Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2005, 03:25 AM
dark overlord
Lance is on a distinguished road
Official Graal2001 Detailing Contest (Round 1)

As some of you may know, Graal2001 contains a few small, boring areas - small areas that are horribly underdetailed and nowhere near the quality of the rest of the server. For example, take a look at the the pathway from the Stefan Quest to the northern entrance of the slums. It starts off looking nice on the left side, but then suddenly drops to nothing in the way of detail. In an attempt to lighten the load of our level makers and to encourage community involvement with Graal2001, we've decided to hold an open contest to help detail some of these areas.

There will be a few rounds to this contest. Each round will feature a different area of Graal2001 that could use a bit of detailing. There will be a time limit to each round. Submissions should be sent as an attachment in an email to [email protected] that includes your account name and the round number. Once this time has elapsed, the submissions will be judged and the winner's improvements will be featured on Graal2001. There will also be some small Graal2001 prize(s) awarded to the winner (and maybe a runner-up, too) of each round.

The first round's area is the aforementioned path. The levels are in this arrangement:
NPC Code:
                worldw-08.nw -> worldx-08.nw -> worldy-08.nw
worldv-09.nw -> worldw-09.nw

worldv-09.nw is included so you can see what the nearby detailing is like. Please take special care to make a smooth transition between the levels.

The time limit for Round 1 is one week. Submissions for Round 1 are due at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time), November 13, 2005. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip slumspathtiles.zip (7.0 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by Lance; 11-07-2005 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 11-07-2005, 04:03 AM
:o
Mykel has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mykel Send a message via MSN to Mykel
I've been almost as critical of you as anyone has in the past, but nice job Lance.

[edit]
Oh, and what the hell is snowflake day?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:44 AM
Zxion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykel
I've been almost as critical of you as anyone has in the past, but nice job Lance.

[edit]
Oh, and what the hell is snowflake day?
http://www.tv.com/clone-high-usa/sho...ode_guide.html

Search for the Snowflake Day episode...does that mean it's Jan. 26th?? (the day it aired is Jan. 26th... Maybe I should watch the episode? Tis a mystery that I'll try to figure out...)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Great! I love the idea

Goodluck to everyone who does the levels , I might do a few if people arn't interested
Old 11-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Level Designer
Aknts will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Aknts
So its a contest and all the winner gets is to have their levels featured on an official Graal Online supported server? What if we already have are levels on the server?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like a good idea to me, this way you guys don't have to do that much work and get stuff done, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknts
So its a contest and all the winner gets is to have their levels featured on an official Graal Online supported server? What if we already have are levels on the server?
Is that a "Can I participate in this contest even though I already have levels on Graal 2001?" question or just a "That's all?" one?
My guess is this is mostly for people who
1. want to help Graal 2001, or
2. kept complaining about nothing happening on 2k1.

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Level Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
Sounds like a good idea to me, this way you guys don't have to do that much work and get stuff done, good luck.

Is that a "Can I participate in this contest even though I already have levels on Graal 2001?" question or just a "That's all?" one?
My guess is this is mostly for people who
1. want to help Graal 2001, or
2. kept complaining about nothing happening on 2k1.

It's a "That's all?" one. I think you answered it by your guesses. Just seems to me that they are getting free work out of people by doing this "contest".
Old 11-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
Can "snowflake day" be translated into an actual date (by Lance).
I am interested in G2001's release date, in the form of a normal date - not a cryptic clue.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:41 PM
call me Chad, it's cooler
Dach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's a "That's all?" one. I think you answered it by your guesses. Just seems to me that they are getting free work out of people by doing this "contest".
If you're too important to help out, don't post here.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Level Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dach
If you're too important to help out, don't post here.

So you are determining who is allowed to post on these boards? I am allowed to post my opinion on this matter. Also I am too important. I am working on Versus, which is by far the best level detailed server ever made. Plus it has many things scripted and graphically done that well haven't really been incorporated into Graal as of yet.

I really wasn't trying to be mean at all with my above statements. I was just trying to say that when you do a contest you offer more then a tiny prize on the server. Throw in some money for the winner. You would have lots of people entering it.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
I might try doing this, if I have the time.
Good luck to all who participate
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Well, better than "Hai guys, make me levels plz?". Yes, contest might not be the right name for it, yet the background is that people can show off the things they make and the work on Graal 2001 will progress faster.
Don't come with "there are enugh hidden playerworlds they can become staff on", Graal 2001 is a bit more official.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Level Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
Don't come with "there are enugh hidden playerworlds they can become staff on", Graal 2001 is a bit more official.
I don't understand this statement right here..? I am lost. What do you mean by it and how does that pertain to what I said?

You are right about contest being the wrong name for it. Basically it is just working for the server for only a couple levels. It's like me going:
"Hey guys I got this kick ass server but I don't want to give all my LAT's a hard load of work to do some I am doing a contest. Here is 5 levels, I want all you people to make them your style and I will pick the best and that will be featured on the server! P.S. Winners will get a small prize maybe a hat."

It would be better just to hire a detailer for the server. There is people out there who are really good at detail but thats it. Get them.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Quote:
I don't understand this statement right here..? I am lost. What do you mean by it and how does that pertain to what I said?
I said people can show off their stuff on a big server..?

Quote:
You are right about contest being the wrong name for it. Basically it is just working for the server for only a couple levels. It's like me going:
"Hey guys I got this kick ass server but I don't want to give all my LAT's a hard load of work to do some I am doing a contest. Here is 5 levels, I want all you people to make them your style and I will pick the best and that will be featured on the server! P.S. Winners will get a small prize maybe a hat."
It would be better just to hire a detailer for the server. There is people out there who are really good at detail but thats it. Get them.
Graal 2001 isn't some server, and you should know what happens when you hire people, they do a few levels, get lazy/don't have time anymore, and leave.

If people think like you, no one will send him any good levels, if they don't, they will. "Justice" is quite easily served here.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Level Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
I said people can show off their stuff on a big server..?

Graal 2001 isn't some server, and you should know what happens when you hire people, they do a few levels, get lazy/don't have time anymore, and leave.

If people think like you, no one will send him any good levels, if they don't, they will. "Justice" is quite easily served here.
Graal2001 is some server. It's not what it was. There is more people on Graal right now that don't remember Graal2001 then there is who do. Also I don't know what you mean. Everytime I have been associated with a server there has been dedicated staff. See if people work for a server the server has to offer them something or appeal to them.

Let me give you an example. I am working for Versus previous to this I would not work on a server unless I had almost all rights possible on RC. Thats because the servers didn't appeal to me. Versus on the other hand appeals to me alot! I know that this is going to be big and I want to be apart of that.

So you have to offer people something if you want good work from them.