Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2006, 03:49 AM
Midnight_Magician is on a distinguished road
Single-player Graal

Has anyone ever thought of making a single-player campaign with Graal? Something that could be ran from the level editor.

My friend wants to do a project that takes the plotline of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and turn it into a single-player adventure using Graal.

Anywhos, he wants to do some things that would require a lot of complex GS that is way over my head. So if anyone would be interested in helping out with a project then please contact:

AIM: King Sabre RS
Email: [email protected]
Old 05-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Archon Omen
HunterCano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HunterCano
Doubt copying a series storyline is allowed.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Enigma
Andy0687 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterCano
Doubt copying a series storyline is allowed.
I doubt in single player there is any way anyone could ever enforce such a thing.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Grraaaaaw
Tom is on a distinguished road
I've always wanted to create a single player server, but with multiplayer options as its available, but i can never stick to one project.

But would be nice to see you guys do it
Old 05-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
I was considering this with the Era tileset, just as a fun to-do. Of course, there's always the people that will read the code and tell everyone how to beat this, these and those.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Wasnt (is?) Shaded Legend semi-single player?

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 05-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Originally people used to make worlds in the level editor and then distribute them in ziparchives. It would be awesome to see one.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:22 PM
:pluffy:
Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx
Wasnt (is?) Shaded Legend semi-single player?
The story focused more on the single player finishing quests in order to gain information to restore the world to normal. After all of that it's kinda community oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld
Originally people used to make worlds in the level editor and then distribute them in ziparchives. It would be awesome to see one.
I remember seeing one that was basically Zelda 64 for Graal. Forgot how big the game was, but it was fun to play with Graal.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
Yes, it's been done, but not for awhile. Also, Graal used to support offline multiplayer. I used to have a lot of fun with that.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Yes, it's been done, but not for awhile. Also, Graal used to support offline multiplayer. I used to have a lot of fun with that.
Too bad it didn't support Lan. I don't like the Arrow Keys and the Num Pad to play
Old 05-29-2006, 04:54 AM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
ya i remember when i had a 1.28 gserver (which did not have ap, but it was the most stable freely distributed client, the 1.31 gserver crashed morein my experience.)

I think the reason that those little quests and even mini worlds were so much fun is that people were not out to impress anyone else, or to meet some high standard. They were just having as much fun making a game as they were playing the game that they created.

And that's what the next revolution of thought in graal should come back to.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:03 PM
The David
Projectshifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Projectshifter Send a message via AIM to Projectshifter Send a message via MSN to Projectshifter Send a message via Yahoo to Projectshifter
Technically you could write a couple of scripts to make on online server "single player". Just don't have it draw other players and make as much of it clientsided as possible. I don't see the point though in having something like this, Graal isn't the most competitive MMORPG, but it is a bit nice, but if you were to make it single player, wouldn't you want something with a bit better graphics and that is a bit more expansive?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Enigma
Andy0687 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectshifter
Technically you could write a couple of scripts to make on online server "single player".
Talk about a major waste of money.

Quote:
I don't see the point though in having something like this, Graal isn't the most competitive MMORPG, but it is a bit nice, but if you were to make it single player, wouldn't you want something with a bit better graphics and that is a bit more expansive?
No.

Why is everyone always about the major graphics and stuff, simple is better.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:46 AM
Awesome
morte_da_tossico is on a distinguished road
i used graal to do a school project like 4 years ago.. i made a single player adventure of the odyssey... the part with the cyclops and all that.

it's actually alot of fun but in order to make a good offline graal experience you do need a lot of very interactable NPCs. luckily you don't have to worry about what's serverside and what's not! but at the same time you lose a lot of good features... no DB npcs = : (

EDIT: whoever mentioned LAN support might really be on to something... what better way for people learning to script then to have their own, nice little LAN graal server? it'd be hella nice for learning to script and work as a graal staff member and it could definately be oodles of fun too. stefan would most likely say "no" though.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Criminal X
PrinceDark will become famous soon enough
i would play a single player server online whenever i get bored. it would need to have some good quests and monsters to keep me interested tho.