Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2006, 02:50 AM
Panda
Lao_Su2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lao_Su2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaman
What about me > I helped with it too.
And Maniman has helped a lot with the project. Silly Wc forgot to mention you, but I will not. Thanks a lot for all the help!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Banned
Warcaptain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
Rawr yes you helped, but you need to get your stuff working.. cant just give up because Stefan makes it harder by not including features for things :-P If we all waited around for Stefan to make things easier for us we'd never have any work done
Old 04-13-2006, 03:43 AM
Graalian since 1998
osrs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to osrs Send a message via AIM to osrs Send a message via MSN to osrs Send a message via Yahoo to osrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388
So you not only can script, you do it well?
I do.

Quote:
It is not easy for a noob to learn it right away if they have to upload their levels to a server (which they don't have access to) just to learn GS2, so they have to learn gs1 (if they can find the resources, otherwise, they have to teach themselves), THEN learn gs2. It could be so much easier. With the way it is now, i can't see us getting any new scripters in the near future
If you want to learn, you will learn. It's just motivation. I have learned by myself my skills. About gs1 scripting, there are many resources, such as newfeatures documents and so on. It's not an excuse.
Being lazy is.

Last edited by osrs; 04-13-2006 at 04:09 AM..
Old 04-13-2006, 05:20 AM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
I do agree with one of the original intentions of this post.

Make gs2 work offline in the level editor, please.
no sense in teaching the new players old gscript
and then, keeping them on as customers and wanting them to spend more money when they figure out how to buy a playerworld,
it's just bad business to have them learn that gs1 is "outdated" and they have to re-learn scripting. it just makes for another level of difficulty for the customer.

I myself am still adjusting to gscript 2.
Used to be, i would have solutions for npcs i wanted appear to me literally in my dreams, in old gscript - it was that ingrained into my mind process.

I would have much rather just had gscript 2 from the start.
so, it's too late for me, but the rest of the new players - let them have gs2 offline.

also in the online rc npc editor, an equivelant of commands.rtf for gs2
so that we have a quick refrence guide - and no, the wiki is not a quick refrence guide. it's a searchable/browsable database.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Enigma
Andy0687 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by osrs
If you want to learn, you will learn. It's just motivation. I have learned by myself my skills. About gs1 scripting, there are many resources, such as newfeatures documents and so on. It's not an excuse.
Being lazy is.
I have got to disagree with you finally, gs2 has a severe lack of documentation plus the fact it works no where else but online, is a major drawback.

"hey can I work on your server scripting?"
"Do you know any scripting?"
"Uh, no, i was just hoping to sit around and try to learn by using your server you paid money for"
"Nope sorry, dont think so"

Some things reading them you just dont understand till you see them in action.

The only other thing I can say about the origonal post is I am really trying to encourage people to help out in the scripting forum. It is the place most people will come to first for help if they dont know about GraalWiki or the GraalBible, and its likely if they have a bad experince there, they will either not go looking anywhere else and give up, or they will just continue to be very horrid scripters.

And @Prozac: Gs1 may be depreciated as far as some scripters go, but its far from very outdated. Its also much simpler to do if you havent had a good background in programming.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
gs2 will never be ported offline its sad to say but true I have a feeling Stefan will come up with another way to do it... maybe a special online npc-sever/gserver that allows for multiple users to work in-game in their own levels would have to have some serious fault checking though so one person cant make an infinite loop that crashes NPC-Server and stefan has to come on and check every script for errors.. would need to automaticly disable the script causing the error, and restart..

anyways getting off topic.. as ive said its going to be tough to make this transition, but its a good place to move to.. GS2 is the future of graal and makes amazing things possible
Old 04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Why won't it ever go offline, noobs will have a hard time doing anything online. And if something is too hard, they probably won't want to start it. If it's easier to learn, more people will want to learn.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
On the GraalBible, people can contribute their own documents for scripts there. Remember, unixmad said a lot of contributes from someone can benefit in an upgrade as a reward for such work.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned
Quote:
Why won't it ever go offline, noobs will have a hard time doing anything online. And if something is too hard, they probably won't want to start it. If it's easier to learn, more people will want to learn.
because stefan would have to script an entire virtual server offline for it.. which means completely rescripting an offline npc-server/gserver as well as porting the new gs2 into the offline editor.. do you remember how long it took to test everything and get everything working to where its at now? stefan doesnt have the man power what so ever to do that kind of thing and he will never release his source
Old 04-14-2006, 03:07 AM
Graalian since 1998
osrs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to osrs Send a message via AIM to osrs Send a message via MSN to osrs Send a message via Yahoo to osrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinko
Remember, unixmad said a lot of contributes from someone can benefit in an upgrade as a reward for such work.
Don't want to start any discussion or so, but unixmad's word isn't worth of trust.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Step 1:
  • Buy a server
  • Be hired on a server
  • Use a community server (#gscript has one, for example)
Step 2:[*]Look at the documentation on the wiki, or look at other scripts available on the server. You're not totally in the dark, y'know?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned
SilentOne1988 is on a distinguished road
Not like theres any incentive for scripting on a graal server. Staff are lazy and its impossible to find a team thats motivated enough to complete something. Paying money to work != Motivation. If people could work on a server for free (without requirement of gold or VIP), we might see some slightly more amazing things. Also if people were allowed to give access to certain things for real money, I think it would also be a great incentive to work.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
There are a whole lot less level designers than scripters on GraalOnline now.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:19 PM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
it's the easiest thing in the world to say that such and such won't work
and point out flaws in people or communitues.

it takes bravery to go and learn the required skills and attempt to do what others have given up on : making a playerworld that works.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:28 PM
The David
Projectshifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Projectshifter Send a message via AIM to Projectshifter Send a message via MSN to Projectshifter Send a message via Yahoo to Projectshifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by osrs
Dude, it is easy. People is too lazy to learn something, that's the problem.
I think it's one of the more relatively easy languages to learn.