Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Shadow12314 is on a distinguished road
New Playerworlds

So I was playing around with the idea in my head of buying a PlayerWorld.

Now I know what you're thinking. This is going to crash and burn like every other one. Well you're probably right, so I'm just going to assume that's the case.

The idea was just a bit of fun really. Though, before doing so obviously as I'm going to pay for this, I'd like some people to be semi-interested of being able to use their skills at their own free will, before actually buying it. Although I have no real plan for this... I'd rather it be used than not used.

I have 2 people saying they might be interested, and others saying don't bother, or don't give graal your money (well I'm not particularly bothered by THAT).

Anyone else wish to take there opinion? I expect high levels of "this is a waste of money."
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Not every server crashes and burns. Very few are able to reach it onto the hosted tab, but a large majority of them have expired but aren't complete fails. The Graal stereotype of a UC server is a noob lead abuse playground that serves no real purpose. If you've got a decent idea and can dedicate the time and effort to the development, you're not completely screwed.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Shadow12314 is on a distinguished road
To be honest with everyone here. I'm not one for great experience around the whole graal server business. The most I've had is creating levels and poking around in a few scripts.

Though abuse is not my style. I have experience with management elsewhere.

And again, I really have no specific Idea or Plan per se. This will probably put people off hugely.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Delterian Hybrid
I wouldn't recommend buying a server until you have everything planned, documented and know where you want to go with it.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 PM
That guy with a beard
PrinceOfKenshin has a spectacular aura about
I don't see any wrong in doing this, i mean if you don't mind shelling out the cash then whats the problem?

However.
Graal is at a point where I, personally, would not buy a server because i see no point what so ever of servers. It's clear graal is never going to get anything new development wise, unless we the players make it ourselves (which at that point i would just make my own damn game).

But with that aside i say go for it if you want to. I wish you all the luck in the world

Quote:
Game Master (Server): Greetings PrinceOfKenshin, there are new posts on the forums that demand your urgent attention! God speed, the fate of the world is in your hands. If you fail, middle earth will forever be in the darkness and your children will be enslaved by McKain.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfKenshin View Post
I don't see any wrong in doing this, i mean if you don't mind shelling out the cash then whats the problem?

However.
Graal is at a point where I, personally, would not buy a server because i see no point what so ever of servers. It's clear graal is never going to get anything new development wise, unless we the players make it ourselves (which at that point i would just make my own damn game).

But with that aside i say go for it if you want to. I wish you all the luck in the world
If you read my post, I mention that if you're unplanned and don't have anything to build on, you don't really have any work to do on the server and it becomes another rushed Graal server will horrible levels, stolen graphics and codes from the forums managed by a 10 year old who loves to hit the ban button.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
If you have fun with the server you bought, and you think the money was worth it, then you're not wasting money.
It's the same like buying video games, man.

I paid for a server for about 3 years, and I had so much fun with it, I also learnt so much from it that I never thought of it as a waste of money, even though it got nowhere.

The world I created is now the world that I use for my DnD campaign. Improvisation time saver, yeah!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
If you read my post, I mention that if you're unplanned and don't have anything to build on, you don't really have any work to do on the server and it becomes another rushed Graal server will horrible levels, stolen graphics and codes from the forums managed by a 10 year old who loves to hit the ban button.
Yeah stolen Graphics like you stole my Graphics for your stupid Lexia project? You should quit posting on the Forums really.

Buy a Server if you want, but in my opinion its useless because you will have everyday a playercount of 0-1....Everybody is using Testbed as "playground" and testing things. I am not sure if people would use ur Server aswell. But maybe you will find some noobs they love to abuse rights and adding Staff systems for dragging people around lool

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoX View Post
Yeah stolen Graphics like you stole my Graphics for your stupid Lexia project? You should quit posting on the Forums really.

Buy a Server if you want, but in my opinion its useless because you will have everyday a playercount of 0-1....Everybody is using Testbed as "playground" and testing things. I am not sure if people would use ur Server aswell. But maybe you will find some noobs they love to abuse rights and adding Staff systems for dragging people around lool
Don't start a flame war here please, it has no use and doesn't add anything to this specific combination.

Buying a playerworld is completely useless in the strict sense of the word. But that isn't the point at all. It's amazing to create your own world and have people type in the name of your world to be able to see it for themselves!

If the server owner thinks 90$ is worth it, then it IS worth it.
Your opinions on this don't really matter. I'm not discarding them, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but they don't matter at this point.

Do you want to make a classic-tab playerworld? Then don't start it this way.

Do you want to try your hand at Dev'ing in an environment controlled by you, and see where it leads? Then decide if the price gives enough value back to you, and then do or don't buy it!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:49 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

I don't want to remind you of the times when you started off with your projects/servers back then. Eden didn't exactly have a good reputation. Remember, champ?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I don't want to remind you of the times when you started off with your projects/servers back then. Eden didn't exactly have a good reputation. Remember, champ?
Shadow talked with me on GK about buying a Server to let everyone on it so I just gave him my opinion Eden was hmmm like 2005-2006. We have now nearly 2012. I dont know what you are trying to say though.

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 AM
27Junior1 is on a distinguished road
I say go for it, buy a server. But to get the most enjoyment out of it, you should really plan out your server, and gather some staff before you buy a server.

Anyway, if you decide to buy a server have fun and good luck
Old 12-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Era Manager
DuBsTeRmAn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to DuBsTeRmAn
Dont do it. Thats my advice.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:

And here I was so stupid as to think that this was finally hammered into that stupidly thick head of yours.