Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Nemo
StrykerTFFD will become famous soon enough
Top Priorities For Classic

So I didn't hijack the other thread I felt like making my own. I'm interested in seeing what everyone feels the top three priorities for Classic are. Feel free to post more, but I want to see if there's any agreement between the players so that we can give the Dev team a direction.

Try to be specific. Saying "Number one is to fix the player count", well yeah that's obvious, how? I can't make promises that this will work but who knows.

Since the thread is already going south..:

Post your top three then post about any disagreements you have with other people's top three. I don't mind discussion but I shouldn't have to read a post twice to figure out there's a list somewhere within it.

Last edited by StrykerTFFD; 02-25-2009 at 01:54 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
#1 More GP's (in b4 Mystic)
Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Nemo
StrykerTFFD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
#1 More GP's (in b4 Mystic)
Expected, thanks for not being productive and predictable.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerTFFD View Post
Expected, thanks for not being productive and predictable.
You predicted that I was going to post that?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Graalian Stallion
Deophite18 is just really niceDeophite18 is just really nice
#1 Default HD (Only possible if you start from scratch. If this doesn't happen then something that emulates it.)

#2 Old overworld pre npc-server days. Can expand upon it after it gets to that point. Otherwise change the name of the server because it's not "Classic"

#3 New Event System. One that doesn't just rely on commands the GC's use but NPC's to help speed things up so they don't take forever when hosting. The way it is now, is outdated as hell.

I placed these in order of priority (My opinion). I knew classic would end up this way, and I don't even know how many times i pleaded with MS to stay away from the HD/movement when we first got a NPC Server. All I wanted was for him to convert the old content and then expand. He had other plans and unfortunately 4 years have been wasted and we are left with the pathetic excuse for "classic" we have now, It's pitiful. He has since realized his mistakes however and apologized. You can say quests are what matter all you want but that's incorrect. Hit Detection and Movement should come first. People Spar and PK more than anything else and with the way it is now its a huge turnoff.

The overworld should come next. I see people talk about how we have to change and adapt in order to attract new players. But what about all the old ones? They continued to play it for so many years because they loved this specific server, and now look at it. How many familiar faces are still around? It isn't because they ALL had other things to do. It's because the server went to ****. We don't need a entirely new overworld to attract new players. We can get a lot of the old playerbase back and attract new players with a expanded version of old classic.

I know most of this is unrealistic, but honestly it's the only real way to get classic back to how it was pre npc-server.
Zting Ğarkmåne (Game Coordinator) (9/23/2004 10:06:44 PM):
Mass message:
Deophite won the Team MES and a big ol' sack of tickets. For people who
think Deo's pretty much good at everything, we discovered his archilles heel.
He sucks at tic tac toe. Go forth, exploit his weakness. Bring him to his knees.
-Sting
Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deophite18 View Post
#3 New Event System. One that doesn't just rely on commands the GC's use but NPC's to help speed things up so they don't take forever when hosting. The way it is now, is outdated as hell.
Most importantly of all, something to get rid of the IDIOTIC mass messages. I've never seen anything more annoying in any game, ever.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Well you have every GC on ignore so it doesn't matter right?

No, don't introduce some bull**** events system related to UN. You would get even more annoyed....

My suggestions:
Redone Supernicks to replicate a functioning spar similar to Exodus spar. Why do this? Because Supernick's isn't serving a purpose rather than be a landmark. It's in a more centralized location. I've explained in the other thread anyways.

A few more quests. They don't have to be as thorough as sardons or gnome quest but some nice quests for a cool NPC

Converting the old overworld wouldn't be as productive as just producing innovative/remade content in my opinion.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Well you have every GC on ignore so it doesn't matter right?
lmao, on the client, yes, but unfortunately I can't do this on RC. I can't even tell if someone has PMed me without going through 2-3 pointless GC messages first. It's very irritating. I also don't LIKE to have all of you ignored, as you wouldn't be if it weren't for the mass messages.

Quote:
No, don't introduce some bull**** events system related to UN. You would get even more annoyed....
Obviously if I were the one that did it, I wouldn't make something that'd annoy myself. I highly doubt myself or anyone else will be doing anything though.

I didn't really say what I did with any expectation of anyone making anything, it was more out of annoyance. It would definitely be welcome, for me at least. Also, keep in mind that it doesn't have to be like some other server's system.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
I really hope this doesnt turn into a thread about "PLS BRING BACK OLD OVERWORLD/LEVELS/NPCS/ETC."

You aren't going to find many people that are going to convert every single old overworld level to meet NPC server standards. You'll get a lot of people that say they will, and that they're for it, but they won't actually do it. It's tedious and thankless work that allows for no creativity or expression.

Even if you got some superhuman team that endured through and converted the old stuff, it would take probably around 1-2 years to do. Welcome to 2010, we successfully brought back 2004. It's like the last time they brought G2K1 back but worse. What happened there? It spiked to 200 players and then completely collapsed to 0 and died in under a weeks time.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
1) A use for tickets + gelats. Either find a way for players to spend everything they have, or just wipe it clean. Then make some useful npcs that are purchased with tickets.

2) A use for guilds. Guilds activity has gone down hill on classic for a while now. Guild wars don't occur anymore; if they do, it's more of a matter of who's members stayed online the longest, rather than anyone actually "winning". Make a way for guilds to actually win a war, such as capturing the guildforts and holding for X time, and a reward for doing so.

3) Content/activities in between events. GCs + events are the lifeblood of classic. Sad, but true. However GCs either cannot or simply don't host all the time. Thus people spend a lot of time idling/chatting. Many people log off classic for other servers if events aren't going on. Although the mini game system, fishing, and bowling were all nice attempts, they haven't filled the void. I don't know what could work really, but we need something to do in between events.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
it's more of a matter of who's members stayed online the longest, rather than anyone actually "winning".
That is always how it worked.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Graalian Stallion
Deophite18 is just really niceDeophite18 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
I really hope this doesnt turn into a thread about "PLS BRING BACK OLD OVERWORLD/LEVELS/NPCS/ETC."

You aren't going to find many people that are going to convert every single old overworld level to meet NPC server standards. You'll get a lot of people that say they will, and that they're for it, but they won't actually do it. It's tedious and thankless work that allows for no creativity or expression.

Even if you got some superhuman team that endured through and converted the old stuff, it would take probably around 1-2 years to do. Welcome to 2010, we successfully brought back 2004. It's like the last time they brought G2K1 back but worse. What happened there? It spiked to 200 players and then completely collapsed to 0 and died in under a weeks time.
I said it was unrealistic, and I honestly don't expect it to happen. But I also said it was really the only way to get classic back on it's feet. No offense, but If you want to show off your creativity and expression, then you should be doing work on another server. We are in this mess because someone wanted to show off their creativity and expression in the first place. OR simply endure it and do uncreative work for classic to build it up to what it once was, and THEN you can make new things to show off your creativity and expression all you want. Otherwise, like I said change the name of the server. Because if people are going to keep calling this server "Classic" after they change it so drastically it doesn't resemble it in the least, then that's insulting
Zting Ğarkmåne (Game Coordinator) (9/23/2004 10:06:44 PM):
Mass message:
Deophite won the Team MES and a big ol' sack of tickets. For people who
think Deo's pretty much good at everything, we discovered his archilles heel.
He sucks at tic tac toe. Go forth, exploit his weakness. Bring him to his knees.
-Sting
Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
#1. Movement / Hit Detection (I'm not even sure if default is what we need, maybe a more functional version of what we have now).

#2. Player Interaction - the only time I see players interacting is when an event is being held. When there isn't... well lets say I've had better talks with the NPC Server. Rufus suggested something like this already in another thread; Graal is a MMO, why is it that all these minigames are single player only (bowling, Com013's minigame system, etc). From there make some quests require a partner to progress through it. Build memories for the newbies who log on. A player would be far more attached to the server if they have a memory of a quest they did with a friend or doing something with a friend in general.

#3. Quests/Content - A player logs in and does the quests (the three of them) in one shot. Now they're out to explore and find literally nothing to do (other than grinding in the bowling alleys) outside of PKing (not much of this anymore) and events. The player spends 4 hours online and they've done everything there is to be done on Classic. There needs to be a surge in content for what a player can do when they login for the first time. Quests first, places to explore second, and multiplayer minigames third. Again, time to create some memories!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 AM
GREATEST
Ares is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deophite18 View Post
#1 Default HD (Only possible if you start from scratch. If this doesn't happen then something that emulates it.)
amen
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
1) Upload the old overworld (preferably pre-heras) - begin with the main areas (Graal City, the swamp, Graal Castle) and add a new converted town/area every few months.
Find a place for the decent new content without getting rid of old important locations.

2) Get rid of the low AP restrictions and reset the kills count. Also, take care of the current system which doesn't allow players with gold names and fellow guild members to be harmed by NPCs.

3) If/once the player count increases to a sufficient level disband the FAQ team for the sake of encouraging player-to-player interaction.

Last edited by Minoc; 02-25-2009 at 10:26 AM..