Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Graal Online: My Official Overview

Graal Online
Complete overview by Gambet

What started off as a Java game, based on the popular Zelda series, has evolved into a great MMORPG that is definitely like no other. Due to copyright infringement, Cyberjoueurs, a game development company that had released their own version of Zelda Online, was forced to change the game's name and sprites to avoid any lawsuits. Because of this, Stephane Portha, the managing director at Cyberjoueurs, had decided to change the old Zelda Online into something new. With the help of Stefan Knorr, the lead programmer of the game, Cyberjoueurs had finally released a Java version of their game, titled Graal. Graal, in French, means Holy Grail. Due to the vast limitations of the Java language, it was decided that Graal should be coded using a more intricate programming language. Soon, Graal had been programmed using a few languages, one of which included Object Pascal. The difference between Oak (Java) and Object Pascal (Delphi) is that Oak is a simple platform independent object-oriented programming language, while Object Pascal is also object-oriented, but it is also an imperative computer programming language, which makes it suitable for structured programming, thus allowing for a wider variety of features to be implemented to the game. Graal was also programmed with other languages, some of which includes some C++.

After these changes in programming languages, Graal exploded into the public. All it took was one person surfing the web to find this game and refer some of his friends, which in turn would refer their friends, which in turn would refer their friends, until Graal errupted into a massive MMORPG. Graal is a game like no other because it is dependent on it's players to keep running. When Graal was released, playable content was limited, and there wasn't a vast variety of things for players to embark on. It wasn't until Cyberjoueurs released their first version of the NPC Server that Graal development was taken to new heights. The NPC Server allowed for serverside scripting, which opened many opportunities for the developmental players to create content that would soon turn Graal into what it is today. Stefan Knorr made game development possible for Graal by creating his own scripting language, specifically for the game, which is called GScript (short for Graal Script). Today, a much better, object-oriented scripting language is available for Graal, which is called GScript2 (short for Graal Script v2). With the release of GScript2, Graal development escalated beyond new heights.

No other MMORPG is like Graal. Graal offers many opportunities for players to get involved with game development and essentially make the game become more acquainted to their own personal preferences. If you're into world design and carpentry, then the job of a Levels Administrator (shortened to LAT for Levels Administration Team) is just for you! As a Levels Administrator, you would be in charge of all world development for the server you'd choose to work under. You would be able to construct buildings, towns, cities, and even entire servers! The more precise detailing and effort you put into your levels, the more likely they are to attract other players! If you're into creating sounds and music, then the job of a SFX (short for Sound Effects) is just for you! As a part of the SFX team, you would be in charge of creating all sound effects and midi files that the server you work on would be using to better gameplay for the other players. A server with absolutely no sound at all is quite dull, and really ruins the gameplay. If you combine some nice sound effects with some nice midis, you could turn average places/objects into an above average extravaganza! If you're into programming, and are willing to learn a new scripting language, then the job of an NPC Administrator (shortened to NAT for NPC Administration Team) is for you! As an NPC Administrator, you will be in charge of coding Non-Player Characters (shortened to NPC's) for the server you wish to work for. Using GScript and/or GScript2, you will be able to code different systems for the players to be able to use and enjoy the server. The position of an NPC Administrator is very important in the developmental aspect of Graal, and everyone that is willing to give it a try can read up on tons of guides, created by veteran users of the scripting language. The job of an NPC Administrator is not easy, but with enough effort, work, and patience, you could grow to be one of the best around! If you're into creating graphics, then the job of a Graphics Administrator (shortened to GAT for Graphics Administration Team) is just for you! As a GAT, you will be in charge of designing all graphics for your server. A server is nothing without graphics to make it stand out above all other servers. Levels could never be stark without the use of graphics. Graphics are something that differentiate servers from each other, and are also a very important part of the developmental aspect of the game. There are many other staff positions that the game offers, but this was just a basic overview of the developmental positions available in the game. You should take note that there are also a few other developmental positions, but this is an overview of the most popular.

Graal would never be where it is today without the hard work and dedication of not only those at Cyberjoueurs, but also the players. For many, Graal is simply a developmental tool in which players play mainly to develop and create content that would in turn be enjoyed by a vast majority of individuals that play on the server that the content was created for. Development on Graal can get addicting, and is also very entertaining. Players spend hours upon hours developing content for the game, which in turn, makes the game better for the players. One cannot accuse Cyberjoueurs for being lazy for this reason, because without their hard work, the players wouldn't have the tools to develop. Cyberjoueurs constantly tries their best to keep the game updated for the players, and they also try their best to keep the developmental tools updated for the many developers that play the game. The developers at Cyberjoueurs all coincide together to construct new ideas for improvement on Graal, and integrate these ideas into a new version of their client.

Graal is currently 2-Dimensional, but is also being developed into a 3-Dimensional game, using the Torque Game Engine (TGE). Not many of the veteran Graalians (a term used to refer to the players of Graal) are quite fond of this idea, but I'm sure the team atCyberjoueurs could create a 3-Dimensional version of the game that will soon blow the old 2-Dimensional version out of the market. Whether the 3-Dimensional version will be a success or not is not known at this moment in time, but it definitely looks rather promising.

Not only is Graal a great game, but it also has great customer support. A support center was designed specifically for players to report any problems they may have with the game. Although the managing director and the technical director may not always be available to answer any questions right away, there are also other people you can go to for support. These group of players are known as Globals. The Globals are composed of a variety of talented players from the game that were given their position so that they could help the company with player support. Not many other MMORPG's have a group of active players that are around to give support as soon as possible as does Graal Online. Although some may question the time it takes to get the support needed, it is a fact that the support team works hard each day to make sure that the players get the support needed as soon as possible.

Like many other games, Graal Online has its own active community forum that is ran by both the administration and by a group of trusted players that Moderate the forums to keep anything that breaks the rules off the boards. The boards can be used to discuss events in life, events from the game, and also to get support from other players. Not all of the active members of the community are fond of the rules, but the moderation team does a nice job of making sure the community forum is as clean as possible. The members of the community forum just need to remember that Cyberjoueurs is a professional company, and the Graal Communication Center (GCC) must be professionally ran and kept in a professional manner. The Graal administration tries their best to give the players as much liberty as possible, but one must also keep in mind that this is the official communication center, thus, it must be kept in an official, professional, manner.

Graal is a game where the sky's the limit! With customer support, developmental tools that allow you to customize worlds to your own liking, and access to other players worlds, which allows you to play in different environments, it's amazing that Graal is not as popular as it should be. If the players continue to develop, and if the administration continues to provide updates, I'm sure Graal could end up evolving into one of the best MMORPG's on the net.

Last edited by Gambet; 08-01-2006 at 05:29 PM..
Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Typhoon Xanadu, Rawr.
MisterMastermind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MisterMastermind Send a message via MSN to MisterMastermind
Nice, long, but nice.

I believe in karma, so that I may do bad things to people and assume they deserve it.

Much love to all of the Xanadu's; Pip, BrAwLeR, Huwajux, Jo, KDS, RayP2P, Kenjaro, TripleE, Rykuz, Stoned4Life, juice188, Albi5erind, Tenchry_P2P, ryohazuki90, littlec, Snoro, MajinDragon, Allen, Spanishmafia1643, zwill, Wolfey, HitmanJ2XX, and UnknownMastermind.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Registered Omega
killerogue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to killerogue Send a message via MSN to killerogue
Nice one Gambet.

REMEMBER, IF YOU REP ME, LEAVE A NAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter View Post
Graal admins don't die. They go to hell and regroup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Without scripters, your graphics and levels wouldn't do anything but sit there and look pretty.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Chalk one up to me!
bahamutstevetff will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to bahamutstevetff Send a message via Yahoo to bahamutstevetff
thanx for teh history lesson, was interesting.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet
Graal was also programmed with other languages, some of which includes some C++ and Ruby.
Stefan once stated that Ruby could be implemented as a scripting language, but Graal was never written in Ruby.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I am the trap
Shiftk03- will become famous soon enough
Needs more pictures and less Gambet. Skyld is right though. Where is the Ruby?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
job of a SFX (short for Special Effects) is just for you

Sound effects? o-O
Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Eagle will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Eagle
I thought SFX was Sound, too.

AIM : FCartman007
Old account - 190
Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Zone Oracle
Huwajux will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Huwajux Send a message via MSN to Huwajux
Gambet, you should be a journalist, or a critic, or something. Nice read!

I wonder who was the FIRST ever player on Graal, excluding staff of course...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld
Stefan once stated that Ruby could be implemented as a scripting language, but Graal was never written in Ruby.

Oh, I was under the impression that some Ruby was already implemented into the system.

I updated my first post

And yes, SFX in this sense would be short for Sound Effects. Sorry about that, fixed my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huwajux
Gambet, you should be a journalist, or a critic, or something. Nice read!

I wonder who was the FIRST ever player on Graal, excluding staff of course...

You can read on the first Graalian here:

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=67691
Old 08-01-2006, 06:00 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like the way you completly ignored all of Graal's negative points and only stuck to positives. Apart from that, great overview.

Quote:
You can read on the first Graalian here:

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=67691
That's the first p2p I thought...

Quote:
they also try their best to keep the developmental tools updated for the many developers that play the game
The Graal Editor has not been updated in a long time, Graal Shop hasn't been updated in a while either.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Why did you write this?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel
Why did you write this?

I have a passion for writing, and I enjoy playing Graal.

When you combine the two, I can flutter into an uncontrollable orgy.

With all of the negativity going around lately, I figured the players needed some enlightenment as to what Graal has to offer that drew them into playing the game in the first place.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 AM
Typhoon Xanadu, Rawr.
MisterMastermind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MisterMastermind Send a message via MSN to MisterMastermind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet
I have a passion for writing, and I enjoy playing Graal.

When you combine the two, I can flutter into an uncontrollable orgy.

With all of the negativity going around lately, I figured the players needed some enlightenment as to what Graal has to offer that drew them into playing the game in the first place.
So you're basically trying to counter the reviews of people that dislike graal that were on the wiki, correct?

I believe in karma, so that I may do bad things to people and assume they deserve it.

Much love to all of the Xanadu's; Pip, BrAwLeR, Huwajux, Jo, KDS, RayP2P, Kenjaro, TripleE, Rykuz, Stoned4Life, juice188, Albi5erind, Tenchry_P2P, ryohazuki90, littlec, Snoro, MajinDragon, Allen, Spanishmafia1643, zwill, Wolfey, HitmanJ2XX, and UnknownMastermind.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:37 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Wait, "official"? How is this "official"?