Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Zeross is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Era - Facebook

I realize this and many other large situations are all-inclusive in the recent topic of Conversation : Graal (Free To Play).

However, I'm curious, specifically, whats the thought of an Era-Facebook?
It looks good on paper, but many things do before being dissected properly.

So, on that note:
What's the thought of an Era-Facebook in comparison to the PC Era?

From first-glance, it seems as though it'd detract away from PC Era,
if its even partially as successful as Era iPhone or Classic iPhone. The playerbase would easily trump that of the PC Era and with more people to kill there, it seems many people would shift to that version, instead. (Just my first-glance thought)

Whats everyone to think though?

Furthermore, will the Era-Staff be pursuing a structure in which the Free-To-Play Concept can be actualized?

Answers, =o.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
We haven't been told anything. It is likely that Era on Facebook will be Era iPhone with some additions to make it easier to play on a computer—this is shown in the screenshots as well. I would guess that Era PC will be scrapped soon after the Facebook release (but again, unixmad has ignored my questions, so I don't know). They won't want two versions of Era.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 AM
I did read somewhere that he would introduce standards in-which pc servers may convert to the Free-To-Play concept and be advertised as such, or am I mistaken?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:53 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post
I did read somewhere that he would introduce standards in-which pc servers may convert to the Free-To-Play concept and be advertised as such, or am I mistaken?
He said that, but the problem is that I can't imagine them having two competing servers with the same graphics, the same concept, and the same name on Facebook. I think it will come down to them killing either iEra or PC Era.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:56 AM
You don't seem to have much of a competitive spirit.
If that's the case, why don't the developmental bodies combine and formulate a Hybrid Era? An inclusion of the classic Era traditions and the new Era advancements.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
We still don't really know how well the Flash client performs yet so it's hard to say if the current playerworlds will be able to run at an acceptable rate.

Being able to provide PR support for the entire platform is another headache that interests me.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
We still don't really know how well the Flash client performs yet so it's hard to say if the current playerworlds will be able to run at an acceptable rate.

Being able to provide PR support for the entire platform is another headache that interests me.
If you also go to a flash game site, we should also think onto account of hacking and exploits... There's a whole new bag of problems there.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
I've been mining information about the Facebook transition for awhile so let me share some of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I would guess that Era PC will be scrapped soon after the Facebook release. They won't want two versions of Era.
The rational for going with iClassic and iEra is because they are:
  • proven to rake in cash;
  • already being touched a lot by Stefan, so he is familiar with them; and,
  • free of any coordination troubles with existing managers/staff.
It basically all comes down to getting fbGraal done quickly and pushing it out. The other playerworlds can 'come later' so to speak.

I know this is really terrible thing to do to PC Era and PC Classic, but it should be expected by now. Unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
I've heard through the grapevine that it performs very well. The implementation is using a C->Flash converter called Alchemy, made by Adobe. Alchemy works something a little like Java, but converts from C to run on the AVM2 rather than from Java to run on the JVM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Ah, that makes perfect sense, then.
Staff don't seem to be so thrilled about it.
But then again, sounds like one of those "oh well" situations.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post
Ah, that makes perfect sense, then.
Staff don't seem to be so thrilled about it.
But then again, sounds like one of those "oh well" situations.
That's because we've been given a vague idea on the news.
We don't know the entire system or what it truly entails.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
I don't know what is going to happen with PC Era. I do think iEra is going to be the FB version though
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
I dunno, but I get the feeling that the Android/iOS/Facebook versions will be released as "Standalone games" created by Eurocentre and the PC version is essentially going to be rendered as a total development platform (Hence the dev tool updates all of a sudden that were announced) and Gold/Classic/Hosted will cease to exist (or be completely useless) and everything will be "Design your own world, play with your own stuff, invite friends to play your personal "space" etc etc instead, doing away with a server list entirely and just have news from the "Standalone games" being updated to the login screen. Money made from the PC version would just be extra bread on the side since the other versions are raking in the real dough.

Personal feeling of course, but the way things are being set up, if it were my idea I'm sure it would have crossed my mind to look at it that way. Certainly makes for a global gelat shop possible rather than multiple gelat shops on servers and can still do away with the account subscription since it's no longer necessary, charging people only for creating servers.
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
I dunno, but I get the feeling that the Android/iOS/Facebook versions will be released as "Standalone games" created by Eurocentre and the PC version is essentially going to be rendered as a total development platform (Hence the dev tool updates all of a sudden that were announced) and Gold/Classic/Hosted will cease to exist (or be completely useless) and everything will be "Design your own world, play with your own stuff, invite friends to play your personal "space" etc etc instead, doing away with a server list entirely and just have news from the "Standalone games" being updated to the login screen. Money made from the PC version would just be extra bread on the side since the other versions are raking in the real dough.

Personal feeling of course, but the way things are being set up, if it were my idea I'm sure it would have crossed my mind to look at it that way. Certainly makes for a global gelat shop possible rather than multiple gelat shops on servers and can still do away with the account subscription since it's no longer necessary, charging people only for creating servers.
I also think this is a possible idea for them. Not to mention they could then take the servers they think have potential and them make them into facebook servers and what not. So basically, we get to do all the work, and they can just copy/paste that work and start raking in the money.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
guys did u see facebook aps? lmao facebook era will never be able to compete with real era, it will just have more players like iphone era but if some ppl to correct advertising jobs much more ppl will come to real era
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykiller View Post
guys did u see facebook aps? lmao facebook era will never be able to compete with real era, it will just have more players like iphone era but if some ppl to correct advertising jobs much more ppl will come to real era
You couldn't be more wrong. Are you aware facebook has over 500 million active users? Theres no way PC Era will ever be able to compete with iEra/Facebook Era. Ever.