erase what Cujo has done and make a video tomorrow morning, thank you.
I don't need a video , that's going to take even longer than reading through one of your oversized posts. Just describe the steps you've taken and post the code for everything, including how you're creating the instances.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM
David K?
I tried that once, it wasn't concise enough, and I wasn't sure too much what was done, only what I saw... This will have in short what I've done, as well as a video in case you don't understand what I have done after I've told you again. Should be more concision if you don't understand what I mean, or if I don't understand what you are asking..

Since how some things are put towards how the program is created, which I have no knowledge of and probably don't know what the context involves.

Actually I guess there is no conciseness since there are no real definite instructions as to what one needs to do to set this up. It is a lot of back and fourth and not knowing what to do as the first post doesn't give much information as stated once again.

I will upload the two videos of two restarts trying to do this and both failing.
Then go into as much detail as the first post does.
(since there are no actual steps involved in the first post, there is a lot of jumping around in both of my attempts as well)

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

One is processing, the other is uploading.

Explanation:
Will be stated when the videos are uploaded.
Basically just followed the semi examples, got confused often, finished it without having any errors in RC, and warped someone to me without any luck.

(So you won't have to watch the first two unless you want to see how disorganized trying this is,
they are pretty long and shows the tediousness of it.)

-EDIT

Actually, I'll try a 3rd time and go step by step as to what I'm doing.
I'll post the video for that too. Because:
1. Yes it is this difficult.
2. There are no steps for one to follow.
3. Steps should be involved where there are many different interactions with different parts of setting it up. I tried the NPC first and it just failed straight up because there were no classes.

That will mean:
Cujo attempted twice(or more).
I've tried to fix his.
I've tried this three times.

I'll do this in a few hours, going out to eat and to a store.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 06-15-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Holy ****, over an hour worth of video footage just for this? x.x

No one will watch even 10 minutes of that. You were asked to briefly explain what you did and why it's not working, not post a short movie about it.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Last edited by xXziroXx; 06-15-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Seriously, K, keep it short.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Okay, so I watched the first five minutes on the first video, and the part between 3:30 and 4:00 tells me that this is -way- above your head (I tend to say that to a lot of people lately).

EDIT: So I watched some more, and really, you need to either take a few steps back or just hire someone that knows the difference between code and flags.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 AM
David K?
Yeah, I've stepped back a few times. Even redone it a few times and will try it again.
However, there would be no need in someone knowing the difference between programming and flags if there were instructions given to do this. ;D

Thank you for proving my point, I'll give step by step what I'm doing this time.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-16-2012, 03:14 AM
David K?
1. Checked to see if NPC Server had the rights.
2. Checked to see if the server options had the rights.
3. Open up the zip folder.
4. Recheck the website, found out needed to have NPC.
5. Added the NPC "InstanceManager".
6. Add the exact script from textfile to the instance manager.
7. Received errors:
PHP Code:
Script: Function unknown_object.waitForSetup not found at line 29 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545))
Script: Function unknown_object.setInstanceID not found at line 31 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545))
Script: Function unknown_object.setTempPath not found at line 8 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545))
Script: Function unknown_object.setEmergencyExit not found at line 9 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545)) 
8. Pretend the errors were not there.
9. Checked the website / first post to see if there was anything next on the NPC "InstanceManager" left.
10. Became confused with if the level.instance needed to be put into each level since it did not say. However, it was later discussed we did not.
11. Added the following from the first post into the NPC "InstanceManager".
PHP Code:
EasterMapInstance newInstanceTemplate("GameInstance");
EasterMapInstance.join("easter2k11_instance_map"); 
12. Assumed we should redo this to our fitting.
13. Changed it to:
PHP Code:
IntroMapInstance newInstanceTemplate("GameInstance");
IntroMapInstance.join("intro_instance_map"); 
14. Received this error upon applying:
PHP Code:
Script: Function unknown_object.waitForSetup not found at line 33 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545))
Script: Function unknown_object.setInstanceID not found at line 35 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545))
Script: Function unknown_object.setTempPath not found at line 8 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545))
Script: Function unknown_object.setEmergencyExit not found at line 9 in script of InstanceManager (in level intro-start.nw at pos (31.545)) 
15. Rechecked the website for the next part we believe is the next step.
16. Assume we create our own class for the instance we are trying to create.
17. Created the class that we named in the NPC "InstanceManager":
PHP Code:
intro_instance_map 
18. I pasted everything from the first post under the first example into the class.
19. Changed "EasterMapControl" to "IntroMapControl"
20. It looks like we are supposed to change this to as we see fitting, presumably the very top area under prepare.
Changed:
PHP Code:
this.mapLevelName EasterMapControl.getRandomMapName();

temp.resources = {

"levels/world/events/easter2k11/maps/" realMapLocation
}; 
to
PHP Code:
this.mapLevelName IntroMapControl.getRandomMapName();

temp.resources = {

"levels/temp/" realMapLocation
}; 
22. Changed:
PHP Code:
this.scheduleEvent(600"onCloseInstance"); 
to
PHP Code:
this.scheduleEvent(3600"onCloseInstance"); 
23. Clicked apply on the class: intro_instance_map: No errors.
24. Checked the website once again.
25. Realized it didn't actually tell me to copy all the stuff above in the setup.
26. Uploaded the last part of the archive, the class "instance".
27. It did not tell us to do anything in this/ for this. No errors on applying.
28. Hope that it works.
29. Tried using another account, had him enter the instance, I used my main account to also enter the instance, only the level, not warping to the player.
30. End Results = Attempt 3 FAILED

Video is uploading video.

With this video, and my exact steps in the processes, I don't think I can be any more definitive. If you don't mind, please giving me created steps that I should be following? Perhaps make it more player-friendly.

Once that is done, I doubt anyone else will avoid this, or try to get help only to be criticized about trying to get it. I honestly don't mind speaking out for other people, because I could care less what others think. As long as I'm not the only one being helped.

(In this case I probably am since I don't see too many people in mind that may be interested right now. We probably wouldn't have been trying to use it if I didn't mention it. The old way used 4 levels per scene and a waiting room.)

Ziro, you should not imply that the people who have worked on this do not know the difference between flags and programming. As I don't know what CujoDaMan does or does not know. And I do know I have recently gotten into them a few months ago. Putting others down for trying to learn isn't all that logical either. Unless you don't care about CujoDaMans two attempts in this and only feel like putting myself down.
In the future though, I feel you should try positive reinforcement, unless you would like others to be pushed out of the developer section of Graal.
I'm really not sure why many Graal players have such a poor attitude towards others..
It is kind of sad..

Also, sorry Crow, this was not something I could keep short.. Giving a lot of information that in itself leads up to a lot of words per step creates a pretty long list. Especially something as technical as this. I did however try to be brief. I think the video is much shorter and quicker leading up to the failing also. I did try.
(However, many people on the forums do not like spacing and the return key, so I suppose I could have kept each step close together in fewer lines so it would look worse and less legible, for the benefit of others.)

If almost anyone was asking for help, and were shot down on the first post of asking, and they were told that they never read the first post giving hardly any information on the subject...
(which you need to reread over and over)
Well, I'm sure most people would probably stop there. I don't.

So yes, my second try in asking for help was a little more forward. At that point if he said no, I could care less, at least I had still tried. If we must, we will go back to the old way... I however feel that he posted this in order to help many others, not to put them down for not being able to figure it out. Sorry if my reaction towards everyone's comments were unexpected.

8 minutes remaining.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 06-16-2012 at 03:39 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
Quote:
However, there would be no need in someone knowing the difference between programming and flags if there were instructions given to do this. ;D
Ok, so, anyone who posts in the code gallery needs to give a tutorial on the basics of programming along with their script? Got it.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 AM
David K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
Ok, so, anyone who posts in the code gallery needs to give a tutorial on the basics of programming along with their script? Got it.
If they expect those to use them and understand how to use them in something as complicated as this.. Yeah I would assume so.

Callimucs say3 tells how to use it:
And his was already pretty simple.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...hp?t=134266172

cbk's tailor:
Something such as this he said you press T.
If you are adding programs to your server, one would expect you to know a tailor is a weapon. Again, simple.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=73742

However, like Callimucs say3, if you want to try to make it easier, even as something as simple as a weapon, and actually want people to use it. Sure, instructions could help.

Although, I must say, if you can reprogram everything in this 'basic script' I'll give a thumbs up to that. I however, don't understand a thing about it.
So I can't expect someone who does not program to understand it either.
(But of course, I know almost all Graalians know everything, I'm the odd one out.)

Anyway, thank you, jazz, for you coming in to help along with the others.

I don't know, I suppose I was wrong to think asking for help would be so negatively viewed, especially after:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
If you have any questions or if I left anything out just post here and I'll be happy to help .
I suppose this is why I don't normally use things on the forums, or ask for help on the forums often. Or does anyone who is smart for that matter... One could say I was not too bright. And I'm sure many would say, on here, that I am just not.

Anyway, the video should be finished in a minute or two, assuming I won't get a viable response in a day, and there 'might' be instructions eventually, have them able for CujoDaMan to follow at least. As I will not have rights to the server any longer. Going to try to get the weapon system more completed, give comments as to how to use it, and work on a quest.

Thank you everyone, your responses were appreciated.
And seriously, cbk, should you decide to give some detailed help, Shaded Legends would greatly appreciate it. I won't be able to continue on this time consuming project of cat and mouse trying to get help, nor do I have the time for it since I have a day of gold left. If I see an answer, I will let Cujo know.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 06-16-2012 at 04:06 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
It's not like these are plugins or mods. If you want to use snippets/samples from the code gallery then you at least need to know some basic gscript. You're handling scripts, therefor it's implied you know the scripting language you're handling.

Some things are too complex to be able to simplify into a single function or two.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:08 AM
David K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Some things are too complex to be able to simplify into a single function or two.
So do you not agree that some things need instructions and details/steps for how you might use them?

I believe I do know a little bit of GS2, but I'd never say I am 'good' since there is always something I can learn. However I also feel that many people know more than I do about certain things, whereas for some I may know more in another subject. For instance, I don't know light effects. Never used them, never needed them, and I don't have the care to try. Some people may think I'm stupid because I don't know them, and that is good for them, their opinion. Even if it could take me 5-10 minutes to learn.

I chose to learn the hammer script, so I know a few things others may not, good for me, I can make tiles move and do nifty effects, who cares right?
The problem for me is, people on the forums are always quick to call others out. There are those who do want to help others though, and I am sorry if I group them with others.

Dusty, you are always helpful, Thor is usually always helpful. cbk is from the looks of it, usually helpful. Maybe he has a problem with me, I don't know, I honestly wouldn't mind. It is rare to see those actually helping without putting them down. Heck, I've even given Skyzer a positive repute once or twice. My mind was blown. Although I've only given him negative once or twice too.

I myself like teaching, and I don't mind answering questions when I have time. I'm going to try to stop this rant.

Point is, I was asking for help, trying to explain what was wrong, and giving suggestions that could make the thread a little more user-friendly for everyone else. Not everyone does know GS2 however, and steps should also be given to them. (Unless this was only directed to the horribly small audience who are very good at it, then perhaps it should be stated it isn't for anyone without years of experience.)

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 AM
the fake one
Disclaimer: I read about 5% of your posts for obvious reasons (I don't have all day).

Quote:
So do you not agree that some things need instructions and details/steps for how you might use them?
I gave instructions on how to use the script. It's not intended for those who are new to scripting. As Ziro pointed out, at one point in that video, you tried sticking a script into a DBNPC's flags.

This script clearly goes over your head, which I've told you before. You would be better off finding a scripter to help you out than whining about it on the forums. Some scripts aren't going to be as simple as others.