Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Classic Developer
Grey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
wouldn't the server not lag once the player downloads all of the images (for instance, as soon as they log on) so that everything is already there? i mean yes, you could just use a wider arrangement of tiles in a (or several) tileset(s), but it's essentially doing the same thing
If it was a map with lots of images that would take some time to download but you're right, once they have everything it'd be fine, but they would also have to redownload the image for any minor edits levels also. Have to also consider people with slower connections who are going to be stuck there waiting if an entire maps worth of images are being downloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I still don't think it would be that taxing. Maybe for a huge GMAP of these images, but meh... I can't imagine it being too bad.
For one player I don't think it would be taxing but in the worst case scenario, where the server is hugely popular, there are lots of regular players and guests downloading/redownloading these files regularly.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
I think crystia tried this at some point of time. No idea if they followed this path further.

The whole thing shows a big problem on graal:

The scripting engine is being updated regularly, while things like multi-layer or other methods to create better, more interactive and spectacular levels, were never introduced.
But it's no news that the focus of stefans and unixmads work have hurt graal in the last years.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
When I worked on Final Fantasy Fate 4 or so years ago all of their levels were images, I think the only tiles that existed were the outside images. There was a huge problem though. When I was a LAT there and I added their images they wouldn't show up, DDKUK the owner had to send me all of the images so I could LAT this was like 300+ images just so I can make one level.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I always thought about using images for prerendered backgrounds though. Problem is that only works best when you control the resolution and such. Graal also doesn't have very good(actually nil) support for things like masking, which I imagine are often used for 'wall maps' of the area. Though I'm sure this could be easily done level-wise by simply making a mask of the walls and making it block, while having the rest of the images not block...
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild8900 View Post
lol "flying technology"?
Don't you have hair to comb, mascara to apply, or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I think he meant the actual downloading of so many large images, the actual bandwidth and such.
We did a decent sized GMAP and, if I recall correctly, it accounted for less than 1MB of images
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I always thought about using images for prerendered backgrounds though. Problem is that only works best when you control the resolution and such. Graal also doesn't have very good(actually nil) for things like masking, which I imagine are often used for 'wall maps' of the area. Though I'm sure this could be easily done level-wise by simply making a mask of the walls and making it block, while having the rest of the images not block...
One of the main reasons I've ended up using "level images" is because Graal's light engine is ****.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Quote:
i was wondering if anyone has considering making an overworld where all the levels are a collection of graphics. i mean that the level functionality is covered by an image which the player walks over. instead of using a tile set, the overworld just uses images

i know gate made a castle on npulse this way, and it turned out looking really well, especially since he could add small details to unique places, which with tilesets would make them all look the same. it also tends to make making levels easier, since tile errors don't matter anymore - the image will cover them up. so long as the tiles are in the right place to block the player and what-not, the image takes care of the rest

has it ever been done?
It'd probably be really laggy.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
It'd probably be really laggy.
Why do you think so?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
I'm not sure about other people but any level with a lot of NPCs is a lag fest to me.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
I'm not sure about other people but any level with a lot of NPCs is a lag fest to me.
i never said anything about NPCs
Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
Quote:
i never said anything about NPCs
You would need (an) NPC(s) to display the image(s) though.

It really depends on how you do it though. It's better with one big compressed image then many small images. For example, don't build a building out of many small 16x16 / 32x32 images as the quantity might cause lag on low-end computers. And, try to stay away from animated images, as they clog up even faster.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
you could do the whole level as one image which would mean you would only download one npc per level and it wouldn't be a lag fest

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
you could do the whole level as one image which would mean you would only download one npc per level and it wouldn't be a lag fest
that is what i am talking about
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
I think Chris or Tig could elaborate on it better, but we had to break our images into sections of 512x512 (or, for some reason, the image wouldn't display if it was outside of a certain area of your screen).
Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Ya, Graal does have some pretty inaccurate clipping.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
My concern would be with blocking and non-blocking objects.