Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
I support the 2k1 revision...

...some time this century.

Nah, I don't mean it. But really, is there ANY idea on a release date? This year? Next year? Just general wide ideas would be nice
Old 11-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Right now progress has slowed down a bit due to overworking and general lack of interest/burnout.

The project isn't dead but I'm not giving a release date or even an estimated guess as it's only going to irritate people more when that date comes and goes and there is still no server release.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 11-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Gone
zell12 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
I knew this would happen.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:51 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zell12 View Post
I knew this would happen.
You say this like there was someone who didn't know it would happen.

Well, outside of the 2K1 staff themselves.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
You guys talk as if all projects don't have their slow points. This is why I believe Managers shouldnt even talk about true development with players. Your all to ignorant to understand that in real life huge projects have there slow points and then they have their fast points.

Any of you ever talk to a actual game developer before? Or in fact have you ever talk to a damn computer programmer at that? lol Things time Jesus.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:40 AM
That Guy
CheeToS2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CheeToS2
Weren't you the one complaining about little being done when Lance was managing the server? Does this make you a bad manager by your own standards?

Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Gone
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi View Post
You say this like there was someone who didn't know it would happen.

Well, outside of the 2K1 staff themselves.
I don't know any other way to say "I knew it would happen."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
You guys talk as if all projects don't have their slow points. This is why I believe Managers shouldnt even talk about true development with players. Your all to ignorant to understand that in real life huge projects have there slow points and then they have their fast points.

Any of you ever talk to a actual game developer before? Or in fact have you ever talk to a damn computer programmer at that? lol Things time Jesus.
Also, we understand projects have their "slow points" and their "fast points" but it shouldn't be like that. It is not like that with professional development. There is enough incentive to keep the developers working; their job and the money they are paid.

There is little incentive to keep people working on this game. However, we knew this would happen. It always does.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 AM
I know japanese l33t
ryu_no_bishie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernix View Post

yes, i have actualy, alot and he taught me lots of stuff that ive tried to share with a number of staff (albiet none from your server) but it seems like every single staff i meet is increadably resistant to it. although thats probably because every staff i have ever met dosent seem to like me.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Enigma
Andy0687 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu_no_bishie View Post
yes, i have actualy, alot and he taught me lots of stuff that ive tried to share with a number of staff (albiet none from your server) but it seems like every single staff i meet is increadably resistant to it. although thats probably because every staff i have ever met dosent seem to like me.
Maybe its something about your superiority complex?

Anyways I thought I heard something about September for this a long time ago. I wasnt paying much attention though, I think some comments in this thread point out why.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Hollow
Myomoto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Myomoto Send a message via MSN to Myomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeToS2 View Post
Weren't you the one complaining about little being done when Lance was managing the server? Does this make you a bad manager by your own standards?
Shush you, with all your "sense", "logic", and "reason"
Old 11-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeToS2 View Post
I was. I was complaining because for half a year nothing was being done yet he was lying to people and saying there was progress.

Yet here I am telling you that progress has slowed down a lot. Sorry for being honest, but it's the truth.

I wasn't lying when I was saying things were getting done before. Because up until just recently, we've worked on the server every single day. We've done a whole lot but there is still a whole lot left to do. I see this as a halftime.

As mentioned, it is not really feasible to think that anybody is going to work every day on something where they don't get any pay or reward of any kind, and never will. This is purely for hobby and to make something that will entertain some people. I don't see why people treat staff on Graal as if they are paying them and expecting results, because if that were the case, well then I'd be a lousy manager.

But it's quite difficult to maintain an active team let alone maintain activity myself when my team is getting nothing but my thanks for all of their hard work, and nothing but pressure from people who are wanting to play.

I do intend to fully finish and release the server. There is no need for all of this drama.

Thanks for the support Inferno.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Gone
So what is the server looking like? What have you completed basically?

Are you guys trying to make a whole bunch of graphics, complex systems/games/whatever; what about the levels? What is slowing down?

Give us some info.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zell12 View Post
So what is the server looking like? What have you completed basically?

Are you guys trying to make a whole bunch of graphics, complex systems/games/whatever; what about the levels? What is slowing down?

Give us some info.
Well, aside from lack of any really active scripters... (which is one of the key problems right now), we're needing to complete some big graphics projects in order to feel like we can continue on.

The biggest is the female body set. I don't plan to release the server without one, and it's quite hard to cram all of the important female anatomy (you know, the anatomy that lets you know the difference betweeen male and female) into a tiny chubby little box of a Graal character.

Other than that, it's mainly the scripting. Contiga only pops on for maybe an hour a day (when nobody else is awake) so it's hard to communicate directly with him. Twusk has been popping in and out lately but I'm never really sure when he'll be available to help, and he's really just donating his time when he feels the desire to work.

Sern, my main scripter has just up and left the project and abandoned it without giving me a reason. Which I sorely dislike people doing.

But yeah, I'm sure if I could pay these people then we'd have none of these problems right now. But without any sort of payment, how am I supposed to maintain a team's interest and keep them working hard? It's just not possible. That's why game companies pay their employees.

It's not really something that we have control over. It's up to Stefan/Unixmad to figure out a solution to this... but I really don't think they care much about it. They are firm in their belief that making a server is just for a hobby and that's what it will remain. I'm not rich so I can't shell out money to pay workers.

No amount of great management is going to keep people working daily on a project without them losing interest or hope, when there's no compensation. I think that my team just needs a rest, myself most of all. After we let the server sit for a short while, we'll feel like we're compelled to finish it and not let it go to waste. We'll be able to brew up new ideas during the downtime and also recharge our batteries.

That's all I can really say about the matter. I'm sorry that the server isn't completed but I'm not sure the majority of people here realize just how much work is involved in this rebuild.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:01 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
just get it finished koni

you go girl

I KNOW HES A GUY SHUT UP
Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Gone
I understand what you are going through, you put more effort into this whole thing than Tseng did, so I'll give you that.

Have you ever thought of contacting the Global teams for assistance? Try presuading some scripters from other servers with less potential to come to this project?

I just don't know.

In my opinion the server was fine. The kingdoms needed redoing, the rest of the overworld needed development for more quests, games, etc. Other then that, I really don't see why everyone that tried to take this over is changing it completely.

It is clearly not working, its too much. Once it gets a lot of attention again, you can continue development for other things that were unfinished or completely just to wrap those unfinished projects up so it was suitable for play.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do.