Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
What is with the modern...seriously.

Ok, first off to make it clear, I am not here to bash on modern servers.

I just have one question for those of you who own/are in the midst of making a 'modern' server. Why?

Why does graal need more 'moder' style servers? And I dont mean just modern, I mean gun servers. Servers where the main goal is to shoot people for no apparent reason what so ever.

There are just too many...I log on a dev server I havnt seen before, and am greeted with a lovely modern tileset, and usually a movement system that has far too many bugs to even be functional.

I have also logged into dev servers that had nothing, and curiuos to know what their plans were, I ask the owner, "What type of server will this be?".

To my (not) surprise, just about all of them reply, 'modern'.

I have actually had someone respond back to me saying, 'modern, like utopia, or graal ghetto'.

If your aspiring to make your server like graal ghetto, you need to get a new plan. Seriously.

So, my question to you, fellow grallians...why modern? Why so much modern.
There are so many things you can do with graal, but everyone wants to take the exact same ideas and rehash them over and over until everyone is just so sick of it they just assume your server is crap if its modern (even if its not).

So, why not come up with your own ideas? Even if you decide to do a 'modern' server, why not new ideas? You dont need to have the same ideas as every other modern server.

I for one, am actually sick of seeing modern servers popping up...and they are popping up more and more at an increasing rate. -_-

Just wanted to state some of my opinions, and see what everyone else thinks on the issue.
I know other threads have been made similar to this one...but I want a direct answer. Why does modern appeal to so many new owners of dev servers?

Is it easiest to find scripters for? Is it easiest to gfx? What is it?

Thats all I got to say. If you did read this, thanks for taking your time. ;]

Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Most of these scrubs just copy Era, they weren't around when Bravo Evolved had a take at modern. That was pretty good in it's time and since Graal hasn't progressed at all it's still good. Just a shame they didn't have a direction to take it to.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:41 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
it seems people have an easier time playing modern servers than they do classic ones. from a player stand point, killing people is way easier on a modern server, it's a popular server-type that has a community behind it, and a lot of developers i have met or seen working on things have come from either a GK/zodiac background, or era. there aren't a lot of developers left who enjoy classic-graal, and if they are around, they aren't making anything
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
  1. Is it easiest to find scripters for?
  2. Is it easiest to gfx?
these two.
and i think alot of tiles are stolen between the servers...
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 07-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas_Voice View Post
these two.
and i think alot of tiles are stolen between the servers...
Quite a lot of modern tiles are in 'free tiles' thread but yeah they steal each others.

And anyway, it may be easier to GFX stuff in some way, depends if you want a nice result or just a bunch of icons and ganis to screw with.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Lets look at it from this stand point. Now, I am a baseball player, so this is easy for me to understand if I put it into terms like these. If you are a server on the classic tab, or even the gold tab, you are a major league server. Those on the hosted would be AAA. Those are servers with great content, and a promising future. Now, to the UC/Dev servers. There is a big drop off from AAA, it goes straight to the slums of some battered old city. Things being stolen, not enough people to field a great team. Your team "sucks" in comparison to the major league servers. However, that doesn't mean there isn't talent, you will find that some of the best players "ideas in this case" are found in these slums. Although they might not have the will power, nor the support, they still have a plan. Such as Mr. Connel plans to become a dentist, or Louise from your bake shop plans on swimming the English channel. No matter what slum you are in, everything is the same besides the players. "ideas as I said earlier". Although major league servers have good ideas, the only reason they are in the majors is because they have the managers to actually put that player into play.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
There are clones of everything all the time. When Classic was the only server around, people couldn't think beyond making a server like Classic but better. G2k1 came around and everyone wanted jobs on their servers, and draisines, and mining, and bomies. Then someone started working on an RPG server, and then there's tons of RPG servers. Same with modern--Era came around. Everyone always thinks they can take a genre already there and do it better. Modern just seems to be the latest fad that everyone is stuck in. I'm guessing when another genre gets to the top of the serverlist, that'll probably be the new thing to copy.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Because they can
Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Dark_Zeratul101 is on a distinguished road
They don't just copy, they STEAL from them. It really riles me up when they copy my gun ganis, ESPECIALLY the Desert Raven. I'm especially look at you, Hato.
But in the end it doesn't really matter, they all DIE.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
we should encourage it. these kids that pay for servers to make their own Era rip off server are giving Graal the money it needs to stay alive. we all know that none of these rip off servers will ever be successful, so just leave them alone and let them do what they wish.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
All modern servers are so bleh. The grittyness looks like crap in Graal and most tilesets are all probably using the same gray-on-gray palette from Era. So bland.

Only good modern/gun server was Shangri-la.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 AM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Modern just seems to be the latest fad that everyone is stuck in. I'm guessing when another genre gets to the top of the serverlist, that'll probably be the new thing to copy.
Yes, shooters and RPGs seems to be the funnest games in general, as well.
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Yes, shooters and RPGs seems to be the funnest games in general, as well.
The overwhelming majority of players are male, so this was bound to happen anyway.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM
i can haz gold plz
Dumdumdidi will become famous soon enough
Well, if anyone can do something more user/player friendly than era, why not?
Tho i wish modern servers have a more unique touch to them.