Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
level.tilesetrender

Returns an image object of what Graal is currently using to render tiles. For example, by default it would just be a copy of pics1.png. However, the important part is when you're using addtiledef2.

I don't know how Graal implements its usage of addtiledef2, but I imagine that it stores the tileset in a buffer, and addtiledef2 draws over that buffer whenever playerenters() is called. So I imagine this object is already there stored in memory, why can't we access it? For example, when making a level editor, we need to render the tileset as the client sees it, addtiledef2 definitions and all. This would greatly simplify the matter.

As well, it'd be nice if we could access the image of a DrawingPanel as an object. For example:

showimg(200,TDrawingPanel.image,32,32);

This would make scripting a GUI-based level editor way easier as well, since in order to support addtiledef2 you'd have to go the complex route when rendering tile selections(since the image in the tileset that you'd pick tiles from would probably contain many addtiledef2 definitions drawn over the base tileset). This would allow us to draw the addtiledef2 images over the base tileset in a DrawingPanel, and simply render/crop from that image when rendering the level/tile selection.

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 11-14-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough

I hope stefan implements this
Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Why not using a GuiDrawingPanel? It's supporting the drawing of "TILES". The tiles textures are not kept in memory (sometimes they have a size bigger than 1024 pixels which cannot be loaded into graphic memory on some video cards). It can be possible to add functions to get the current tiles image and offset for a specific tile, so that you can display the information in the editor, but for actually displaying it it's better to use GuiDrawingPanel.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Why not using a GuiDrawingPanel? It's supporting the drawing of "TILES". The tiles textures are not kept in memory (sometimes they have a size bigger than 1024 pixels which cannot be loaded into graphic memory on some video cards). It can be possible to add functions to get the current tiles image and offset for a specific tile, so that you can display the information in the editor, but for actually displaying it it's better to use GuiDrawingPanel.
I was wondering how you solved the 1024x1024 texture limit issue on the iPhone, actually, and would like if you could demonstrate how you did that. I solved it by simply arranging my tiles into a 1024x1024 sheet instead of 2048x512, but I was wondering how you allowed support for the typical tile layout that Graal has on the iPhone's older models that only support 1024x1024. Do you draw the tileset with a software renderer or something?