Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Vega001 is on a distinguished road
Leveling Style: "Proportional Realism"

A while back, I decided to put an idea I had for a while into practice. Buildings on Graal are predominantly larger on the inside than their outside counterparts would suggest. A few places on Unholy Nation had images that would fade away revealing an inside that was the same size as the outside (without a level warp). Putting these two facts together, I whipped up an outside level and linked it with an inside made by Brutus. The result was two levels with an interesting level transition effect and perfect proportionality (1:1) between inside and outside. For now, I've decided to call this effect and proportionality "Proportional Realism."

The two levels, including all images used in each, are attached to this post.

I'd like anyone interested to take a look at them. To experience the effect, you must test the levels in the offline editor's Play feature (to my knowledge, I believe Gonstruct does not have this feature so you may to use the default level editor). To avoid getting stuck, open brutus_inside.nw, play, and exit the level to begin to view the effect.

The outside of the building was built directly off of a copy of the inside. A roof was placed to cover everything while the windows and walls remained the same. I detailed the rest of the outside according to my style.

A couple notes:
1. I don't, in any way, take credit for the inside level. Brutus made the inside level entirely. I have edited some NPC images with my own images, but that is the extent of my work on that level. Brutus deserves all credit for the inside.
2. A number of my own images are used in both levels. I think I included all images used in the zip folder along with the levels, but there is a chance I missed some. Let me know if any images do not display properly or at all.

I will welcome constructive feedback on this leveling style. Remember to reply or PM me if you have any questions or issues with the attached files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vega_Proportional_Realism.zip (26.8 KB, 339 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Babylon OG
Lord Sephiroth will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lord Sephiroth
It's a neat effect, not something that hasn't been attempted before, but unfortunately that kind of style leads to rather monstrous or ugly houses, much like the one in your level. (Not calling it ugly, just saying its practically half the level).

I forget my point, but I think the style has been attempted by every designer at one point or another, and at some point they realize that theres better options. Making the insides shaped the same as the outside, rather than the exact same size as it appears on the overworld, for example.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
very neat concept although i think it's a little impractical. i guess if you have the time and can create graphics as you go it could work.

you'd need a very good leveler to pull it off effectively though.

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
you'd need a very good leveler to pull it off effectively though.
I've tried it before, many times, and it aint that hard.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
The reason this particular transition works so well is because the house is in the exact same position in both the outside and inside levels. (i.e. in both levels the door is at 29,51).

If you were to try and recreate the same effect on an actual server some buildings would cross over a level link, and then in order to retain the same effect the inside would need to be split across levels as well. Which isn't really as feasible.

It is cool, but it'd be much cooler to just have the "inside view" on the overworld, and use an image that fades when you're near it for the roof of every single building.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
can someone post a screenshot?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
We're at the point then...how big does an inside have to be? Think "realistic" aswell, if you try to do this :P

This here would do, IMO, and other houses can have more stages or go underground (take zodiacs OSL as example, it doesnt even have windows so it could aswell be underground, as it basicly IS (logically) since it's leading to a cave with other entrances), if more space is needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thatwilldo.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	51156  

Last edited by Elk; 06-08-2010 at 05:06 PM..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
can someone post a screenshot?
Inside-------------------------Outside
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insidelevelimage1.png
Views:	413
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	51157 Click image for larger version

Name:	Outsidelevelimage1.png
Views:	403
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	51158
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
The inside is pleasant but if I ever saw an outside like that I'd be expecting a much bigger inside. I'd rather not see realism like this though.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Thank god that this proportional realism idea isn't in effect.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
For some reason, it just doesn't seem to work very well in practice, but i'm not wholly against it. Although, the transition, being able to walk into the building before the level changes, makes a huge difference for me. It's a lot better that way.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
i hate it o-o
Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Vega001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
The reason this particular transition works so well is because the house is in the exact same position in both the outside and inside levels. (i.e. in both levels the door is at 29,51).

If you were to try and recreate the same effect on an actual server some buildings would cross over a level link, and then in order to retain the same effect the inside would need to be split across levels as well. Which isn't really as feasible.

It is cool, but it'd be much cooler to just have the "inside view" on the overworld, and use an image that fades when you're near it for the roof of every single building.
Yeah I forgot to mention that the two "buildings" and the doors are in the same location. If I were to continue doing this on a large-scale basis, I would ensure insides and outsides were aligned as such.

Obviously the outside view of the building is humongous. Given our expectations with levels on Graal, I don't think it's easy for us to expect an inside sized the way it is for such a large outside.

I think Elk is on the ball though. Most inside levels need not have a ton of space. Important levels like an OSL, an Events House, Sparring House, etc. are meant to hold large numbers of players so it's logical to make these buildings with large insides and thus large outsides. For other buildings like playerhouses or shops, I don't think you need a whole lot of room. This means the insides and outsides could be smaller.

Even so, I wouldn't attempt using this idea for large-scale leveling generally anywhere except a brand new server that could adopt it from the beginning.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I wouldn't think about using it at all. There's a reason you rarely see this implemented in any games(ESPECIALLY 2D games). It might be cool here and there to see, but I think there are more important things to focus such effort on, especially when you consider in the gaming world, gamers have come to terms with the fact that unrealistic things happen.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
The inside is pleasant but if I ever saw an outside like that I'd be expecting a much bigger inside. I'd rather not see realism like this though.
I agree with you there, the inside is pretty cool, but the outside could need a little fix up'.

Two more floors maybe, and a balcony or something like that.