Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Bug Report
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 11:33 PM
tempandrew is on a distinguished road
Level 3 Shield Bug

At Babylon we've discovered some kind of bug with the level 3 shield. We're 99.99% positive it's not a script on the server, but a bug in the actual game core. Feel free to test it on other servers to confirm it's not Babylon-exclusive.

Basically, the bug is that if you have level 3 shield, which as we all know, increases movement speed, when you hit a wall at about x = 15, y independent, you will move through that 1 tile of wall. It happens in any level, any tile type, as long as the x is right. It's also been seen at x = 1.5 too. GMaps don't seem to change this, so the x location is level-based, not gmap based.

Anyway, we're hoping this can be fixed considering it happens in quite a bit of locations that kind of messes with the game.

EDIT: I went on N-Pulse and it worked at 1.5 and 15 on there as well.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Old and known. I've been confronting Stefan with that one ever since the release of v4.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Old and known. I've been confronting Stefan with that one ever since the release of v4.
Figures. A major bug in the core of graal that doesn't get fixed. I guess walking through walls isn't considered a big problem in the world of Graal. Thanks for making sure I don't waste my time.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Wall detection was improved in v3 and server owners whined. Why? Because they designed overworlds revolved around sliding through cracks of tiles and other stupid things and were too lazy to go around and fix them. So eventually Stefan removed the better wall detection to stop server owners from having a heart-attack.

He should probably revisit it and tell everyone who whines to shut the **** up and actually put some effort into their servers for a change and fix things that shouldn't have been done from the start.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Speaking of player movement speed, I'm fairly sure Stefan added/was adding a variable you could change to alter the players speed with v6.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, maxed at speed of 1.
I think it's: player.defaultwalkspeed or something long like that.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
He should probably revisit it and tell everyone who whines to shut the **** up and actually put some effort into their servers for a change and fix things that shouldn't have been done from the start.
I'm going to agree with this. It's not that big of a deal for server owners to actually put some effort in and work with the better detection rather than fight it.
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
I like the corner-sliding-over-tiles thing, though.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Why not use a serveroption set to true to use new movement? That way servers who whine can revert to old movement whilst new servers can utilize the power of the new system. This sounds like the most logical compromise for both parties.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
I'm going to agree with this. It's not that big of a deal for server owners to actually put some effort in and work with the better detection rather than fight it.
You're right, I should have to clean up after the bugs that Graal's core coding has.

In fact, I should script a completely new language and have my server use it.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempandrew View Post
In fact, I should script a completely new language and have my server use it.
The hell does this have to do with anything?

The point is that Graal wall detection is broken... but level designers made stupid decisions when creating levels that incooperated sliding through cracks of tiles as part of 'normal' navigation. They shouldn't have. Stefan fixed the ability to slide through tiles and suddenly everyone was up in arms because their overworld was now 'broken'. This should have been something that was avoided in the first place, and even so, they should have went around their overworld and fixed those bugs instead of complaining about the improvements.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
The hell does this have to do with anything?

The point is that Graal wall detection is broken... but level designers made stupid decisions when creating levels that incooperated sliding through cracks of tiles as part of 'normal' navigation. They shouldn't have. Stefan fixed the ability to slide through tiles and suddenly everyone was up in arms because their overworld was now 'broken'. This should have been something that was avoided in the first place, and even so, they should have went around their overworld and fixed those bugs instead of complaining about the improvements.
At least that sliding thing is an okayish bug. It is not as annoying as you slipping through tiles due to them being placed at a certain position.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
At least that sliding thing is an okayish bug. It is not as annoying as you slipping through tiles due to them being placed at a certain position.
Depends :P I had to use quite a many setshapes on my overworld to stop players from sliding through cracks to areas I didn't want them to. Regardless, I agree. However, people shouldn't have complained long ago when it was fixed(though I don't know if this particular bug is fixed).

This is an odd bug though, and makes me wonder exactly how default movement and detection is being accomplished... It's not exactly a rare bug though, as it's been around for a LONG time. There are also other wall detection bugs that involve walking along a wall and pressing down or something and being able to be lodged in the wall. Random things like this. I think it's time for an upgrade again!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
It's not that people are really getting through to places where they shouldn't, it just looks ugly that people can jump onto walls. Every time I see this, I have to open the level, shift everything a tile over. I shouldn't have to incorporate more scripts which can make more lag to fix a problem that Stefan should be fixing himself.

This is the problem with charging money for Graal. If you're going to charge money for a game, you should be prepared to be on top of **** like this.

And as far as how this bug actually came to be, I'm guessing movement has been made more float based, so people are probably moving at something slightly above 1 tile at a time (maybe like 1.001), so perhaps that tiny float value eventually adds up, and at x=15 and x=1.5, the onwall detection (which, if you're even 1 pixel on a tile, you can walk over it) fails and you can get through it.