Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
On Era and Zodiac I was constantly being killed the moment I left OSL.
LOL SO TRUE.
They never bothered to fix that or do anything about that.
I guess that's why I never bothered to play them aswell. Maybe a bit Era, but that was a long time ago.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
A topic dedicated to complaining. How original.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
a response that contributes to the thread

...wait
Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I hope Stefan, Stephane, and the PWA don't take this same idiotic attitude, unless their goal is to kill Graal
Old 06-20-2009, 02:33 AM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
Quote:
On Era and Zodiac I was constantly being killed the moment I left OSL.
on Zodiac I can see this being true, but on Era it's way over exaggerated. I don't see how you were being so killed easily unless you ran out and stood still making yourself an extremely vulnerable target. if you simply run away from the person shooting at you then there is a much higher chance at surviving. not to mention there are so many different no-pk buildings around unstick me that you can run into to avoid being killed.

it's different on Zodiac. you have all these spells that slow you down and freeze you in place which makes you an easy target when you leave osl. on Era, it's completely different. you really have to be beyond bad at Graal if you let yourself constantly get killed on Era upon leaving unstick me.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
quite frankly if you can't run away from the people who are level 50 and above or whatever and they also have swords and axes and such, then you are definitely going to get killed. run away until you get away and then level up or however it is you go about leveling and acquiring awesome weapons in zodiac and era or whatever server, and then kill them

get friends who have awesome stuff already if you wanna go about it the easy way, since RPGs only work if you spend time on it
Old 06-20-2009, 03:29 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p_Sir_Link View Post
I hope Stefan, Stephane, and the PWA don't take this same idiotic attitude, unless their goal is to kill Graal
What do Stefan, Unixmad, and the PWAs have to do with it? If you're so upset that Classic servers don't have guides, then go complain to the managers.

Graal is a pretty static community, and Classic servers have existed for 10+ years. At least, Valikorlia has been around since the beginning. Do you honestly expect guides to be written now? Do you really think it's imperative that tutorials are scripted? And, in any case, why would you ask for them here, instead of going straight to the servers themselves?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
And naturally your first post involves complaining about the topic instead of contributing to it.
Quote:
Do you really think it's imperative that tutorials are scripted?
Unlike you, I consider playerworlds to be games. And any modern decently made game will provide some form of direction and instruction on how to play.
Quote:
And, in any case, why would you ask for them here, instead of going straight to the servers themselves?
Because that is what forums are for, if the playerworld staff don't use the forums then it's their own stupid fault they don't receive all the input they should be getting.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Pink Chicken
acaremon02 will become famous soon enough
I agree with this thread.

This is going to sound stupid but,
we should treat newbies like newborn babies.
Assume that they have never played a video game before.
Teach them about which key does what -
how to move, how to open the inventory, how to slash, pick up bushes, how to use items..

And teach them where to go.
Many games have an exclaimation mark or a map marking on where the player should go/head towards.

I'm not sure if it's possible to script such things on Graal, but perhaps it'll be more helpful to new players.
Many are young and haven't played other computer games before,
some haven't interacted with so many people they haven't met before.
If I were a newbie on an mmorpg, I would be a bit frightened to ask others for help. There are a lot of rude people on mmo games, who could I possibly trust?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaremon02 View Post
I'm not sure if it's possible to script such things on Graal, but perhaps it'll be more helpful to new players.
Many are young and haven't played other computer games before,
some haven't interacted with so many people they haven't met before.
If I were a newbie on an mmorpg, I would be a bit frightened to ask others for help. There are a lot of rude people on mmo games, who could I possibly trust?
It's actually more then possible, it's pretty easy. Most people just don't want to do it I guess.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Pink Chicken
acaremon02 will become famous soon enough
About Newbies:

I don't know about you people but I know I'm not the most social person around. No, it's NOT that easy to trust people on Graal. The first time I logged on UN and Era, I get PK'd, made fun of for being a "newbie", and get shot at with weird NPC's. I haven't even said anything.. Would this make me WANT to ask for help, at all?

About Staff:

Staff on servers are divided, Development/FAQ/GP (development breaks down to GAT, NAT, LAT, etc) --
unlike on other MMORPG's where everyone is considered a Game Master.

Staff on servers are known for ignoring newbies if they are not FAQ, or pushing responsibilities around. Unprofessional, or UNPROFESSIONAL?

I think it's the developers duty to help ease new players into this unhealthy environment and help them understand this is how it works (;-_-) around here.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
But I don't get it?
Almost every server out there have a "Newbie Course".
That should be enough!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Any server out there have this bunch of people who played for a long time and just don't want some new competition, so they just ignore newbies or just kill them.
Still on the exemple of Zodiac, anybody new or who didn't play Zodiac from the very start is getting killed in the first 30s of the game, and that's a real problem because only a few players stay and try to be strong, but it takes even more time to get there.

That's why most of them are not even bothered playing.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 PM
one of the good guys
Prozac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Prozac
Abour nine years ago when making the first version of Sanstrata, what came naturally to my mind was 'let's give the players something to do, small quests for beginners, collecting items, rewards for simple actions (killing npc baddies gave experience points) and then higher level quests and appropriate rewards'

and a strong community formed around that ...

community is but one of three strands that hold a server together, in my opinion, the other two are competition, and QUESTS.

Quests - something for the player to do regardless if any others happen to be around on whatever level they are in, something where action brings a reward, and they discover a story and how they are the main part in that tale

competition - events, sparring, etc but in a balanced fashion so that each player, however far along they are, has a moderatly fair advantage against any other player

community - this happens naturally and is between the players and their ability to interact with each other... sometimes npcs can help here such as trading items, ganis and such

but a world designed around quests and telling a story with a theme of 'collect the orbs of light and defeat this evil emporer to restore peace to the world' as a foundation ... and many people did feel strongly about that server in various ways. it was part of what gave it meaning and was something people cared about
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandralove View Post
Any server out there have this bunch of people who played for a long time and just don't want some new competition, so they just ignore newbies or just kill them.
Still on the exemple of Zodiac, anybody new or who didn't play Zodiac from the very start is getting killed in the first 30s of the game, and that's a real problem because only a few players stay and try to be strong, but it takes even more time to get there.

That's why most of them are not even bothered playing.
Between that, the ability for friends to power-level their noob friends, and questionable staff, I've never bothered sticking around.