Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2006, 05:20 AM
wat
Alex-Stravier is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alex-Stravier
The A-Z Emoticons

NOTICE:

If you don't want to read this entire post, here's the point: Disable changing of default emoticons by other servers because it is extremely annoying.

So recently I was walking around Delteria and my friend did a ctrl+y emoticon for the apple. So I decided to do one back, and what happened? An emote that said "WTF PWNT?" popped up.

I've had this problem before. The ctrl+n emoticon ("Cool") had been replaced with one that said "Newbie".

My point? It's annoying that servers such as UN decide to replace the default emoticons with ones that they make. A person who connected to the server one time would be stuck with it unless they knew how to fix it (which requires fixing it in the filenamecache as well as deleting the graphic from graal4/levels/emoticons).

Being able to replace the default emoticons at all should be disabled. It's incredibly annoying and it is MOST DEFINITELY NOT difficult to script an emoticon system for extra emoticons. N-Pulse allows use of the ctrl+1-9 (or something) keys, and Delteria has an NPC (that you earn) in which you can say certain words and they will show up.

I really don't think players should have to manually edit these things to get defaults back just because a server decided to replace a default emoticon.

I realize that emoticons deal mostly with the name of the image. This is why it is annoying. The normal ctrl+y emote is "emoticon_Yummy" (the Y standing for the key you tap to use it), but when a server names an emoticon something like "emoticon_y-wtfpwnt" and changes it in a player's filenamecache, they can't change it back without editing a ton of things.

Point: Disable a server's ability to change the default emoticons. If they want more emoticons, they should script their own systems for it.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:31 AM
dot dot dot
Blitz_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blitz_Hunter
I agree, it is very annoying.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
Ah. It is not allowed.

I will contact the worlds doing this, thanks for the report.