Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Burning6Church6 View Post
While working on Delteria I would have killed for help from some of the Global Developers, however the only time I ever saw them was on Kingdoms, and they never responded to any of my pleas for help. I'm assuming N-Pulse, now in the same place Delteria was years ago, trying to maintain one server and develop another with very limited staff, feels the same kind of neglect I did when I was attempting to run the show with Delt.
I feel sorry if such thing happened, but it certainly didn't happen while I was in charge as I have no pm history with your account at all. Do you remember anything about the GDT member you've made your request at?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Chance Mercy
6Burning6Church6 is on a distinguished road
Though I do understand many servers aren't asking for your help, you must understand that you guys have a reputation for ignoring such requests. Many of the developers who have been working on their own projects for years don't want to even bother asking for help because the way they've been treated in the passed is just insulting. If you are truly trying to rebuild your reputation as an actual team of global staff members willing to help you should take the time to contact managers of many servers and let them know the team is now reformed and willing to help with reasonable requests given that they give you enough time to work through your check list until you have time to address their issue.

I'm glad to hear you are helping UN finally convert to gs2, this is something that's been needed for quite some time and it's ridiculous that it took you guys completely reforming the way your team works to get to it, though I can't blame anybody for this other than Stefan for never setting a guideline to what the GDT is supposed to be doing.

As for waiting for the PWA to tell you they want you to help with making sure classic servers are up to par... well... you guys both work for the same company and have easy access to contact each other, I think now is a good a time as any for both teams to have a long discussion on what should be done with servers like Valk and N-Pulse who remain on the classic tab but need serious work done to their servers. Of coarse the management can refuse help and not give you RC access, but I think that would be a shining opportunity for the PWA's to give said server a deadline to bring their server up to standards before it is replaced with another server that was willing to accept your aid.

Honestly there's no reason why the PWA's and GDT's aren't working together in such a way already. The PWA's should be constantly checking servers under development and servers on the Classic tab and reporting to you guys which servers could benefit most from your help and in turn you should be talking to the managers of these servers and offering your assistance to help them complete in a timely manner.

I'm not for or against anything that you guys decide to do, as I said (maybe not in this thread, I've posted quite a bit today) if you guys don't help out any servers at all it wouldn't be much different than it has been for years. There's no way the development community could be any worse off, there are only positive steps you guys can make which gives you plenty of breathing room to decide where you are going to go if you truly decide to take this job seriously as many before you have not.

Good luck.

- American Pride
"We will stop terrorist TOGETHER." - President Bush
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefan
Oh that can happen because of stupid coding,
people doing stuff like

if (playertouchsme)
toweapons I am a dumb scripter
}

forgetting the ;
"Never argue with a idiot, or they'll be you by experience."
- So that means don't argue with me.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 AM
Chance Mercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
I feel sorry if such thing happened, but it certainly didn't happen while I was in charge as I have no pm history with your account at all. Do you remember anything about the GDT member you've made your request at?
I don't recognize your name one bit so I can tell you no, it did not happen while you were in charge, or at least I never encountered you during the time frame. It was quite a while ago (at least 3 years, if not more) so I can't really recall who was on the GDT during this time. I can tell you it was quite a while before Tig had joined up, I don't know Tig too well but I do know that he isn't the type of person who would treat me the way I was treated by the GDT back then. Like I said though, a lot of people have bad tastes in their mouths from previous experiences with the team being extremely rude and lazy and it would be a good idea to try and re-up your rep by going to current server managers and reintroducing the team as a new and capable group.

- American Pride
Quote:
people doing stuff like

if (playertouchsme)
}

forgetting the ;
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
I don't want graal 2001, I want graal 2011.
Otherwise, help bomy island.

Quote:
I don't recognize your name one bit so I can tell you no, it did not happen while you were in charge, or at least I never encountered you during the time frame. It was quite a while ago (at least 3 years, if not more) so I can't really recall who was on the GDT during this time. I can tell you it was quite a while before Tig had joined up, I don't know Tig too well but I do know that he isn't the type of person who would treat me the way I was treated by the GDT back then. Like I said though, a lot of people have bad tastes in their mouths from previous experiences with the team being extremely rude and lazy and it would be a good idea to try and re-up your rep by going to current server managers and reintroducing the team as a new and capable group.
Get over yourself, there was no GDT 3 years ago. Only PWA without tig, but including vulcan and houdini.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpoke103 View Post
Would love to do this definitely, but we are approached by another limitation by Observer Mode. We can only do as much as the tools given to us and restrictions that are placed upon us.
Thats why testbed is there. I have one specific person that is usually willing to look at what Im doing, but again many dev servers that are actually trying and have content worth a crap should get help from GDT...

I really would not like to see GDT work on their own server until servers in classic tab are up to par, that is more important.

I would also rather see servers like the dev server I work on, when I have multiple posts begging GDT for help, actually get help (I've forum pmed a few people, and pmed on game a few, but honestly, there needs to kind of be a new list of GDT doesnt there? A more "active" one?). Again I know OB mode, but that doesn't hinder from getting help.

Also, GDT could be much more active in the development sections of these forums as well. Mostly scripting is the only real active one, but still...

All in all, there are too many servers, classic, hosted, and dev, that could use help from GDT. It would be more of a slap in the face, at least to me as an Admin on a dev server, to have GDT start a new server and mine go down the toilet hole, since (and the big one)...

...starting a new server would require gold, no?

Edit: Also slightly off-topic but still kind of on, GDT should help classic servers, especially with things like GS1 still there. If servers dont start to comply to the change (after how long has it been now?), then maybe pwa's should request the GDT to do it, since they can overrule the server manager I'd imagine on issues like this. Its just a small example using gs1 to show more things on what GDT shouldn't be missing out on.
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...

Last edited by sssssssssss; 07-30-2010 at 04:30 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Chance Mercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Get over yourself, there was no GDT 3 years ago. Only PWA without tig, but including vulcan and houdini.
That's interesting, being that in '05 or maybe even '04 it was members of the Global Scripting Team (different name, same goal as a global staff branch) who, along with several PWA's, had logged onto Delteria's RC to help out when Zega/Smooth had deleted the entire server and banned the entire staff list. Maybe my problems were with the GST and not the GDT but in my eyes its the same branch of staff with a different name.

- American Pride
Quote:
people doing stuff like

if (playertouchsme)
}

forgetting the ;
Old 07-30-2010, 05:12 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
That's interesting, being that in '05 or maybe even '04 it was members of the Global Scripting Team (different name, same goal as a global staff branch) who, along with several PWA's, had logged onto Delteria's RC to help out when Zega/Smooth had deleted the entire server and banned the entire staff list. Maybe my problems were with the GST and not the GDT but in my eyes its the same branch of staff with a different name.
it's completely different people, and they deal with all forms of development, not just scripting. after ajira quit, it was basically only skyld working that team until it was assimilated into a more general global staff

the GDT haven't quite yet figured out their goals, besides them being for the benefit of graal

by the way, your signature i think means to say "beat you with experience" not "be you with experience" (at least i think?)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
I'll be nice if you guys provided advanced support to servers that are near to become successful. Like AEON? that server has been there for a while, I'm pretty sure if the GDT focused on helping them it will be opened.

Same goes for Delteria. the GDT could help a lot to finish stuff there.

Also Ruins and Xazier. They have a couple of players going on them. Xazier is full with NEW players / developers that might use the hand of some experienced people.

Well, these are the servers I've the most hope on. Wish you could help any of them(:
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Lots of people speaking for other servers itt.

Yeah let's all go log on X and try to help them! Then you realize the server has **** all for planning and can't effectively utilize the additional resources (or don't actually need 3+ Scripters).

There's a reason a lot of UC servers fail, with or without the help of the GDT. They don't have **** all of an actual plan for their server.

The lack of communication from both parties are to blame for servers not receiving help. It doesn't seem logical to me that we should be putting in the extra work to help servers that don't request it or make a poor effort at doing so. A lot of us have plenty of other projects we could be working on instead of babysitting UC servers.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Yeah, sounds familiar. Probably me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Otherwise, help bomy island.
This. Why cant the GDT just make a whole new world combining elements of classic/2001 but not a remake of classic/2001 otherwise its just a week of nostalgia and people get bored too quickly.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Reality: We have no power to just go help the other already up servers. We have to be allowed by choice of the managers, and on their standards, not ours or some imaginary set of compliance that makes it "up to snuff". We don't have any real power.

We will be working on Bomy Island but it isn't all we have in the works, and I think Ben was just a little too giddy when he said it would be where all of our focus is. Ben and I have been active in taking over GDT, but there is a lot of behinds the scenes, plans, and structure that needs to be fixed first before anything is even visible.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Why don't you guys make Graal 2010 and not Graal 2001?--Building something new and great instead of rehashing something old and great.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
The GDT comes across to me a scripting team with very little to offer elsewhere. I'm not sure there is the capacity for creating a whole new world with its own story to tell. Saying that though, I'm not sure they realize how unstructured Graal2001 was as a server, and how much work is going to be needed outside of scripting to continue one of the revival projects that were started.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
The GDT comes across to me a scripting team with very little to offer elsewhere. I'm not sure there is the capacity for creating a whole new world with its own story to tell. Saying that though, I'm not sure they realize how unstructured Graal2001 was as a server, and how much work is going to be needed outside of scripting to continue one of the revival projects that were started.
No project on graal has piqued my interest in terms of a world with a story to tell. To be perfectly honest they all seem like development playgrounds.
(With the exception of Zodiac which I admit I have never tried and know nothing about)
Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_bald6225 View Post
Why don't you guys make Graal 2010 and not Graal 2001?--Building something new and great instead of rehashing something old and great.
I agree with this. I think it would be neat if it was still Graal2001 but some kind of story portrays the city/town being abandoned because of a catastrophe and being rebuilt in 2010 with all new buildings and some old structures being in tact. Also, easter eggs for oldbies (statues of old staff/players, items, fossilized bomies, etc) see islands shifted, old areas moved to new locations, and even exploring the ruins of "2001" to find artifacts for quests.

We've seen Graal2001 a million times but I think it would be more constructive to just bury the hatchet on it and come up with a sequel that glorifies the old while creating a fun new server that oldbies and newbies alike can enjoy.

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Last edited by James; 07-30-2010 at 10:29 PM..