Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
How is this possible? How do you define the actual tile orgins since not all screenshots are aligned? What is the average time it takes to compile a image to level? Say a 640x480 png for example.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOmega View Post
How is this possible? How do you define the actual tile orgins since not all screenshots are aligned? What is the average time it takes to compile a image to level? Say a 640x480 png for example.
It probably isn't the most efficient technique but here is the gist:

Scan the tileset: Scan each pixel and put the RGB in to a string:

So RGB(0,0)+RGB(0,1).....+RGB(16,16). Since each tile is 16x16 pixels.

After the tileset is scanned it saves the information to the computer so you don't have to rescan for each level.

Then it loops through and checks each pixel of each tile in the screenshot(which is aligned and 1024x1024 pixels). If it matches a tile it adds that tile to a "recently used" array of tiles which get priority checking(so you don't have to loop back through the entire set of tiles after it gets cooking).

Each tile is synced up with the tile hex value(like "AE", or "/3". When it finds the tile it plops down the hex value in the level string. Right now it doesn't save files but outputs them as plaintext which you can copy paste in to a graal file and save with a text editor to get your level.

If the tile is unknown it puts a blackness tile so you can easily tell which tiles are missing.

All in all if the tileset is already scanned IIRC(it has been a few weeks since I generated a level from this). It pumps out the plaintext level in like (EDIT) 50 seconds which I have recorded in a video.

(Does this even make sense to anyone else?)

tl;dr:
1. Tileset scanned-->in order of the corresponding tile hex values.
2. Level is scanned tile by tile and plops out the hex value of the tileset tile that it matches.
3. Plaintext level is made and copy pasted in to a .nw with a text editor.

Again, this is probably not the best way to do this-- but it works.

(EDIT)Main problem here is I have it set up to do multiple levels in a row and as there are more tiles added to the priority list it begins to slow down-- I have a video of generating 6 levels in a row in 6:35 seconds.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I've seen this in action, it's impressive!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
I'm truly impressed, brilliant!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Pretty awesome, Zippy.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:27 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
so if the screenshot is a normal screenshot anything blocking the tiles (GUI, char, etc) are colored black while the rest is fine? hmm!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
so if the screenshot is a normal screenshot anything blocking the tiles (GUI, char, etc) are colored black while the rest is fine? hmm!
Aye, you'd have to fill in the blanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
This is also extremely useful when ripping tiles you don't have a tileset for too.

Here is an example of ripping tiles due to this perk:

Step 1: Find a level to rip:

Step 2: Run it through without a defined tileset:

Step 3: Build the level from the output. Yellow tiles are unique tiles that appear for the first time. Any time another one of these tiles shows up it is colored green:

Step 4: Overlay the built level with unknown tiles and rip the unique tiles(which were colored yellow in this example).

From there you jump in to photoshop and put the tiles in their right behavioral spots(block/not) and regenerate until you have no missing tiles. Plus side to this is that there are no duplicates when ripping them out.

Last edited by jacob_bald6225; 03-26-2011 at 06:10 AM..
Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
I miss that level, lol
Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
are you still doing this in flash?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 PM
tempandrew is on a distinguished road
This is truly, really impressive. I'm not sure how much practical use this would have, however, other than possibly reviving old levels from screenshots people might have laying around.

Regardless, this is really something. Well done.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempandrew View Post
This is truly, really impressive. I'm not sure how much practical use this would have, however, other than possibly reviving old levels from screenshots people might have laying around.

Regardless, this is really something. Well done.
Another practical sue was just posted.
This can help you build a tileset from screenshots of levels because it can identify the first time each unique tile is used.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
so hot man so hot
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Doctor Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
are you still doing this in flash?
Ya because I'm a noob anywhere else.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKVILLIN View Post
For most of the Red Squares. Don't use Half Grass...it looks bad
Also for the barrels use a .png with a transparent background. Just using the tileset its fine but don't be afraid to use .pngs in levels. They can fix a lot of tile errors. Also with the path tiles that are used on the inside of a path are used better when framed out. The random water spout...delete it. This isnt zelda The windows. Don't use the half windows...

Besides that there weren't a lot of tile errors. Keep up the work. Hope my input willl help you.
I think you missed the point of the thread.