Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2002, 01:02 AM
Banned
Sir_Gareth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sir_Gareth
Level Editing Help and Hints.

Things that people have to do is use different tiles, and create their own Style and not going along with the crowd.
Ways to do this isto use tiles that are rarely used in thelevsl, and either combinding them or using it for deatail.

Tiles that are underused:

Predefined House Tile: It can be used in pockets or as the whole floor, as you saw in Shadowless Warrriors screenshot he had the tiles in pockets squared off with the brown tile in the Pre defined Kitchen floor. It can be used for many things and just to add color.

Yellow,Red Trees: Usually people use the green trees, but the red and yellow trees can be used to add contrast to the level instead of having everything green like the bushes, Rooshie and so on.

The Cup Banner Its just a small tile, but its a great addition to a house if you dont want to add a window and add somethign to your walls just add this!

The Garden Decorations (Tear Shudders,Garden Pillars):
I have seen the Garden pillars used but still not used enough, they are a great garden decoration OR they can be used as pillars on a house. The tear shudders are never used, you can use them as a fence or just to section off something, and yes they can be used on a house too!

Gold and Purple Tiles :They are the tiles at the very bottom with the gold pillars, the reason that people rarely use them is because you cant really put them together. You can in some ways and use them in a Cathedral or a place to put a statue,

Bridge Tiles: The inside of the bridge tiles (the ones you walk on) you can use those to make very cool floors, you can mix and match because both of the colors match white and purple.

Deep Water Big Rock: There is a rock right near the roo***p of the blue house, it can be placed in deep water instead of using the roc for both water and deep water it ads that un-repetative feeling.

Under The Pot: The tiles that you get from when you life up a pot can be used to make paths or used to make a floor. Using the second darker color of it is a good idea to mix both in so it doesnt look repetative (I know it looks sketchy in the picture but it does look good)

Brown Carpet : The brown carpet is a good way to add somethign to your floor, I find it to be one of the most versitile rugs, It has a tile located rigth atthe bottom almost unbder the snow tiles, where you can make the rug turn just like dirt tiles.

This is it for now, I will post the rest of the tiles in a bit, if you have anything to add go ahead!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal.png
Views:	1977
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	20069  
Old 08-28-2002, 04:12 AM
Banned
Graal2001_LAT is on a distinguished road
Re: Level Editing Help and Hints.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Gareth

Gold and Purple Tiles :They are the tiles at the very bottom with the gold pillars, the reason that people rarely use them is because you cant really put them together. You can in some ways and use them in a Cathedral or a place to put a statue,
Hey I've come a bit closer than you! I've done the whole entrance but who knows what it correctly connects to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1stepcloser.png
Views:	1459
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	20070  
Old 08-28-2002, 05:04 AM
haunter is on a distinguished road
I like the look of those purple tiles, I'll have to use them more often :O
Old 08-28-2002, 05:10 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by haunter
I like the look of those purple tiles, I'll have to use them more often :O
Me too, if they're done right. ^.^
Old 08-29-2002, 01:29 AM
:]
Thak2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Thak2
Re: Level Editing Help and Hints.

Quote:
Under The Pot: The tiles that you get from when you life up a pot can be used to make paths or used to make a floor. Using the second darker color of it is a good idea to mix both in so it doesnt look repetative (I know it looks sketchy in the picture but it does look good)

Brown Carpet : The brown carpet is a good way to add somethign to your floor, I find it to be one of the most versitile rugs, It has a tile located rigth atthe bottom almost unbder the snow tiles, where you can make the rug turn just like dirt tiles.
I like both those tile groups, and use them.

Those two can be used to add detail to cave levels too, instead of just having the darkgrey 'mine floor'.

Nice suggestions Dark Warlock, I like it.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:01 AM
Re: Re: Level Editing Help and Hints.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thak2

I like both those tile groups, and use them.

Those two can be used to add detail to cave levels too, instead of just having the darkgrey 'mine floor'.

Nice suggestions Dark Warlock, I like it.
Personally for mines, I use the dirt that goes with the snow tiles (dark brown) and use that, it works very well. But i had to recolor the bottems of the mine walls. Then again, you can't really tell the difference where there is a strong light effect.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:55 AM
Banned
Part II:

The Water Bridge: This bridge can be used ontop of water instead of having a big bulky bridge, I find it really neat and you can use it in a forest so it looks more un in habited.

Bush Turner: There is a tile (Preview of the tile located in the left hand corner of its box) where it can be used to turn the big bush tiles, It can be used to make roofs (like shown) or a big bush :P

The dreaded Alien Tiles: No one knows why they added it or what its even used for but hey it can be used for things! Um a floor? Maybe a dance floor, but I like to use the floor and tubes in an enterence or exit, Maybe in a play house, but I can see why they are rarely used!

"Govenment Tiles": The Government tiles are the newly added white tiles, They are amazing to use in building buildings or constructing rooms.

And Last But Not Least (This is really all I could think of for now
(This is for Shadowless Warrior)

Julels: These things can be used to make small hills and make curvatious creations in forest or around wooded areas, they are neat to look at and ver easy to use!

I hopefully wouldlike to post on how to incorperate different tiles together to make buildings walls or things that are not predefined and unique, if anyone wants to help me (I hope to make this thread into a thread where everyone posts there level knowlege and it becomes like a databse) just message me or post!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tiles.png
Views:	1219
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	20118  
Old 08-29-2002, 09:08 AM
Ahahahahah I still live.
evilive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to evilive
MIX AND MATCH! - A nice addition to any level is the creative use of tiling. You know, something you wouldn't normally see. Say, a table not made from the table already given to you, or say maybe some architectual design of somesort using various elements... I tried it on some tree sections to come up with odds and ends... the tables are the ones made from the roofs of the houses...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tilework.png
Views:	1154
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	20120  
AIM: MyLonelyLog
E-Mail: [email protected]
Current Project: "I haven't been here since 2003. Yeah."
Old 08-29-2002, 09:38 AM
:]
Thak2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Thak2
Stuff like this are nice to make with Jules.

Oh, and I don't think anyone should ever use those awful alien tiles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nicejule.png
Views:	1139
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	20122  
Old 08-29-2002, 09:47 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by evilive
MIX AND MATCH! - A nice addition to any level is the creative use of tiling. You know, something you wouldn't normally see. Say, a table not made from the table already given to you, or say maybe some architectual design of somesort using various elements... I tried it on some tree sections to come up with odds and ends... the tables are the ones made from the roofs of the houses...
That looks ok, it can be improved :P
Old 08-29-2002, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Thak2

You don't like that? I thought it looked good. :[
H8 4 JULES!...

-----------------

Lookie here, with a few simple recolors you can make a nice fill-in for a castle top!

Last edited by haunter; 07-12-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Old 08-29-2002, 09:53 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by haunter

I LOVE JULES! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

-----------------

Lookie here, with a few simple recolors you can make a nice fill-in for a castle top!
ooooooooo thats pretty,
basicly any recolor tiles you can fit in to things like so or lava, it would be really good if Stefan added a new feature to the tileset to possibly change the color hue of some tiles.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:21 AM
Banned
Quote:
Part II:
Julels: These things can be used to make small hills and make curvatious creations in forest or around wooded areas, they are neat to look at and ver easy to use!
Bad tile errors on those Jules. And most of that stuff has been done, like, nothing we havn't seen before.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Banned
Quote:
Part II:
Bush Turner: There is a tile (Preview of the tile located in the left hand corner of its box) where it can be used to turn the big bush tiles, It can be used to make roofs (like shown) or a big bush :P
Here is an Elven Fortress I did and it uses lots of those tiles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1forestemple.png
Views:	1230
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	20127  
Old 08-30-2002, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Graal2001_LAT

Here is an Elven Fortress I did and it uses lots of those tiles.
You use that cross graphic an awful lot, stop trying to put pro-christ images into our heads