Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Not the fruit.
Kiwi27 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Terrain Generator: Offline Help

Hey,

I've been working on my own little offline server(s - Same server, different types of tilesets, etc), And right now I'm attempting to use the Terrain Generator for it.

The actual design part is working okay for me, but I'm having trouble using it in the offline editor.

So, would someone please be able to make a more simplified guide to doing it that's more compatible with my small brain?

Also, if anyone wants a more detailed idea of what it is thatsnot working, I'd be happy to include it in my next post .

Thanks,

Kiwi
Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
This might help.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
How To Generate and Use a Terrain Map Offline

You can replace yourworld with anything you want below.

Step 1. Download and Run Terrain Generator
Step 2. Change the Generator Options to your liking. (See Image 1)
Step 3. Check off 'Generate Graal levels'
Step 4. Click 'Generate World'

Step 5. Create a Blank Folder for your New Overworld Map (See Image 2)
Step 6. Save yourworld.gmap in your new folder.

Step 7. Navigate to your new overworld's folder, if done correctly you should see all the levels in the folder. (See Image 3)
Step 8. Open yourworld_aa-01.nw

Step 9. Lay an empty NPC on the level. (See Image 4)
Step 10. Give it the following script:

PHP Code:
//Tutorial by fp4
//#CLIENTSIDE
if (created) {

removetiledefs;

addtiledef picso.png,yourworld_,5;

loadmap yourworld;

Step 11. Close the script.
Step 12. You should see the terrain properly with the default GK/terrain tileset.

Editing terrain is fairly simple, just click and drag the + up or down to manipulate the elevation.

The overworld can then be uploaded to your server and be set up like any other gmap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1.png
Views:	170
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	52704   Click image for larger version

Name:	step2.png
Views:	159
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	52705   Click image for larger version

Name:	step3.png
Views:	127
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	52706   Click image for larger version

Name:	step4.png
Views:	158
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	52707  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Not the fruit.
Okay. Thanks

This looks way easier to understand

EDIT: Still doesn't work. When I saved it, it said it would be saved as a gmap, but when I look at it, its just a file, so it doesn't work. Help?

Last edited by Kiwi27; 04-16-2011 at 12:03 AM..
Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Not the fruit.
I know its been around half an hour, but *Bump*
Old 04-16-2011, 01:06 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Does renaming it to give it a gmap extension work?
Old 04-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Coder
0PiX0 is a jewel in the rough0PiX0 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi27 View Post
EDIT: Still doesn't work. When I saved it, it said it would be saved as a gmap, but when I look at it, its just a file, so it doesn't work. Help?
So rename the file adding .gmap as the file extension, or save it again as mygmapfilename.gmap rather than just mygmapfilename.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Not the fruit.
YAY! Thanks to all of you who have helped me. This is the first time its ever worked for me
Old 04-16-2011, 03:32 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Adding this easy to understand guide to the wiki... good job
Old 04-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Not the fruit.
This is... Kind of depressing. A few hours ago, I posted it was working. But that was only the showing as a gmap file with all the levels. But, when I tried to use the gmap, I put all the script into a NPC, as you said, but

1. It only shows the one flat tile everywhere, not the actual terrain, and
2. It shows the warp, but no handy arrow thing to move around the gmap.

Help?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
ZIP up your folder with the GMAP file and all it's levels in it and attach it please.

When you're saving you need to put the .gmap extention at the end. If you save it as just:

yourworld instead of yourworld.gmap it messes up, and doesn't generate the levels properly.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
ZIP up your folder with the GMAP file and all it's levels in it and attach it please.

When you're saving you need to put the .gmap extention at the end. If you save it as just:

yourworld instead of yourworld.gmap it messes up, and doesn't generate the levels properly.
I'm not sure if that always works, maybe you could enlighten myself as well.
As a Mac user, I've noticed working with ganis, I open them up as a text file and as long as I click save the gani usually works. The icon also is still plain white.
However when I use save as the file looks like a text file, and I don't believe it works.. I know it doesn't on Graal Shop any longer, but I haven't tried it online. It basically takes it out of gani state even when I change it to .gani and I'm unsure why. May have to test it all again..

Anyway, from what I believe I know now, on Macs at least, sometimes changing the extension doesn't seem to work...

I'd strike through the part Mac seeing as I used an older windows computer.. but there is no strikeout button on here.. D: Point is, sometimes it changing the extension doesn't seem to work.. >.> or just those few times for me..
I have a lot of problems randomly with gani files. Anyway I don't know if this helps point out the problem he may be having.. could only be a problems with ganis for all I know..

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
team canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
I'm not sure if that always works, maybe you could enlighten myself as well.
It's an issue with the Terrain Generator. If you don't specify the .gmap extension in the filename when saving it doesn't generate the levels. As seen in my images...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad.png
Views:	151
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	52715   Click image for larger version

Name:	badresult.png
Views:	162
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	52716  
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Not the fruit.
nagorias_final.zip

There ya go.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 PM
team canada
Alright I've looked through your zip file, and for whatever reason if you have an underscore (_) it doesn't load properly in the GraalEditor.

You also had... loadmap nagorias_final.gmap; instead of loadmap nagorias_final;

I would recommend re-generating the map as nagorias.gmap instead.