Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Universal Tailor

I propose a Universal Tailor to be implemented. This tailor would be activated via F4(or some other macro), and be documented as well. The tailor will allow the players to easily change their head, shield, sword, body, and body colors. Along with it the ability to save changes into 20 different slots. These slots will be universal among the Graal servers(perhaps saved the same way the buddy list is?) so the player can load up their look as soon as they log on to a new server.

I know this will conflict with servers that use custom looks and all... but I don't think that it will conflict so much as to defeat the purpose. I hate having to log onto a new server I'm trying out and going through a whole process of making my character look like me. Especially since every server has a different way of changing colors. It's annoying trying to figure it all out each time. How do you think that looks towards new players? Having to change the look of their player the biggest quest on Graal ever?

One thing that shouldn't be included are hats, since I know hats are implemented differently on different servers.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 AM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
I think this is a good idea. As for the servers that use custom looks, there can always be a serveroption or something that disables the tailor menu.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by napo_p2p View Post
I think this is a good idea. As for the servers that use custom looks, there can always be a serveroption or something that disables the tailor menu.
I was going to post the exact same thing, but I figure a lot of servers would just disable it and use their own custom one(thinking it's better), leading to the exact same problem there is now. I think if this is done(which I'm sure it'll have to be for some servers), it'll have to be approved via PWA.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
You could make a script that does it and easily do the cross-server style saving by just saving the text files on the client's computer. Sounds like a nice idea. You'd have to get all the playerworlds to participate though.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Well, all heads, bodies and shields would have to be uploaded to all the playerworlds using this. That's a bit tricky. Other than that, nice idea.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Looks like it will causes some problems, but if this get done, I'm ok for it to be implemented on my playerworld

Nice idea here, just need to see how to do it without having lot of ppl complaining because of custom stuffs.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
You'd have to get all the playerworlds to participate though.
Could just have a GST implement something like this:

PHP Code:
this.disabledServers = {"Graal Kingdoms""Zone" };
if (!(
servername in this.disabledServers)) {

// proceed

Of course, servers would have to provide a valid reason to be added to the disabled list, such as using custom bodies.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Well, all heads, bodies and shields would have to be uploaded to all the playerworlds using this. That's a bit tricky. Other than that, nice idea.
Why? I mean it would be nice, but that's not necessary. Simply have textbox where you type in the head filename. It sucks that it has to be done that way but because of the way Graal handles this kind of stuff it's the simplest way to do it effectively.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Perhaps implement something similar to the File Browser I made for Valikorlia.

And I would prefer not having the GST dictate whether or not it is used.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Perhaps implement something similar to the File Browser I made for Valikorlia.

And I would prefer not having the GST dictate whether or not it is used.
I've thought about that, the only problem is it'd have to calculate a list from the server, and not clientside(because like it's been stated, different servers use different graphics). I guess this is possible, and would be really cool but seems excessive. Especially since I figured it'd try to download all those heads as soon as you start browsing.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I've thought about that, the only problem is it'd have to calculate a list from the server, and not clientside(because like it's been stated, different servers use different graphics).
On Valikorlia you use an RC command to calculate a list of graphics to be ready to be sent to client when it is requested. would be nice if there was a compression function.
Quote:
I guess this is possible, and would be really cool but seems excessive. Especially since I figured it'd try to download all those heads as soon as you start browsing.
Yes, it does download all the heads en-mass. Not a problem for my connection of course, though I don't know how much it stresses the GServer upload rate.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I especially don't want to think of the poor 56k'ers
Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Incubator
Quote:
I especially don't want to think of the poor 56k'ers
They just won't get to use it then.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
They just won't get to use it then.
Which cripples the whole purpose of this. An attempt to unify the controls of Graal so each different server doesn't have different controls for the same exact thing.

I think a simple textbox would suffice. And if needed perhaps a head/sword/shield/body browser as well, but that should be separate.

This shouldn't be hard at all to implement. There are already tons of tailors like this, it would just have to be uploaded to login. All that would need to be added was a method of saving the slot data to be global. This could be done clientside, I suppose(in a file), though I think a serverside saving(like the buddylist) would be more preferred. So you don't lose your looks when you change computers.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Incubator
Quote:
Which cripples the whole purpose of this. An attempt to unify the controls of Graal so each different server doesn't have different controls for the same exact thing.
The File Browser is separate deal. The tailor system will work just fine without it. You misunderstood me.