Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
UDP settings for graal

i'm posting this both as a way to make sure i've done this correctly, and as a way to make sure others can do this correctly as well. people have trouble setting up their routers and settings so that graal is port forwarded and can run off the proper UDP protocol, so hopefully we can clear up some of the misinformation floating about, so everyone can stop lagging so much just because of a bottlenecked connection

in the F3 options for graal under the general tab, we see two settings:

use fixed port for UDP: by default 14899
don't use UDP for data packages: unchecked by default

when people can't see other players move, graal tells the player that they should check the "don't use UDP for data packages" option, because that will fix the problem. unfortunately, it also creates delay all around for everyone involved with that player, because it doesn't actually fix the problem, it just changes over to (what i assume is) TCP protocol

so the best option is to port forward 14899 in the router settings, and instead check the "use fixed port for UDP" once it's setup. using (portforward dot com), you can find whatever router you have, set up the virtual server for 14899 (or some other port), and then come back on graal. ever since i have done this (and have done so for other routers on other computers) i have never had a problem with me, personally, having delay or lagging (note that i also unchecked "use a minimum of video resources" and i have lights turned off)

this is the best option, correct? it's better than not using UDP packages, and it only takes a few minutes after fumbling about with the options and following the guides if you are not computer savvy. combine this with a static IP address, and no one should have to lag on graal unless they have a ****ty connection