Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Zone Oracle
Huwajux will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Huwajux Send a message via MSN to Huwajux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Wait, "official"? How is this "official"?
Don't spoil it. >_>
Old 08-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Wait, "official"? How is this "official"?

Because I officially verified it

Hah, dunno, just found the title to be catchy. I wrote this overview pretty late, so I just used the first thing that came to mind. I'm usually good with titles, hence The Lounge being named after my title recommendation, but I don't know, I like it :P.

This overview was officially written by me

NOTE: I can only post once every 8 hours or so, so sorry for the wait for the response.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:29 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet
hence The Lounge being named after my title recommendation, but I don't know, I like it :P.
A considerable demonstration of your naming ability, given all the superior suggestions it had to beat out.

Quote:
Oak (Java)
Oh wow. You're calling it Oak. Trying a little too hard to sound smart there, huh?

Last edited by Googi; 08-02-2006 at 08:48 PM..
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
I consider your article quite inaccurate in a bunch of aspects, and while I ordinarily would not care, I was urged to point out some very glaring inaccuracies to prevent uneducated Graalians from being confused!

Quote:
The difference between Oak (Java) and Object Pascal (Delphi) is that Oak is a simple platform independent object-oriented programming language, while Object Pascal is also object-oriented, but it is also an imperative computer programming language, which makes it suitable for structured programming, thus allowing for a wider variety of features to be implemented to the game. Graal was also programmed with other languages, some of which includes some C++.
None of this makes any sense.

Oak is not Java. An early version of Java was called Oak but I am pretty certain that Stefan did not use it to program Zelda Online. Still using that name serves absolutely no purpose. Also, the Delphi programming language is not strictly equal to Object Pascal, at least not after like the first version of Delphi. Sure, it it is was some dialect of Object Pascal but it still is its own variant and incompatible with regular Pascal or other Object Pascal dialects. There is no reason to refer to the Delphi language as Object Pascal if you are not going to base your argument on its Pascal heritage.

Java is not any less suitable for structured programming. Java is actually specifically designed for enterprise-level, component-based programming, and as such much more suitable for "structured" things than a derivative of Pascal, which was intended as a pure teaching language. Calling it "simple" totally misses the point, as Java is much more engineered to be scalable and structurability is directly built into the language in many aspects, much more than it is the case with Delphi. Java can be considered way more modern than Pascal and comes with an extensive standard library.

Also I would like to know how Pascal is more imperative than Java and how that is supposed to be an advantage.

How was Graal programmed "with other languages"? The client was strictly Delphi and the server was strictly C++, there is not "some C++" (though you might argue that Stefan's C++ style resembled Delphi and Java a lot) and there is no margin for other languages to be included (except for comedy MySQL statements).

Quote:
Level Administrator ... NPC Administrator .. Graphics Administrator
This is a pet peeve of mine but I would like to argue that people should start small before becoming involved with administration of any kind. Also your description of the various fields manages to sound very excited and important without really being all that informative regarding what each is about.

Also, seriously, I would have to try hard to give a more onesided description of Graal than you have. Do you acknowledge that you ignore many important aspects or do you want me to go into detail?

Last edited by Loriel; 08-02-2006 at 11:26 PM..
Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld
Stefan once stated that Ruby could be implemented as a scripting language, but Graal was never written in Ruby.
I think he only did that to get me to shut up because I would not stop mentioning Ruby, and I do not even think Ruby would work with Graal's object model anymore
Old 08-11-2006, 01:28 AM
The Shiznic
Tyrial is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, well I wish that Graal really was that good.. But too bad, this game does not rox my sox.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 AM
The Blackswan
pooper200000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pooper200000
I really like that gambet you write a lot like my sister no offense ment. She works for people magaines and you write better than her actually!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 AM
The David
Projectshifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Projectshifter Send a message via AIM to Projectshifter Send a message via MSN to Projectshifter Send a message via Yahoo to Projectshifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld
Stefan once stated that Ruby could be implemented as a scripting language, but Graal was never written in Ruby.
Thankfully it was never implemented :P

Quote:
Graal is a game like no other because it is dependent on it's players to keep running.
Um... excuse me? Are you suggesting then that Graal is the only game that needs it's players? lol

Quote:
Stefan Knorr made game development possible for Graal by creating his own scripting language, specifically for the game, which is called GScript (short for Graal Script). Today, a much better, object-oriented scripting language is available for Graal, which is called GScript2 (short for Graal Script v2). With the release of GScript2, Graal development escalated beyond new heights.
You fail to mention the huge limitations and problems with the language. If you've never done any real programming then yeah, it seems amazing and limitless, but comparatively it's not the most efficient nor reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel
Java is not any less suitable for structured programming. Java is actually specifically designed for enterprise-level, component-based programming, and as such much more suitable for "structured" things than a derivative of Pascal, which was intended as a pure teaching language. Calling it "simple" totally misses the point, as Java is much more engineered to be scalable and structurability is directly built into the language in many aspects, much more than it is the case with Delphi. Java can be considered way more modern than Pascal and comes with an extensive standard library.
Quoted for the truth. While I hate Java (and I add "with a passion"), Java is a lot more "modern" and scalable than Delphi (object oriented pascal). Delphi isn't a bad language, but it's really only comparable to VB, it lacks much of the speed and low-level abilites of Java and C/C++.

This concludes my random post of the year. Enjoy, and Gambet, stop kissing ass =/ I'd think you'd at least have some understanding of the global staff system and how "structered" and "together" it is. I'll come back to Graal once the staff system stops being corrupt and biased, and when the scripting language gets better. Tschues
Old 08-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel
I think he only did that to get me to shut up because I would not stop mentioning Ruby, and I do not even think Ruby would work with Graal's object model anymore
It probably would not.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Um... excuse me? Are you suggesting then that Graal is the only game that needs it's players? lol
He means for the players to be the ones to do most of the developing/"owning" pw's/making their own ****.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Very nice.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:33 PM
googleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectshifter
I don't think he means it in THAT way. He just means that Graal would be worthless without players because players are the ones who make Graal what it is. In other mmorpgs, the designers develop the game. With Graal however, nobody wants to do anything good. So you can't say anything special about Graal.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectshifter
You fail to mention the huge limitations and problems with the language. If you've never done any real programming then yeah, it seems amazing and limitless, but comparatively it's not the most efficient nor reliable.
It is not reliable ? It might not be the most efficient language, but you can say that about many languages. For me the biggest problem right now is that it is not well documented enough, people also need more examples.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Stiff Upper Lip
Zero Hour is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zero Hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
It is not reliable ? It might not be the most efficient language, but you can say that about many languages. For me the biggest problem right now is that it is not well documented enough, people also need more examples.
Hire someone to document it, baby.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
lol.. Stefan please make another awsuem economy-centered kingdoms server called Graal2006 (or 7) ASAP plz.. try to use the G2k1 world etc.