Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
preventing me from getting online, one of these being a faulty motherboard on the new computer I've built for myself.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I had originally just quoted myself saying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Oh man, always ****ing something.
However Storm is right, there are two managers of the server. He may not be helping the server with his inactivity, and he may not be deserving of his position, but that's a different issue when he's not preventing development or any kind of movement forward. There's someone else with the very same position as him, and even if he was removed, why would there be a change if there hasn't been one already? I don't support Storm being in the position he is in, but he's still being used as a scapegoat and excuse for no development and it's not just him at fault.

Last edited by Rufus; 10-07-2009 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Over the last few weeks I've had some real life issues that have taken a large chunk of time away from me, preventing me from getting online, one of these being a faulty motherboard on the new computer I've built for myself. Now the company I work for has asked me to go to Canada for 10 weeks at very short notice (7 days); after Monday I don't even know where I'll be living, let alone if I'll have an internet connection. I've already messaged both Thor and Bell to let them know the situation. Ultimately I'll have to wait and see what kind of access I have whilst in Canada before we know for sure what's going on.
Holy ****, if it's not one thing it's the next.

Quote:
That may be the case but it really doesn't make sense that he is manager if he fails to even due anything managing-wise. If he is demoted, nothing much might change except the fact that you aren't working for a a lazy ass manager anymore. I have always resented this dual management decision as it just gives another excuse for one manager. He has went to making up work excuses, to internet issues, to staff harassing him for his reasons not coming on.

I've been dev on Classic. I saw what both managers actually do. I haven't seen one directive by Master Storm yet. I actually unofficially quit a month or so ago due to college issues, and the fact Classic was going no where. Just didn't really care too much to make it public since nothing would change.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)

Last edited by MysticX2X; 10-07-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
I don't know why people suddenly have the idea that there is no Development and everythings at a stand still,
the systems are almost to the same level of completion as before the wipe, (although with some new modules aswell) except much much more tidy, organised, abstracted and made in a way that will speed up content Development, so ok it's not something you can really play, but it will provide a good basis inwhich playable things can be made.
Once the new Clientside damage system was completed it literally took me about 15 minutes to make 5 varieties of Bombs (including normal, Jolt, Super), and the same for once the projectile system was tied into it.

As of right now all that remains is some finishing touches to S + A dropping & basic dropitems, Cliff jumping and some further changes to the movement,
and then i'd imagine we'd be looking to work on some of the basics such as a new Spar Arena, a collection of Events, basically the stuff which can support playercount at a later date while Quest content is worked on.

I think I should say that I think it's important Classic is remade properly and not necessarily quickly,
what's the good of rushing it back onto the Classic tab only for it to flounder about with 10 - 20 players again?
Classic needs to be capable of attracting/adding to a new community of players,
it often gets said that it's the community that has made this server enjoyable, both pre and post NPCserver, but you can't keep the same community forever, people move on and having the same group of players time and time again within events for example contributes to stagnation, and while it's disappointing to be off the Classic tab and not be able to play CTF it wasn't exactly a bad time to attempt something such as this, there was nothing to lose.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Classic needs to be capable of attracting/adding to a new community of players, it often gets said that it's the community that has made this server enjoyable, both pre and post NPCserver, but you can't keep the same community forever, people move on and having the same group of players time and time again within events for example contributes to stagnation
So.. where are you going to get your players from?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Classic would have to appeal in a way other servers do not,
while competing with aspects that are common.
Now yes this may be unrealistic at the current time, i'm not under any illusions, this is a long term ambition assuming short ones are successful,
but it's a transition which cannot take place over night.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Classic would have to appeal in a way other servers do not,
while competing with aspects that are common.
Now yes this may be unrealistic at the current time, i'm not under any illusions, this is a long term ambition assuming short ones are successful,
but it's a transition which cannot take place over night.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
Start a fundraiser to see if you could bribe Tyhm to come back.

Of course, the elephant in the room is Graal and its population problems.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
@ Rufus

I assume he's going to try to sway players from other servers to try this "new classic" and hopefully have enough neat/unique stuff to convince them to spend more time here. Likewise, the plan is to hopefully lure back some of the common players of the past two-three years.

I don't know how many people that would be, nor if it will even be successful, but that'd be my guess. Considering that graal's overall playercount is likely never going to greatly increase, we're essentially going to have to market ourselves as something new and fresh in the 'graal community' in order to have any chance whatsoever of getting a decent playerbase. If we're simply more of the same-old crap that graal currently has, then this project will die within a week of any release and Classic will likely die forever.

So yeah. Hopefully we're going to have new/different stuff in order to bring players in.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 AM
xmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
1- asstadmin
2-this project would be advanced if storm was doing his job, as a manager your job is not to log on for 2 mins every week, im more active than him.
3**-you clearly dont know anything if you talk like you never ever logged on it since its went UC.

no need to try and backup a ghost.
Okay....
1. Asst Admin. No need for either an Admin or Asst Admin if progress is at a stand still, which in a previous post SOMEONE just listed progress, so it's no stand still.
2. I agree with that, I agree that having a place for my family to live is more important then playing Graal. You need to talk to the appropriate people or maybe Storm to display your frustration. Every great Leader should know when their time is up. If Storm doesn't believe his time is up, you should convince him, but having another Active Manager, you can't blow all the blame up his dress.
3. I just recently started playing Graal again, I've been on a few times. But I haven't seen anything more then a overworld and 2 indoor levels!

as well as I never really backed him up. I said as a friend, I HOPE Storm is putting his time and devotion into this project as the Manager. If he's not, well you need to talk to the right persons.

Thank You.

- Former Global Graphics Administration
- Former Maloria Admin
- Former Classic GP Captain
- Former Classic Events Coordinator
- Creator of Graal Underground
- Former GP Chief, Graal 2001
- Various other project and servers as well

When guilds had a meaning:
- TGM - Co Leader
- Red Dragon
- The Graalian Army Leader

EoM!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Pink Chicken
acaremon02 will become famous soon enough
Opinion: The paranoia of playercount is misplaced.

Playercount should NOT be dependent on how fast the server comes up.
Premature rebirth of Classic = lack of content = Same Classic players = Same disappointment = Back to where we are right now.

Playercount should NOT be dependent on UN/Era/Other server's players.

Instead, Graal and Cyberjoueurs should be advertising this game and bring in a wave of new players. I have yet to see a single ad banner for Graal.
In addition, it's always been the same players over and over again.
Even the new players end up being old players pretending to be new.

Classic is not entirely responsible for the playercount.
Classic WAS responsible for LOSING playercounts,
but as for getting new players, there's only so much a single server can do.

I believe the problem of playercount is more on a corporate level.

// As for Development dropping out like flies, it's natural for someone not being paid.
I don't see why ANY Developers here need to bother doing any of this at all.
It's purely for our entertainment, and hopefully yours.
The worst part is, players have the rights to complain because they pay for this game.
Though I do think it's good to remind everyone: Developers are players too.
When you complain, please add some constructive criticism for the good of Classic.//
Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaremon02 View Post

Instead, Graal and Cyberjoueurs should be advertising this game and bring in a wave of new players. I have yet to see a single ad banner for Graal.
In addition, it's always been the same players over and over again.
Even the new players end up being old players pretending to be new.
I was thinking that as well. Graal never really has advertised. You always find out from a friend. Or just scrambling across it on accident.

- Former Maloria Admin

- TGM - Co Leader
- Red Dragon

EoM!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 AM
Shaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I believe the problem of playercount is more on a corporate level.
I agree. It appears that it's economically beneficial to keep the servers up because the subscriptions, for now, probably outpace the costs. The difference is falling and when costs outpace income, Graal will probably be dropped.

Perhaps the sum of differences will be reinvested in something that can compete with everything else on the marketplace. The smart bet would probably be to take the money and run.

A game like Graal is somewhat competing against games that make many billions of dollars in revenue a year. The advantage it once had was that it wasn't a business, but a collaboration of players. To a degree, I suppose it still is, but it's focus has shifted to money. While that should be the focus of a business, Graal, as it stands, has no future as a business. It is merely trying to squeeze every last ounce of revenue it can get before it dies.

I've been around, off and on, since '98, so I'd rather it didn't go this way. It has, though, and until people start looking at reality, there's just going to be a cluster-whatever of confusion about why things are the way they are here.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 AM
Graal has really changed, Shaun is right. But with skill, Man makes money. The "skill" used to make graal, soon after became a job. Yet a job, only few people get paid for. 2 Gold Subscripions, 6 months.... $72.
6 Month Server space, nearly the same amount. But you can't blame them really. That's life, that's how we survive.
If they could make a profit without charging people, we'd be great, lol. The past is over. I know it won't be the same. We can only look to these new people. new players and current. Hell, who knows?
I'd love to keep rambling on but I have to go. lol.

- Former Maloria Admin

- TGM - Co Leader
- Red Dragon

EoM!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Though I do think it's good to remind everyone: Developers are players too.
When you complain, please add some constructive criticism for the good of Classic.//
Can't blame some people when said people refuse to give up their position despite several requests.

I don't get why people are complaining about the playercount now while a server is trying to rebuild itself. This thread was aimed at the development progress/management.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)