Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Some bugs in the custom work.

While you have a bomb equipped on Facebook you can hold down your D key when walking upwards and this results in:

When you throw a bomb it resets how close to explosion it is. If you throw bombs on an iDevice there is a delay between a bomb being thrown and it appearing. If you throw bombs on Facebook this is the effect:

There is no "blink" on horses anymore, so you can pretty much kill someone instantly if you spam your sword at them:

Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
That is the pricehe should pay for riding a yellow horse
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Asst. Manager of GA
InfamousPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to InfamousPride
Can't wait for Android version as I have a Kindle Fire and think that Graal would be gorgeous through it
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad View Post
We are planning to give the opportunity to PlayerWorld owners to move to Free To Play either. We will soon give a list of requirements to move a server Free To Play.
So how about that?
Is this something which is also being delayed, inwhich case I understand that plans and dates change, or is it just a load of bollocks?

I'm actually quite interested to see what those requirements were supposed to be, seeing as I've spent all this time and effort writing up micro-transaction & incentive plans and preparing them, for what is arguably one of if not the highest quality production-ready servers. Yet the response I've received almost completely failed to acknowledge the plans I have presented. Following myself responding to the supposed issue of credentials in a manner which should have put that to bed, has been nothing but silence, having already waited 4 months for the first reply to begin with.

I could talk all day about why I feel Classic should, at the very least, have its plans for an agreement in principle to eventually remove observer mode, be given an honest consideration, but I feel it would hit the right chords if I instead let some quotes from last year be known:

Quote:
*Stefan: i've seen the new videos
*Stefan: could it be possible in some way to bring those cool quests to classic on iphone/facebook?
*Stefan: unixmad said it could be interesting to add it as server where people can connect to
*Stefan: separate server for quests basicly
*Stefan: we could give quite a lot of control about the server to you
*Stefan: the idea which we have is to introduce this as extension to classic iphone
*Stefan: its running fine, people have fun, we make good money
*Stefan: but people want something to do
*Stefan: and we want to add more cool stuff so that players speak nicely of the game
*Stefan: so we would like to make a classic extension
*Stefan: the quest videos which you have made are cool, so it would be interesting to have such quests there
*Stefan: can even mean to get money or a part time job if there is interest
*Stefan: and the third solution would be have the full server available
*Stefan: it will be good to think about how we could work together
*Stefan: but at the end we are here to make players happy
It's funny how there was such an interest in our work when the idea was for the benefit of a different platform, yet our plans for this work in its natural designed state for PC Graal are essentially ignored. I would like to re-iterate that I am not demanding they be accepted, if there is a problem with them or they are unsatisfactory I'll be back to the drawing board and putting in the extra work to make it more credible. I am simply asking for a proper response.

As for the actual problem at hand, I would like to bring attention to something listed within the subscription policy at http://www.graalonline.com/zone/stores/subterms:

Quote:
How are subscriptions related to the Trial Mode?

The free trial mode of the GraalOnline account you access to a limited number of worlds and restricts some of the player's powers. There are two purposes for the trial version:
To make sure you can successfully install and enter the game.
To make sure you enjoy the game before you purchase a subscription.
To put it simply, Observer mode is a restriction that ****s players, why?
Because it causes disruption to competitive gameplay, the form which gameplay on Graal mostly consists of. Look at Unholy Nation, it's a server which revolves strongly around events and sparring. Because of the disruption observer mode causes to spars and events, as well as the fact it renders players stuck on the screens of other players with no way to manipulate the observer through script, UN prevent trials from participating.

This is a problem which contributed to other traditional style servers such as Classic and Npulse dying out, which you could say has made the game less worth paying for. Now with the new version of Classic, it has also become more apparent to me that observer mode can cause bugs which can prevent Quest progress, or even render the game unplayable without staff intervention if a trial is in an unfortunate place at an unfortunate time, and I haven't become aware of it in order to implement a solution.

What's even more annoying is that it is virtually impossible for a developer to take the necessary measures to debug potential problems caused by observer mode.
To test this requires logging on a trial account, waiting a couple minutes for observer mode to end, getting into the relevant position within a level, waiting 10-15 minutes or so for observer mode to occur again, waiting another couple minutes for it to end, actually experiencing the bug, and then repeating the process once more and wasting even more time to ensure you've managed to fix it.

Considering trials are given 5 measly hours of "free time" a month, that this applies on every server they log on, most of which take several hours to explore and actually become familiar with, and this time is even deducted when playing a non observer mode server, how the hell are trials supposed to enjoy the game before deciding to buy a subscription?

Even on those servers fortunate enough to not be plagued by observer mode things aren't all that rosey. Trials have heavy restrictions placed on them, to such an extent that they are at a big disadvantage to paying players, with this idea it will provide an incentive for them to upgrade. Similarly to observer mode this means players are having to pay before they can enjoy the game.

Once again Graal is a game which relies heavily on player vs player competition, half of what makes the game what it is can be attributed to the playercount itself. While there are several different reasons for iPhone's success, the main thing which stands out which PC players/developers would hope Stefan and Unixmad have learned from and can apply to PC Graal, is the fact that it actually lets players play the game.

Amazingly we're still stuck with this myopic attitude that it is wrong for any player to be playing this game the way it is meant to be played, without paying. It is not rocket science that if the game can be played at a reasonable level for free, playercount would be much higher, and if playercount is much higher, the game is more fun, and if the game is more fun, it makes it more worth paying for whatever incentives are provided.
Is it better to have 250 paying players and 100 non paying players, or 500 paying players and 1000 non paying players?

To finish this off, I truly hate to make such a **** post, I know there are lots of other developers and players alike with their own concerns for their respective servers, and so I apologise if this post comes across as selfish.
To Stefan and Unixmad, if you have taken the time to read this far, credit where it's due.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Loveletter to unixmad & Stefan
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ffcmike again.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Classic Developer.
TheGodAngelo is just really niceTheGodAngelo is just really nice
Thumbs up

Quote:
Giving the old what for.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ffcmike again.

Last edited by TheGodAngelo; 06-06-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
couldn't have said it any better Thor
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Bayne_graal is on a distinguished road
Classic pc is still better cause it has meaning.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Former PW Admin
Matman58 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Matman58 Send a message via AIM to Matman58 Send a message via Yahoo to Matman58
Nicely stated Thor. You speak the truth about this topic.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 PM
0_0 he went there.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 PM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Even on those servers fortunate enough to not be plagued by observer mode things aren't all that rosey. Trials have heavy restrictions placed on them, to such an extent that they are at a big disadvantage to paying players, with this idea it will provide an incentive for them to upgrade. Similarly to observer mode this means players are having to pay before they can enjoy the game.
Quoting what you've said, I agree trials are placed upon heavy restrictions, however you've also left out that due to these restrictions most players quit. Due to most people quitting and Graal not having many players, servers don't feel an introduction or tutorial to the game is needed, therefor trails usually don't learn to play, and also, quit.

I had a friend who didn't know how to use F7 or Tab for 2 months trying Graal off and on... Some people will walk up to you and start slashing until you say "Press Tab to talk". Most servers don't even explain how to make money on them, after years of being off the servers I don't even know how to make money on UN or Era... I assume Zodiac you kill things.

Maybe once Observermode is gone, servers that are up as well as players will think more of the newer players and possibly teach them, or even go a step further and make a tutorial for them. (Preferably one that is re-playable)

Also,
Quote:
*Stefan: its running fine, people have fun, we make good money
This is good to know that it is no longer a reason to not rid of the intolerable OB mode.

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-10-2012, 12:04 AM
You fish an cut tree's i can't wait to see how popular classic pc becomes.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
Quoting what you've said, I agree trials are placed upon heavy restrictions, however you've also left out that due to these restrictions most players quit. Due to most people quitting and Graal not having many players, servers don't feel an introduction or tutorial to the game is needed, therefor trails usually don't learn to play, and also, quit.
I'm not sure that there's such a deliberation behind the lack of tutorials/introductions on Graal. But there would certainly be a higher drive to create a more newbie friendly game if it wasn't for the fact that newbies are punished with observer mode, punished by players who have payed to be at an advantage over them, and then thrust with such a high cost for a subscription. If you know that you're powerless to prevent the vast majority of first time players from quitting, that does raise the question of 'why bother?'.

Quote:
Maybe once Observermode is gone, servers that are up as well as players will think more of the newer players and possibly teach them, or even go a step further and make a tutorial for them. (Preferably one that is re-playable)
If observer mode was removed, trials would not have the problem of having "free time" deducted regardless of what server they're logged on. This would allow them to try out all of the main servers, increasing the chance they'd find at least one in which they can become accustomed to.

Lets say you have a first time player who likes role playing, they might spend 2 hours trying Zodiac, and then 2 hours trying Era, and one hour trying UN. By the time they visit Valikorlia (role playing server), they're punished with observer mode, and therefore quit.

Quote:
This is good to know that it is no longer a reason to not rid of the intolerable OB mode.
This does raise the question, why is PC Graal still being neglected?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 AM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Things like this aren't much of an incentive to pay either.
Well, incentive, yes, until they realize it is false advertising.

You must pay / have gold to get a guild, yet guilds don't go up.
I tried to create a guild a while ago, and it was deleted without
even going on the pending list.

Noob Inc. R.I.P. before started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 7.00.02 PM.png
Views:	502
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	54825  

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Banned
Quote:
Things like this aren't much of an incentive to pay either.
Well, incentive, yes, until they realize it is false advertising.

You must pay / have gold to get a guild, yet guilds don't go up.
I tried to create a guild a while ago, and it was deleted without
even going on the pending list.

Noob Inc. R.I.P. before started.
Reminds me that I've heard a lot of new players complain that the guild they've tried to create doesn't work. Then again, with the fact that lifetime Classic subscription is no longer purchasable, you could create a guild, and then no longer be able to wear the tag once your gold expires anyway, which is laughably bad.