Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
haunter is on a distinguished road
More functions for sounds

Is this possible? Built in EQ (including Hi-pass and Lo-Pass), and Reverb filters accessible through Gscript? Some help from the scripters, and audiophiles in refining this idea would be appreciated.

NPC Code:
setsoundverb (a,b,c,d,e);

1. Index (like with a setimg, can SFX have an Index?)
  2. Room type (Cathedral, Hall, etc, etc. Whatever algorithms you can get a hold of. Set with 1,2,3 etc)
  3. Room size (1,2,3, Large, Medium, Small)
  4. Decay (In seconds)
  5. Pre-Delay (in milliseconds)

NPC Code:
setsoundeq (a,b,c,d,e);

1. Index
  2. 80Hz (Gain Change in Db (-20 to 20?))
  3. 1.2kHz
  4. 4.8kHz
  5. 12kHz

NPC Code:
setsoundhipass (a,b,c);

1. Index
  2. Q (measured in Db/Octaves. It dictates the 'steepness' of the filter)
  3. Frequency (in Hz)

NPC Code:
setsoundlopass (a,b,c);

1. Index
  2. Q (measured in Db/Octaves. It dictates the 'steepness' of the filter)
  3. Frequency (in Hz)

NPC Code:
setsoundpitch (a,b);

1. Index
  2. Ratio (b/1)

I think allowing that the dynamic altering of sound effects will be beneficial for making Graal worlds more submersive. Allowing to alter sounds on the fly for certain situations. For example, if you're in a cave, or large church, you could set all of the sound effects to have a specific reverb. If you're underwater, you could use the Hi/Lo-Pass filters to emulate that. You could even use reverbs and EQs to alter the sounds when a player's character's health is dramatically low, or if they start losing their sanity, that sort of thing.

So this was just a quick idea. I think it needs quite a bit of work to become practical. I doubt my commands would be as useful as they could be if implemented as they are.

Have at it.

Last edited by haunter; 03-26-2007 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Added a new filter idea
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Maniaman is on a distinguished road
This is quite possibly one of the best suggestions I have seen in a long time.

Current Maloria Event: (click to go to it)
Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I've always wanted some more simpler stuff like adjusting tempo and easily changing the volume.
Graal always seemed to lack in the sound department in scripting, perhaps because sfx seems to be one of those things no server really 'needs'.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
I would love if these functions were implented
Old 03-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Webmaster
godofwarares is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to godofwarares Send a message via AIM to godofwarares Send a message via MSN to godofwarares Send a message via Yahoo to godofwarares
Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter View Post
NPC Code:
setsoundeq (a,b,c,d,e);

1. Index
  2. 80Hz (Gain Change in Db (-20 to 20?))
  3. 1.2kHz
  4. 4.8kHz
  5. 12kHz
I'd want the equalizer to be more definitive, such as:

PHP Code:
setSoundEq(abcdefghijk); 
  • a = Index
  • b = 31 Hz
  • c = 62 Hz
  • d = 125 Hz
  • e = 250 Hz
  • f = 500 Hz
  • g = 1 KHz
  • h = 2 KHz
  • i = 4 KHz
  • j = 8 KHz
  • k = 16 KHz

That would make better sound, Maybe a little more definitive than that, but I think that would be perfect.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofwarares View Post
I'd want the equalizer to be more definitive, such as:

PHP Code:
setSoundEq(abcdefghijk); 
  • a = Index
  • b = 31 Hz
  • c = 62 Hz
  • d = 125 Hz
  • e = 250 Hz
  • f = 500 Hz
  • g = 1 KHz
  • h = 2 KHz
  • i = 4 KHz
  • j = 8 KHz
  • k = 16 KHz

That would make better sound, Maybe a little more definitive than that, but I think that would be perfect.
I was worried that having too many frequencies would cause problems. Also, while it would be nice to have finer control over the EQ the question is: Is 10 bands really required to do what you would do with this function?

I guess it's just a balance of use over processing. Maybe having 10 bands wouldn't make a noticable difference compared to 4.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Wtf is this Cool Edit Pro?

x-x
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
Wtf is this Cool Edit Pro?

x-x
No. But it's not Photoshop either. Yet some how I can change the hue of my images, or I can resize them and crop them!!!! Wow!

I said I wanted to be able to change sounds dynamically. I don't want to have to create a new version of a sound for every situation. The same applies to graphics, as mentioned above.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No. But it's not Photoshop either. Yet some how I can change the hue of my images, or I can resize them and crop them!!!! Wow!

I said I wanted to be able to change sounds dynamically. I don't want to have to create a new version of a sound for every situation. The same applies to graphics, as mentioned above.

People actually use images, though.

I bet a large portion of the active Graal players don't even use sound, one of which includes myself mostly because I find Graal sounds to be annoying.

I mean if Stefan is up for it then kuddos to him, but I don't know if it's really worth investing time on. People can currently do all of that with outside programs, though its not as convenient, but the point stays that people don't do it regardless.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
I bet a large portion of the active Graal players don't even use sound,
That's a sad fact. One that should change. We've seen some progress with the addition of the sound section on the forums. Perhaps these functions would have a positive effect as well.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Even if people were interested in helping Graal in the sound department, no one would because of the lack of software support. Who would want to sit and make 10 different sound effects for the same thing but with minor changes if it could be done dynamically? Graal didn't always have good looking submitted graphics(might not even now..., but back then it was terrible... I have nearly all the graphics from graal14), but that didn't stop Stefan from adding more graphical support.

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 03-27-2007 at 03:56 AM..
Old 03-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
's a fair point, I remember well the Graal Instruments. A different audio file for every note...

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
's a fair point, I remember well the Graal Instruments. A different audio file for every note...
That's another thing that may be nice. Something like 'setimgpart' only for sounds would be nice as well. Hmmm

NPC Code:
setsoundpart (a,b,c);

1. Index
  2. Start time (in milliseconds)
  3. Stop Time

To help organize the sound effects more? Maybe with sounds it would be more efficient to just have seperate files in this case. I dunno. I'm not a programmer.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
I was worried that having too many frequencies would cause problems. Also, while it would be nice to have finer control over the EQ the question is: Is 10 bands really required to do what you would do with this function?

I guess it's just a balance of use over processing. Maybe having 10 bands wouldn't make a noticable difference compared to 4.
I've really got to ask, what's the point in an EQ? Sure, there could be effects added such as reverbs and delays perhaps, but I don't see the good in an EQ. Many people have their own EQ set in their sound cards or amplifiers or whatever anyway.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
I've really got to ask, what's the point in an EQ? Sure, there could be effects added such as reverbs and delays perhaps, but I don't see the good in an EQ. Many people have their own EQ set in their sound cards or amplifiers or whatever anyway.
Different situations cut out different frequency ranges, such as being underwater. When you start to faint you may start to lose sensitivity of certain frequency ranges first. Maybe the Hi and Lo-Pass filters would be all that is needed for these things though. Hmm.

No. I guess if we wanted to cut out the mids, and keep the highs and lows we would need a normal EQ.

Would it be more effective to just have commands that filter all of the sounds coming out of the player's speakers rather than doing them each individually? Or a mix of both?