Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
N-Pulse Assistant Manager
coreys has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Oh my God, why is everyone still on Flash, what the ****.
Java will work.
Java will work.
Java will work.
Java will work.
Java will work.

Quote:
*SlikRick: so should I even ask about your aim status?
*Xor: well if you want to
*Xor: but i am LARPING
*SlikRick: While on a computer?
*Xor: yes
*Xor: in my living room
*SlikRick: ahh
*Xor: i have a fort setup to hide from beasts
Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Why use Java when you can use Flash?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
Why use Java when you can use Flash?
i think stefan explained that quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
... porting the whole engine to a dead technology is not that fun.
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreys View Post
Oh my God, why is everyone still on Flash, what the ****.
Java will work.
Java will work.
Java will work.
Java will work.
Java will work.
I cannot imagine one possible reason why on earth Stefan would rewrite the entire Graal engine (including the GScript interpreter!) in a whole new different language when it won't really benefit Graal that much at all.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyld View Post
I cannot imagine one possible reason why on earth Stefan would rewrite the entire Graal engine (including the GScript interpreter!) in a whole new different language when it won't really benefit Graal that much at all.
corey keeps talking bull**** in threads, thinking he's going to make himself look smart.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
To penetrate the Facebook community with a social MMO, but Java is such a bore and then effort would have to be placed to prevent people from stealing the applets code.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Java is such a bore
That is pure and utter blasphemy.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to coreys Send a message via MSN to coreys Send a message via Yahoo to coreys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
corey keeps talking bull**** in threads, thinking he's going to make himself look smart.
lol you're funny. Yes, suggesting the only logical solution for creating a Facebook App version of Graal is talking bull****.

Quote:
You are quite disillusioned if you think this wouldn't help Graal much. This could potentially be more successful than even iPhone Graal. I know several people who play Graal who don't even play any other games...except for Facebook games.

And it is possible to integrate C++ with Java, so it wouldn't be necessary to completely rewrite the engine. The logistics of doing this in a Java web app I know little about, but from what I can tell it's not too difficult to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
To penetrate the Facebook community with a social MMO, but Java is such a bore and then effort would have to be placed to prevent people from stealing the applets code.
There's ways to make Java Apps more secure, such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
That is pure and utter blasphemy.
No, I have Java, I agree with him. It is, however, the best solution for this. Unless Stefan wants to use some more complex, less ideal solution like ASP.NET.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, I have Java, I agree with him. It is, however, the best solution for this. Unless Stefan wants to use some more complex, less ideal solution like ASP.NET.

While there are better languages out there other than Java, it's not as bad as some of you put it out to be. At my university, the first two programming courses use Java as the primary language (mainly because it's object-oriented and easy to use).

Graal on facebook would make a lot of people want to play it (on facebook), but I'm not so sure that it would help out the PC game in the long run. The Graal iPhone application has been out for a bit and the PC playercount is still more-or-less the same (no increases worth gloating about), so this could be a project where a lot of work would be put into it for little return (as Skyld stated).
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
Graal on facebook would make a lot of people want to play it (on facebook), but I'm not so sure that it would help out the PC game in the long run. The Graal iPhone application has been out for a bit and the PC playercount is still more-or-less the same (no increases worth gloating about), so this could be a project where a lot of work would be put into it for little return (as Skyld stated).
The only reason it's turned out that way on iPhone is because iPhone players cannot play on PC servers (and vice versa). But there would be no reason to put those kinds of restrictions on a web based facebook version.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
The only reason it's turned out that way on iPhone is because iPhone players cannot play on PC servers (and vice versa). But there would be no reason to put those kinds of restrictions on a web based facebook version.
iPhone Graal is free, while PC Graal is wayyy overpriced. A lot of iphone players are actually being introduced to the PC version, they're just not seeing anything worth staying for...

As long as the prices are like they are now, we're probably not going to see any new players subscribing.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
There's also the fact that iPhone players are accustomed to the Classic server they're playing, only to be baffled when they try out the PC version and it's not there. Stefan really should just take what they have now on the iPhone and copy it over to another server for PC players, just to ease the confusion of the iPhone players. Eventually they can try out other servers if they want to.

However, ya... pricing ****s the whole thing up regardless.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
2 steps to make graal win

1) rework pricing, preferably back to the way it used to be with lifetime classic and gold subscription

2) get classic out while Classic iPhone is still popular. maybe have the social aspects (read: not events, pking, spars, etc) of it available to both PC and iPhone users if its not against Apple's policies

also stefan, fix the bug i posted in the v6 thread
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
2 steps to make graal win

1) rework pricing, preferably back to the way it used to be with lifetime classic and gold subscription

2) get classic out while Classic iPhone is still popular. maybe have the social aspects (read: not events, pking, spars, etc) of it available to both PC and iPhone users if its not against Apple's policies
Lifetime subscriptions would be the death of Graal. Graal doesn't have a steady flow of players coming in to make it work in the long-run. I'm not against the cash-shop and in-game limitation direction they're taking it as long as it's not too extreme.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Lifetime subscriptions would be the death of Graal.
It wasn't the death of Graal 7 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva
Graal doesn't have a steady flow of players coming in to make it work in the long-run.
Alo? I'm trying to cater to the Classic iPhone players. If that isn't a potential flow of players I don't know what is.