Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Guilds and Warring

A good few years ago, Classic had a healthy number of guilds and there was constant wars going on. I consider these to be some of the most enjoyable experiences I've had on Graal, but these days there seems to be less interest in guilds and less loyalty to them from the players, ultimately leading to less wars.

I'd like to see guilds start playing a greater role again. I'd like to introduce more guild forts and tie these into some kind of leader board to track which guilds control the server. I do have an idea for a major redesign of guild forts, but this is still on the drawing board.

I'm also thinking of tying guilds into events. For example, the monthly spar could honour the winning guild as well as the winning player. If the number of guild increases it may be possible to have a monthly guild championship. There's nothing like a bit of guild rivalry to increase the loyalty of its members.

How does everyone currently view the role of guilds in Classic, and what would you like to see in the future for guilds on Classic.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Fix your HD so we have something decent to pk with first.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I think that there are issues with guilds that can only be solved on a global level. Massokre also identified this problem when he tried to do guild work in the past. I have a couple of ideas on how to encourage guild activity on Classic, but what kind of timescale are you looking at here? How long would it take to implement such features? You've mentioned that you've had guild ideas in the past, but nothing ever came of them.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Guild Activity all around Graal has been declining the past couple years. I don't think there may be any effect to get guilds participating here again.

My suggestion is to propose local guilds with great hierarchy on the server, still allowing global guilds, so that there can be more close competition.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
My suggestion is to propose local guilds with great hierarchy on the server, still allowing global guilds, so that there can be more close competition.
Eh? How would that change anything?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:11 AM
DMCsparda is on a distinguished road
It's a good enough idea. Hope it works this time.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
I ****ing hate guild gates
Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Active guild leaders make for active guilds. Having some events based guild activities and bragging rights can't possibly hurt guilds in any way. Ventrue may hate it since, you know, the last man standing wins thing and never admitting you can possibly lose but even they will have to be happy to have some activity.

Guilds survive through wars, what difference does it make what the hit detection is, you're all on equal ground. The wars of old had to be some of the laggiest, most annoyingly horrible pieces of mastery there was but still managed to last 3 days straight without someone complaining they couldn't fight cause they lagged or got hit 3 tiles away. And this was pre npc server as well as post npc server so don't even try to argue that part.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
Sorry for the double post but.... REP FOR LUDA!

How can you take over a guilds guildhouse if you can't get in!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
I dropped the ball on this one I'M SORRY
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p_Sir_Link View Post
I dropped the ball on this one I'M SORRY
Yah good job taking what was a good idea from me and bastardizing it in to an idea that destroyed any sense of fun in guilds.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Eh? How would that change anything?
I guess having more focalized guilds could contribute to more competitiveness.

How could having 2 guilds competing on new guild forts change anything?

Was just a suggestion none the less.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Sorry for the double post but.... REP FOR LUDA!

How can you take over a guilds guildhouse if you can't get in!
wheres my rep
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
I guess having more focalized guilds could contribute to more competitiveness.

How could having 2 guilds competing on new guild forts change anything
Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Look. Guild activity is at a low right now. The only major guild that still has respectable activity is US. Ventrue is hit and miss, and beyond that I see very little.

The problem that I find right now is that "guild wars" have no actual way to end, and no reward to the winner. As far as I know, they haven't had either in the past. But really, why do I want to spend 3 hours (or more) bashing my s key when I don't get anything out of it?

The last war I was in, both guilds were declaring victory the entire time, especially when a large portion of the other guilds players were dead/idling. But really, how are we supposed to win? Does the guild with the nerdiest player win just b/c they can stay up later than anyone else? Does the guild with the most members online win? Does the guild who doesn't have all of its members dead for 1 second win?

Even if you find an excuse to declare "victory", you don't gain anything out of it. No tickets, no gelats, no prizes, no nothing. Sure you get some kills I guess, but last time I checked that doesn't buy you anything.

IMO each major guild needs to have a guildfort that is capture-able when three of its members are online. Obviously this wouldn't be perfect, as someone could just log off to stop an attack. But bases need to be assault-able when a solid number of potential defenders are online, bases need to be capture-able (maybe something like MoD or KoM), and guilds need to get rewarded in some way for capturing forts.

I don't know how all the details of such a plan would work, since there are many options for each part (assault, capture, and reward), but I do know that right now guilds have no incentive to war each other (IF they were online at all.) Until a system for winning and rewards is established, I feel that guild activity will remain at the current levels.

I'm sure there are other ideas how to solve this problem, but those are my thoughts.