Hie thee hence! 2 14.29%
Huh? 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
National Revolution

Okay. I'm talking to Terazel, he's got a fair idea for nation battles. So I guess I'm back to nursemaid this idea to completion.

The core of it's simple. Three nations (like superguilds), and every playerhouse (at least the ones that aren't vital to quests) is a mini fort. In general a nation's headquarters will be comprised completely of houses owned by that nation - perhaps there will be a final fortification for use as some sorta spawn point or national HQ or something, that's not important in phase one. The point is, if one nation controls a territory they have loads of houses in which to hide and heal - if a defending knight hides in a house to heal and the invading knight knocks down the door, he can butcher the inhabitant and himself heal in the newly captured territory.

Anyway. My time and skills are limited, as is my access - who is with me, and who stands in opposition?

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 07-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
If this is Nations as you were developing it before, then I personally don't think it really sits well with the view of what Classic is meant to be.

I encourage you to talk with me though.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Official Idle/Level Maker
hampy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to hampy Send a message via AIM to hampy Send a message via MSN to hampy Send a message via Yahoo to hampy
Huh?!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:55 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
If this is Nations as you were developing it before, then I personally don't think it really sits well with the view of what Classic is meant to be.
What is classic meant to be?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Uh, Tyhm, I don't think that idea would really work, and would be a real pain in the ass to implement... I was actually planning on integrating the little access we have to the global guild DB into a local DB system instead, and reusing the Nations NPCs in that system with certain requirements to attaining them.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:04 AM
*TUCH U SO HARD*
LOA--Paul will become famous soon enough
Gold. I want to see that come about!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Psionic Youth
*shrugs* Implementation's open. It can be developed parallel to the LAT's current work, as all that'd need to change for the way I see it is a few quick edits to the join door; class, (then maybe a few edits to the join questdoor; class, ie making a questdoor class and joining all the important doors to that). I've noticed a lot of changes to the storage of server strings since I left - a single array could hypothetically hold every door on the server, but I'm open to suggestions on what would be the most efficient way of handling it (if each door invents its own serverstring - setstring door#L#v(x)#v(y),#g(0) (or however that translates in GS2)). Only needs to read on created (assuming that still/finally covers level updates) and changed. 20 hearts should be a good health number for the doors, nothing too crazy in either direction. Ultimately I'd like to implement an NPC guard system for when everyone in a nation's asleep or at school - strong defense, lousy offence, you don't have to worry about a counterattack but it's easier to attack them when they're actually online to control themselves (and the NPC guards are switched off)...

Current problem - guildtags can be turned off. 's why I'd like Nation tags.

Masterstorm and Massokre, I'm pretty sure you guys have my contact info. I'd contact you guys, but you tend to have some pretty weird handles (whereas I'm always the one on the contact list named Tyhm...)

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 07-10-2006, 05:30 AM
Former Classic Staff
uhhh.... you wouldn't want to store all of that in a server string.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Psionic Youth
*shrugs* Would the overhead be less to have a large number of server strings? Or is there a robust (surviving level-update and purgings) variable format that could handle it? Or would it be safe to just have the door remember itself? I suppose the rest of the server doesn't Need to know everything about every door on the server...

Old 07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo
Yeah Tyhm, Classic stands for stagnation now, anything new would be disastrous to the server.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Bells doppleganger
nikomi946 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nikomi946 Send a message via AIM to nikomi946 Send a message via Yahoo to nikomi946
Maximus, shut it. The original Nations idea may have bombed but dialogue on a differant version isn't knocking the idea out of the water completely. For once let them talk without turning this into a slam session please. Progress is born of ideas, even if those ideas aren't easily recognizeable in the end.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm
*shrugs* Would the overhead be less to have a large number of server strings? Or is there a robust (surviving level-update and purgings) variable format that could handle it? Or would it be safe to just have the door remember itself? I suppose the rest of the server doesn't Need to know everything about every door on the server...
Doors are database NPCs. All database NPCs variables survive on update. However, it would be a defining concept of the server if this were to be added, and I doubt it would have much interest to the players.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm
Masterstorm and Massokre, I'm pretty sure you guys have my contact info. I'd contact you guys, but you tend to have some pretty weird handles (whereas I'm always the one on the contact list named Tyhm...)
I don't remember even using a wierd handle? Oh well, I'll hit you up on AIM sometime.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Psionic Youth
You're Polo and Stormy, he's Mass and Eclipse. It's all a bit of a headache, given that I'm Tyhm and Tyhm.

If the players don't care that the doors change colors every so often as the nations fight over the cities, then all that's happened is I've wasted my time. If they do care, then hurray, we've given them something to do while we wait on the next quest. Or baddies. Whatever.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Emily_Cruddas is on a distinguished road
I'm interested, since guilds may not ever be as large as 150+ anymore this will help get major fights going on classic again, besides, lots have changed already, and you'll never know if you like something or not unless you try it.