Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Coder
Gunderak is on a distinguished road
GS2 Guide

First off, I know there are probably better ones out there, but this isn't completed yet anyway.
Just letting you all know, I am working on a GS2 Guide even though myself I am still learning bits and pieces.
I will hopefully be adding to it every second day if not daily.
Here is the link http://graalscript2.99k.org/
The reason why I decided to make this is quite simple.
A lot of players including myself when they first scripting start don't like reading huge pages on information jammed together.
So I decided to try and make mine as Understandable and Uncluttered as possible.
I have also achieved the uncluttered part by what I think is a simple user friendly interface.
PS: If you couldn't be bothered to read the About page properly, to navigate click the Index image.

Gund for president.

Remote PM {P*}x (Graal813044) from eraiphone -> Stefan: I hav 1 qustion
*Gunderak: he hav 1
*Gunderak: qustion
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
It's nice and all that you're trying to contribute to the community, and don't get me wrong it's a nice idea. But, like many other learning scripters (me being one of them), the guide might be a little bit off and dodgy as far as information is concerned since you haven't been scripting that long. I would also like to take a crack at making a cool guide for others to learn from, but I feel that I don't know enough about it to make one yet. Also, the design of the web page isn't very vibrant and it makes the text easy to read. The font you're using is Times new Roman, and that also makes the page look a bit dodgy since the back of the page looks more high-tech. It's a nice idea though! Try and have a look at these pages for some hints and tips I've found useful in the past.

www.w3schools.com
www.killersites.com
www.tripwiremagazine.com
Old 12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Coder
Well I plan to add things as I learn more.
So then others can lean aswell.
As for the design, the site is purely based on one file, index.html.
It is still in "beta" and I am going to tweak the UI of it based on feedback.
As for the font, can you reccomend any trendy high tech looking ones to use?

Gund for president.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunderak View Post
Well I plan to add things as I learn more.
So then others can lean aswell.
As for the design, the site is purely based on one file, index.html.
It is still in "beta" and I am going to tweak the UI of it based on feedback.
As for the font, can you reccomend any trendy high tech looking ones to use?
I could quickly knock up a better design for you in gedit if you want? For the font, even the simple Arial would be better than that.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
I really don't think you're qualified or have enough experience to attempt to teach others GS2.

Your website and navigation is absolute ****, your navigation links don't even work. Why even have it drop down, there's nothing below it to begin with.

You mention how it's uncluttered and understandable when you can barely even make your posts meet those criteria.

You barely even teach them anything at all. Here's the other pages for those interested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basics
Difference between ServerSide and ClientSide
This is probably one of the most important things to consider when scripting anything.
How it works is quite simple but learning what is ServerSide only or what is ClientSide only can be hard for some people. Anything above //#CLIENTSIDE in any script is considered ServerSide Anything below it is considered ClientSide

Some ServerSide Only Things
Say you want to add a weapon to a player, you'd generally do something like this. findplayer("Account").addweapon(name); this function is ServerSide only, meaning it must be above //#CLIENTSIDE

Things That Can Be Changed ClientSide
player.x, player.y, player.chat can all be changed ClientSide. Meaning underneath the //#CLIENTSIDE I talked about.

Extra
For an example, if you do something like this in a script.

This won't work because player.alpha along with a few other's like player.rotation are completly different and need to be changed via a gani, but I will get to that at a later date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addition
The Weapon
Make a new weapon, click the weapon button, click add, name it something. In the weapon script put this in it.

Next return to your Graal window and write /add FirstNumber SecondNumber
If you followed correctly if you press F2 it should have echoed Sum: Answer

How It Works?
Well to start off the script just adds the weapon to yourself. Then it checks if you write /add and if you do it tokenizes you're chat and gets each piece depending on where you put a space. It gets the first and second numbers to add together and then makes a temporary variable named output and then echo's it.
Worry about yourself and becoming adept at scripting because right now you're the last person who should be attempting to teach anyone anything, you're just going to mislead them.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
The Truth
I was trying to put it nicely, but dude that's exactly what I meant.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
I like Fowlplay's guide better, it's both more straight to the point and better worded. I understand it's good practice to teach others to enforce your own understanding on the subject but alot more thought should've gone into this. This guide touches on the distinction between server and client side but it hardly even pierces it, you just give a few examples. Perhaps it would be better if you talked more about why you would use serverside as opposed to clientside.

Also....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basics
Extra
For an example, if you do something like this in a script.

This won't work because player.alpha along with a few other's like player.rotation are completely different and need to be changed via a gani, but I will get to that at a later date.
You're basically lieing here, I was playing around with things the other night and I managed to manipulate player.rotation via script on the clientside not in a gani(it's only if you want it to be seen serverside that a gani is necessary).

Imo you should take your website down to avoid confusing new-comers. Fowlplay's guide is enough to help people understand the basics of GS2.

Just my 2 cents worth though...

Last edited by Tricxta; 12-14-2011 at 12:16 AM..
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
I sob.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Kavan
iBeatz will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to iBeatz
In my opinion, as a guide for beginners to GS2, you don't really start with the basics here, Gunderak. Instead, you jump straight into more complex ideas and features which are harder to grasp for those without a basic knowledge of GS2.

Try to slow it down a bit.

Intelligence without ambition is like a bird without wings.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Coder
Well regardless of what some people may think, I'm leaving it up and will try to make it better as time goes by.
The reason behind this is that I would like to help people learn such as a few of my friends who are getting bored of being a LAT on Dev servers.
I will work on the UI as some people don't like it aswell.
@Emera I don't see why the font would need to be changed as it is just something simple.
@Fowlplay the links do work, they open inside the iFrame.

Gund for president.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Well regardless of what some people may think, I'm leaving it up and will try to make it better as time goes by.
And Fowlplay the links do work, they open inside the iFrame.
Then understand that I will continue to criticize each update as you make it aware.

On both IE9 and Opera they changed the window content to 'filename.html'. It's broken.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Coder
Internet Explorer, really? O_O
Well anyway that aside as I find problems by users giving feedback I will improve it.
The user interface I think il just remove the hide and show effect of the index.
That will solve a few problems.

You are quite welcome to criticize al you want, as long as its constructive criticism.
If it isn't then I'll just ignore it

And tricxta of course you can modify it clientside but that's kinda useless. you even said so youreself when you said it won't be seen serverside. so what's the point of it if its not shown serverside?

Gund for president.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 AM
penguin.
Tolnaftate2004 is a jewel in the roughTolnaftate2004 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Tolnaftate2004
Quote:
Internet Explorer, really? O_O
It's also broken on FF9 (although I think "javascript:..." links were removed in FF7 or 8).

You might also consider Twitter Bootstrap and reading A List Apart to help with the aesthetics of your trainwreck.

Killa Be: when i got that locker in 6th grade the only thing in it was a picture of a midget useing a firehose :/
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Don't use frames anyways, use php's include/reload or something.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 AM
penguin.
Tolnaftate2004 is a jewel in the roughTolnaftate2004 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Tolnaftate2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Don't use frames anyways, use php's include/reload or something.
Or AJAX to retain that "refresh-less" structure.

Killa Be: when i got that locker in 6th grade the only thing in it was a picture of a midget useing a firehose :/