Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Scripters? Anyone?

Is it me, or is the number of scripters declining....or at least not increasing. The introduction of a more powerfull language was good, but it had some drawbacks. Including a lack of offline support (people have to be staff on a server to upload anything, but how can they be staff if they can't script?) Plus you have the fact that a person learning to script will find the GS2, try it off line, and then, seeing that it doesn't work, give up. Graal needs either an offline editor for GS2, or at least a not to players that offline mode can only handle GS1, and still have guides and how-to's in Graal Bible. Also, maybe create templates of weapons. Nore, pre defined NPCs. You know, a door was one of the first things I could do on my own? And lights too, all because I could see the script when I made them, and learned how to modify it. After that, I started to play around with the other commands, but doors and lights can only teach you so much. Most people don't know how to script, and Graal needs to do something to make it easier to learn. This goes for the often-too-difficult-for-noobs task of making ganis as well
Old 04-13-2006, 12:38 AM
VulcanP2P is on a distinguished road
Not too long ago, Stefan was talking about eventually having people make script examples and making them publicly avaliable on GraalBible since there really aren't that many avaliable to people. Personally, I think it's a really good idea to have examples avaliable for people to learn.

For Zone or Guild Support use the Support Center
Old 04-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Punmaster
Sulukra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388
This goes for the often-too-difficult-for-noobs task of making ganis as well
The main problem with the graalshop is that most new people find it hard to input sprites. Its what turns them off of it. If we were to have a seperate window where a picture of the image pops up and we could just highlight the parts of the image we wanted to use as sprites, it'd just be so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanP2P
Not too long ago, Stefan was talking about eventually having people make script examples and making them publicly avaliable on GraalBible since there really aren't that many avaliable to people. Personally, I think it's a really good idea to have examples avaliable for people to learn.
Agreed. This is a great idea. Most of the limited scripting scripting commands I learned was from looking at other peoples scripts and learning from them the correct way to use certain commands.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Banned
Warcaptain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
The Online Level Editor stefan is having Er1c and I make is going to be released to the public as soon as Stefan finalizes some features that are to be added to it.

Also we are working on a fully functional scripted movement script so new playerworlds can use it to better customize their playerworld.. there are a lot of projects we are working on that will be public and we encourage everyone else to do the same.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Varia Developer
Angel_Light is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angel_Light Send a message via MSN to Angel_Light
Wasn't there talk of a "Offline/Online Editor that allows the player to personally play in the level with GS2 Scripts and such? O_o My friend and I were talking about this when we saw something on the forums.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Offline editor for the win.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Varia Developer
Angel_Light is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angel_Light Send a message via MSN to Angel_Light
Yea I like the offline becuase you can be the owner of your own personel server. XD
Old 04-13-2006, 01:35 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Light
Yea I like the offline becuase you can be the owner of your own personel server. XD
I like it because I actually own the level and don't have to upload it anywhere.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:57 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Yeah, having to upload your stuff everytime you want to test it makes it difficult for newbies to learn how online scripting works.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Graalian since 1998
osrs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to osrs Send a message via AIM to osrs Send a message via MSN to osrs Send a message via Yahoo to osrs
Quote:
and Graal needs to do something to make it easier to learn.
Dude, it is easy. People is too lazy to learn something, that's the problem.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Maniaman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcaptain
The Online Level Editor stefan is having Er1c and I make is going to be released to the public as soon as Stefan finalizes some features that are to be added to it.
What about me > I helped with it too.

Current Maloria Event: (click to go to it)
Old 04-13-2006, 02:15 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Quote:
Originally Posted by osrs
Dude, it is easy. People is too lazy to learn something, that's the problem.
So you not only can script, you do it well?
It is not easy for a noob to learn it right away if they have to upload their levels to a server (which they don't have access to) just to learn GS2, so they have to learn gs1 (if they can find the resources, otherwise, they have to teach themselves), THEN learn gs2. It could be so much easier. With the way it is now, i can't see us getting any new scripters in the near future
Old 04-13-2006, 02:22 AM
RED SQUARE CLUB
Damix2 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
So you not only can script, you do it well?
It is not easy for a noob to learn it right away if they have to upload their levels to a server (which they don't have access to) just to learn GS2, so they have to learn gs1 (if they can find the resources, otherwise, they have to teach themselves), THEN learn gs2. It could be so much easier. With the way it is now, i can't see us getting any new scripters in the near future

Or they could joint a community like #gscript which runs a server for testing scripts
Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Registered Punmaster
Sulukra is on a distinguished road
The main problem I have with GS2 is lack of offline resources. For GS1, there was that little tutorial and all the other stuff, but I don't see anything downloading itself into my graal folder about that for GS2.

Yay, 200th post.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:49 AM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
If someone really wanted to learn, they can. If I did it, anyone can.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.