Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
New Cliff Objects (22/08/2011)

I've seen a few references to my old tutorial recently (located here : http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=63614). I personally do not prefer that method of cliffing as I believe it's the easier alternative. I've developed a new version which will challenge your skills and enhance your levels (Massokre introduced me to this method). Enjoy!

Place the text document in to your Tile Object Folder within your Graal Online folder.
HTML Code:
C:\GraalOnline\tileobjects
If it does not work delete your FILENAMECACHE.txt in your main directory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal.png
Views:	585
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	53538  
Attached Files
File Type: nw wdm-CliffObjectsLevel.nw (9.1 KB, 313 views)
File Type: txt objectsBig Cliffs v2.txt (3.6 KB, 337 views)
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Nice. Prefer this style too. Fixed some errors with your rear corners.

Edit-Just incase anyone's wondering about the rear cliffs, you can also do something like this (sorry for the screenshot but it's the only example I could find).

Click image for larger version

Name:	alowan.png
Views:	784
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	53542
Attached Files
File Type: nw wdm-cliffobjectslevel (1).nw (9.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post

Edit-Just incase anyone's wondering about the rear cliffs, you can also do something like this (sorry for the screenshot but it's the only example I could find).

Attachment 53542
Thanks! I got pre-occupied with iEra
Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
you make me love you two more and more each day- love xxx
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
you make me love you two more and more each day- love xxx
Now I know your weakness. Ima start making levels xD
Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
This is exactly what I needed
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Add to stickied thread please, http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...52&postcount=1
Old 04-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Need to note that the connection with the diagonals to the rear faces is incorrect here. Rear facing cliffs should be 50% smaller on the y-axis than diagonal rear-facing cliffs for correct proportionality. Playing iClassic I've seen this mistake in a huge number of places. It isn't as noticeable on a small scale, but on a large scale, like the mountains, the skew is very visible on the map projection.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post

Attachment 53542
Damn, man. That is nice.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Damn, man. That is nice.
Nope, Crono missed the 50% drop-off too. I think he was referring to where the corner of the cliff meets the grass.

I will be getting a 64-bit system soon, so maybe I can show you then. Otherwise, you can just look at the northern face of the mountains on Classic from circa 2006.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake View Post
Nope, Crono missed the 50% drop-off too. I think he was referring to where the corner of the cliff meets the grass.

I will be getting a 64-bit system soon, so maybe I can show you then. Otherwise, you can just look at the northern face of the mountains on Classic from circa 2006.
Nah, it still looks nice. Yours are correct but a complete pain in the ass to work with and not at all flexible. I do like yours better though, it's more in line with the real thing.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Crono. I have always thought something when looking at your levels. What you call the correct way to tile cliffs, I do not always agree with. It's different than the way they are tiled in A Link to the Past which is the only cliffing bible I have ever used. A lot of your 'fixes' I would consider shortcuts or errors. At the end of the day, as long as it's appealing to the eye and you aren't reusing the same tile for many purposes, it's correct.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:43 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
In all honesty, I hardly notice any differences between the two styles.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
I like both styles, or the idea of loosely developing your own style. To rephrase what I said, I just don't think there is one concrete proper cliff tiling method. The Graal cliff tiles in pics1 are incomplete and ugly in the first place. Crono uses custom tiles to fix that in his levels which is awesome. But he does use his tiles in a different way than Nintendo did in Zelda, which I will eternally use as my reference so don't ask me to stop.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
Crono uses custom tiles to fix that in his levels which is awesome.
Wait, which tiles are those?