Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Udp?

This isn't really a technical problem or anything but more of a question to everyone incase someone knows...

Does checking "Don't use UDP packages" affect how much you lag? I've always had UDP disabled (checked) since I'm on a network but does this make me lag more?

Can I simply forward ports so I don't have to check this? I see a port in the F3 options with "Use fixed port", is this to make UDP work? The reason I always have UDP disabled is because I can't see most people moving in a level...been like this since 2001 when I shared my connection.

Will I lag less? People on UN say I lag and was just wondering...
Old 12-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
UDP is faster, but I am not sure how noticeably slower TCP is.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
It depends on the connection and the players you are playing with. If you play with european people on a Gold server or classic server then using UDP should be faster, since most servers are in the USA. UDP packets are sent directly to the other players, so you see the players with less lag and the other players see you with less lag, but peer-to-peer UDP is only working when both players are directly connected to the Internet or use a firewall/NAT which can forward UDP packets. Setting a fixed port for UDP often makes it easier to get the NAT forwarding it (you still need to configure it to use that port though).
Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It depends on the connection and the players you are playing with. If you play with european people on a Gold server or classic server then using UDP should be faster, since most servers are in the USA. UDP packets are sent directly to the other players, so you see the players with less lag and the other players see you with less lag, but peer-to-peer UDP is only working when both players are directly connected to the Internet or use a firewall/NAT which can forward UDP packets. Setting a fixed port for UDP often makes it easier to get the NAT forwarding it (you still need to configure it to use that port though).
So all I need to do is forward "14899" and using UDP will be fine for me? If so then great, because I've been using TCP since 2001 due to the fact that I've shared my connection with my brother since who also used to play Graal.

Edit- I forwarded the port and unchecked UDP. I re-opened Graal and wow. Everyone is moving smoother now, I can hear people's microphones, and im sure they see me less choppy. Thanks, I don't know why I didn't do this earlier. TCP is too choppy.

Last edited by Crono; 12-05-2006 at 02:00 AM..
Old 12-05-2006, 02:16 AM
Banned
Devil has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Devil Send a message via MSN to Devil
People use to say clicking it would make you lag less.

I don't know, it really didn't make any difference.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:24 AM
That Guy
CheeToS2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CheeToS2
Hmm, have you ever thought of implementing UPnP, Stefan?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:49 AM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
I've had UDP on and the appropriate port forwarded but there is often a couple of players that just freeze when I do this =(.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
Keep UDP off and let those Europeans see you lag.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
Keep UDP off and let those Europeans see you lag.
huh?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned
Magadal will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeToS2 View Post
Hmm, have you ever thought of implementing UPnP, Stefan?
That would be awesome
Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Lagging is fun. It's always nice to see players get mad at you because they can't hit you in a spar.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
In the real world ogod.
Skrobo2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Lagging is fun. It's always nice to see players get mad at you because they can't hit you in a spar.
That's because you're lame.

Lagging isn't fun. Especially when it's hardware lag due to running dual monitors on a laptop with only 8mb of vram. Crono, I'm going to have to get you to help me set mine up the way you did next time you're on UN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
I would rather have dead forums.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 AM
farte6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually if you lag on graal you just suck, but if your sort of lag only occurs when others are viewing you from their computer then its pretty damn neat. But then again people are to slow to understand to beat lag in spars so they just get frustrated and charge you.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrobo2 View Post
That's because you're lame.

Lagging isn't fun. Especially when it's hardware lag due to running dual monitors on a laptop with only 8mb of vram. Crono, I'm going to have to get you to help me set mine up the way you did next time you're on UN.
Nah im not lame. Its just funny when people get pissed off they lose in spars. Sux 4 u.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
In the real world ogod.
Skrobo2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Nah im not lame. Its just funny when people get pissed off they lose in spars. Sux 4 u.
If you lag, you shouldn't be sparring. I hardly ever spar, pk, or play events when I'm running dual monitors. Partly from the hardware lag I experience and partly due to the fact that when I have my other monitor on, I'm working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
I would rather have dead forums.