Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
Era desperately needs to be made more newbie friendly

Inspired by this thread:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums....php?p=1500096

Era has a pretty decent player count these days but I can assure you that it could be higher. New players lose interest in the server if they don't know what to do upon logging on.

Put yourself into their shoes. You just downloaded Graal and Era happens to be the server with the highest player count so you connect. You are instantly thrown into the game without the slightest idea of what to do or where to go. Maybe the weapon shop sign catches your eye so you walk into the store to see what you can purchase, only to realize you don't have any money. Then what? Depending on how eager you are, you may wander around to find an area to make money but I'm sure after a while you'd give up and log off.

Think about how many possible frequent Era players we are losing because of this. The average player count will rise if newbies are guided into the game.

I have a few ideas that could help fix this issue.

Newbie course.
A series of levels that are separate from Era's gmap should be made for the purpose of teaching new players the controls along with certain aspects of the game.

Have the tutorial teach the following:
  • The controls such as equipping an item, opening up the inventory, dropping and picking up items, etc.
  • Each section of the GUI.
  • Buying items.
  • Picking and recycling trash.
  • Picking flowers and making bouquets.
  • Mining rocks and processing them.
  • Chopping down trees.
  • The dangers of PK zones.
  • The concept of gangs and businesses.

Beginning quest.
Before exiting the tutorial, the NPC that guides you through should tell you something like, "See my friend Frankie after you reach the main island and he will help you get started." The quest could be simple tasks such as talking to other NPCs around the map this way the player will get familiar with certain key locations such as the hospital, flower shop, seashell shack, etc.

Upon finishing the quest you will be rewarded with an uzi and 25 boxes of ammo. This will keep the new player entertained for a while and will make him or her want to log back onto the server and play more, I guarantee it.

GPS.
This is a modern server. It would be cool if the map was turned into a GPS interface. You could select from preset locations which would then activate an arrow on screen to guide you to the location. Lets say you learned how to dig shells in the tutorial but upon finishing you don't know where the seashell shack is. Press M, select "seashell shack" and you are then guided to your location.

You could also implement your own way points if you wanted to be guided to a location that isn't listed as a preset. This would be convenient so you don't have to constantly check the map to see where you're going.

These 3 things will help new players get into the game. A tutorial and beginning quest will increase the amount of time a new player spends on the server from 5 minutes to up to an hour before logging off.

If you have any other ideas or want to build upon mine, please post.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
for the profession items that cost money like the trash pick (I think?), change the system so that you are loaned one and work off the loan by picking enough of the items with it.

IE, you're given the trash pick but in return you must bring back 5-10 pieces of litter before you can start making money with it.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
xChugxLifex
trash picking and mailing letters doesn't cost money.

mining, digging, and wood cutting do, but not a lot.
you can pick trash until you get 27 dollars for a shovel. it's not that big of a deal really. I like how there are 2 different tiers of jobs. one that doesn't require money input and one that does.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 AM
MontyPython is a jewel in the roughMontyPython is a jewel in the rough
GPS system's a good idea.

Yeah, I definitely agree on a tutorial course/level. Throw that up, remove FAQs, and make GPs into a Player Relations position, where they can do GP work and answer the few random questions people have left.

That being said, I don't think the most frustrating/daunting thing about Era is learning how to play it. I think the reason most people would quit (including me, if I had just started), is a few hours after playing. You find the jobs, you see the shops, you're having a good time. You go work on a job for a while, make 1k or so. Then you start playing the market, and realize that for even mediocre guns, you're going to be working that job for hours and hours and hours. Think about the idea of digging shells or mining for 100k+. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't (and don't).

I think once the prices of weapons start matching up more on par with the amount you get from certain jobs, then you've got a better start on making Era a better environment to play in. It's getting better, to be sure, but it's still got a long way to go.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Inspired by this thread:
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums....php?p=1500096

Era has a pretty decent player count these days but I can assure you that it could be higher. New players lose interest in the server if they don't know what to do upon logging on.

Put yourself into their shoes. You just downloaded Graal and Era happens to be the server with the highest player count so you connect. You are instantly thrown into the game without the slightest idea of what to do or where to go. Maybe the weapon shop sign catches your eye so you walk into the store to see what you can purchase, only to realize you don't have any money. Then what? Depending on how eager you are, you may wander around to find an area to make money but I'm sure after a while you'd give up and log off.

Think about how many possible frequent Era players we are losing because of this. The average player count will rise if newbies are guided into the game.

I have a few ideas that could help fix this issue.

Newbie course.
A series of levels that are separate from Era's gmap should be made for the purpose of teaching new players the controls along with certain aspects of the game.

Have the tutorial teach the following:
  • The controls such as equipping an item, opening up the inventory, dropping and picking up items, etc.
  • Each section of the GUI.
  • Buying items.
  • Picking and recycling trash.
  • Picking flowers and making bouquets.
  • Mining rocks and processing them.
  • Chopping down trees.
  • The dangers of PK zones.
  • The concept of gangs and businesses.

Beginning quest.
Before exiting the tutorial, the NPC that guides you through should tell you something like, "See my friend Frankie after you reach the main island and he will help you get started." The quest could be simple tasks such as talking to other NPCs around the map this way the player will get familiar with certain key locations such as the hospital, flower shop, seashell shack, etc.

Upon finishing the quest you will be rewarded with an uzi and 25 boxes of ammo. This will keep the new player entertained for a while and will make him or her want to log back onto the server and play more, I guarantee it.

GPS.
This is a modern server. It would be cool if the map was turned into a GPS interface. You could select from preset locations which would then activate an arrow on screen to guide you to the location. Lets say you learned how to dig shells in the tutorial but upon finishing you don't know where the seashell shack is. Press M, select "seashell shack" and you are then guided to your location.

You could also implement your own way points if you wanted to be guided to a location that isn't listed as a preset. This would be convenient so you don't have to constantly check the map to see where you're going.

These 3 things will help new players get into the game. A tutorial and beginning quest will increase the amount of time a new player spends on the server from 5 minutes to up to an hour before logging off.

If you have any other ideas or want to build upon mine, please post.
Currently staff (including myself) are working on a Newbie Course.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 AM
MontyPython is a jewel in the roughMontyPython is a jewel in the rough
It's nice that you quoted all of that.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 AM
xChugxLifex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkler View Post
Currently staff (including myself) are working on a Newbie Course.
yeah well use my post to make sure you do it right lol
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPython View Post
It's nice that you quoted all of that.
I don't know how to break it up lol.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I planned to add one to the main server very soon, but it's been delayed a bit unfortunately because of the Era News system. I'll be making one for the Dev server, and if it's not too much work (which it shouldn't be), I'll port it over to the main server as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Ya, Chris already wanted to add this to the server. I believe he is/was going to work with the FAQ team to create something informative and educational to give the basics of the server.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:11 PM
i can haz gold plz
Dumdumdidi will become famous soon enough
The tutorial thing was supposed to be started long ago, like 6 months ago, just after i got hired. I was tasked to do this with Jenn, but nothing was started because a certain high ranking staff disagreed to these + the market stands idea.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I logged on last night and was completely lost. I sent out a few masses for help and got a little help (thanks goes out to Sinkler, Donark). If it wasn't for the few people who helped me I would still be in the OSL.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
get the newbie protection back, i saw way to many noobs leave after getting pked by the lamer/gang players
Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
get the newbie protection back, i saw way to many noobs leave after getting pked by the lamer/gang players
Agreed, thats what drove me away when I actually tried to "play." If I could of found something to do in the hospital I might of survived for longer than 5 minutes.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Ya. Put DDR in the hospital.