Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Enigma
Andy0687 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Perhaps a way to host an NPC server on your own computer?
It's been similarly done with the RC before, so I'm sure it might be possible with NC. With a self-hosted NC and a new editor that connects to it, it might help a lot.
If stefan released an npcserver you could host on your pc, i dont know much about this type of thing, but im gonna assume there would be a chance it could be cracked and reverse engineered and eventually youll have tons of illegal mini-graals on the internet.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Same chance for any executable, if you fear that then oh well. May as well stop releasing Graal.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
What if you want to practice and learn but really don't have very much experience in the first place?
Well if good scripters want to further the development of the scripting community they better damn well help out the people. But I think a requirement would be the ability to think in an object-based way.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Perhaps a way to host an NPC server on your own computer?
It's been similarly done with the RC before, so I'm sure it might be possible with NC. With a self-hosted NC and a new editor that connects to it, it might help a lot.
It'd be nice, but since that ain't happening (given the fate of every previous release of NPCServ) methinks This is a fair compromise - the power to test in a nearly-offline environment.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Incubator
I've gotten permission to use Symphonia Dev for this purpose, whoever would like to participate in setting this up please contact sometime or post ideas and the like.

My Plan:
Was thinking at the moment, people can apply for the RC by some means and must show that they're capable and want to learn to script or they know how to script and just want a place to test their stuff.

Each person would get their own folder which will be enabled for levels and files and in the npcserver so you can load files by script from it. Also you'll need to specify a 'dev nickname' you want which will be used for prefixing stuff that belongs to you such as weapons, classes, npcs, and levels.

There will be no time limit to your RC as long as you don't cause any problems. I have several misc utilities hanging around that you can use for your scripts. Theses scripts will be readable by everyone but you cannot write to them. You're also not allowed to read any scripts that belong to others unless the owner wishes it to be public.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
I've gotten permission to use Symphonia Dev for this purpose, whoever would like to participate in setting this up please contact sometime or post ideas and the like.

My Plan:
Was thinking at the moment, people can apply for the RC by some means and must show that they're capable and want to learn to script or they know how to script and just want a place to test their stuff.

Each person would get their own folder which will be enabled for levels and files and in the npcserver so you can load files by script from it. Also you'll need to specify a 'dev nickname' you want which will be used for prefixing stuff that belongs to you such as weapons, classes, npcs, and levels.

There will be no time limit to your RC as long as you don't cause any problems. I have several misc utilities hanging around that you can use for your scripts. Theses scripts will be readable by everyone but you cannot write to them. You're also not allowed to read any scripts that belong to others unless the owner wishes it to be public.
Sounds great
Old 04-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Psionic Youth
's cool. The Ideal would be fully-automated (so nobody has to manually add anyone), but it's nice that someone's taking the initiative.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 04-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Incubator
Can't automate RC adding and I wouldn't want to either
Old 04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Psionic Youth
Stefan could, that's the point. You or I can open an unofficial whiteboard server, but then there's gonna be Brad coming on saying OMGWTF TYHM STOLE MY STUFF AND BANNED ME! and WarCaptain saying INVERNESS WON'T LET ME ON! Then there's the concern DC raised, which is that someone can bring down your entire RC umbrella by being a jerk, or just by screwing up.

So it's good, I just want Stefan's whiteboard too. :-D

Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
I still think the most convenient and safest way is if Stefan somehow releases a program that lets you set up an NC on your own computer, and links it to the offline editor.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:33 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
I still think the most convenient and safest way is if Stefan somehow releases a program that lets you set up an NC on your own computer, and links it to the offline editor.
Maybe, but it won't happen.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:30 AM
RTK| God of Wine
Dionysus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionysus
Ya i totally agree with this, its like the next best thing if graal does it.

And hell ill upgrade my account to VIP today if Stefan will do the Whiteboard Servers.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post
Maybe, but it won't happen.
Neither will anything else that will make developing as open as it used to be.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Neither will anything else that will make developing as open as it used to be.
Wait and see! Would be my comment on this. I can't say anything, but there are ideas in the pipelines. Of course, as to when they will surface I don't know, but they are taking note of some key suggestions that have been made and would help both Graal and Developers.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Incubator
I'm too lazy to set up the server myself, anyone want to do it for me?