FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
Yes, I know, his reasoning is that hes back and ready to go now, and to forget the past because this is Storm 2.0.
i dont think storm 2.0 is better than the 1.0
Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
i dont think storm 2.0 is better than the 1.0
I have my doubts because of his track record.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
by the way storm , i know that wasnt your idea but having serverside hd back is just like flying back in the past. nothing changed and got the old same hd. why not move it back in the us where everyone liked it. cant you do anything to fix that?
I personally can't change where the server is, though I can make a request to Stefan that we get moved (it's then up to him if we actually get moved or not).

It's questionable that moving the server will actually have any benefit though. The server population is approximately split 50/50 between America and Europe, so moving it to one or the other is always going to disadvantage half the player base. Whenever the server has moved in the past we've ended up losing a chunk of players (from the side that becomes disadvantaged), so to me it makes sense to move it as little as possible.

Regarding serverside hit detection being back in events, I gave it the go ahead by way of helping to get the code up and running, but I've made it clear to those involved that having 2 separated systems on the server isn't an ideal situation and will hopefully only be a short term solution. I intend to make a more detailed post on the hit detection situation later today.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
The server population is approximately split 50/50 between America and Europe
Can you get a poll up in the poll house today regarding people's continents? I'd like to see if this is accurate. Part of me realizes that there is a large European playerbase on Classic at current, but at the same time there is also a large American playerbase. The current playerbase doesn't entirely reflect the potential playerbase, but I'd like to see the results anyway based on curiosity.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Can you get a poll up in the poll house today regarding people's continents? I'd like to see if this is accurate. Part of me realizes that there is a large European playerbase on Classic at current, but at the same time there is also a large American playerbase. The current playerbase doesn't entirely reflect the potential playerbase, but I'd like to see the results anyway based on curiosity.
Why? Does this accomplish anything other than to satisfy your personal interest? If you want to see who plays from where log on and do a poll yourself.

Last edited by maximus_asinus; 03-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: forgot to proof read
Old 03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
Why? Does this accomplish anything other than your personal interest? If you want to see who plays from where log on and do a poll yourself.
Wow hahaha, you are really not able to identify what a possible poll regarding player location could possibly show, or is this just an excuse to reply to me?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Wow hahaha, you are really not able to identify what a possible poll regarding player location could possibly show, or is this just an excuse to reply to me?
What your poll will show is that Storm is right and its probably a 50/50 split. No point wasting staff time to verify something that has already been said.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The server population is approximately split 50/50 between America and Europe .
i dont think that true.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Quote:
What your poll will show is that Storm is right and its probably a 50/50 split. No point wasting staff time to verify something that has already been said.
Yes, because we all pull figures out of our ass and base decisions upon that. It also takes an excruciating amount of time and effort to go set a poll, in an already existing poll system, to more accurately represent the data you're assuming.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Yes, because we all pull figures out of our ass and base decisions upon that. It also takes an excruciating amount of time and effort to go set a poll in an already existing poll system to more accurately represent the data you're assuming.
Chances are he isn't pulling anything 'out of his ass'.

The way I see it, the majority of the people in this thread (other than one or two of you) continually try to undermine Storm at every turn. Some of what is said is deserved, but you have Rufus here trying to argue about statistics which are probably valid, for no other reason than to discredit what Storm had to say.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Chances are he isn't pulling anything 'out of his ass'.

The way I see it, the majority of the people in this thread (other than one or two of you) continually try to undermine Storm at every turn. Some of what is said is deserved, but you have Rufus here trying to argue about statistics which are probably valid, for no other reason than to discredit what Storm had to say.
When someone claims a statistic is as good as "pulling [something] out of [someones] ass" it is a metaphor used to convey assumption. "50/50" is hardly an accurate representation any demographic on any game ever -- it's an obvious assumption and many people will feel as though it is inaccurate. "50/50" isn't even a statistic that has been rounded off accurately and in an argument structure, conclusions should not be made entirely from assumptions where statistics can be provided. This is very basic logic here.

I have already stated that my suggestion is out of curiosity (which you've already addressed but are now changing your mind, inconsistencies?) but at the same time it can prove an assumed statement to be a true or false representation. I have simply asked him to do what every other game development team, manager, or even business would do before making decisions based upon geographical locations, and that is research facts. If you believe that research is inappropriate or is a waste of time, you might want to go let the word out to every marketing team in the world, otherwise you're just attempting to argue with me and it is embarrassingly weak.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I personally can't change where the server is, though I can make a request to Stefan that we get moved (it's then up to him if we actually get moved or not).

It's questionable that moving the server will actually have any benefit though. The server population is approximately split 50/50 between America and Europe, so moving it to one or the other is always going to disadvantage half the player base. Whenever the server has moved in the past we've ended up losing a chunk of players (from the side that becomes disadvantaged), so to me it makes sense to move it as little as possible.

Regarding serverside hit detection being back in events, I gave it the go ahead by way of helping to get the code up and running, but I've made it clear to those involved that having 2 separated systems on the server isn't an ideal situation and will hopefully only be a short term solution. I intend to make a more detailed post on the hit detection situation later today.
50/50 playerbase between USA and Europe, or western hemipshere and Eastern hemisphere, seems pretty skewed. I know for a fact in the past year or two, there was a larger percentage of USA players than Europeans. Lately the ratio has fell, partly because of this stupid server move to Europe, causing many players to switch to other servers due to the great disadvantages USA players have now. The only satisfiable way to balance the HD is to replicate default again, and you are very aware of this, but who knows what complaints will arise again with people not being able to hit each other so easily rofl since that will be the same case with default.

As to your previous post, there are very very little times where I have seen you log on Daily. Maybe you've been busy, maybe you haven't. (10 dollars says he gets on his computer at least once a day during leisure time) Your job is not to only oversee what the development and other teams do, you're supposed to be the one proposing ideas to the Dev Team and then allow the Dev Admin to take the project lead from there. You have to oversee Staff (which you normally do), and keep the server updated (which you normally DON'T do) If you don't think you have to give ideas/projects to the dev team or wherever else, then you're pretty dumb as you're the only manager I have seen not do this.

Feel free to reply. This thread was made to get your attention/input.

EDIT: Your ability to script isn't necessary for a Manager, but is generally VERY helpful to the server if a manager themselves can develop. This in particular is why people get mad at you sometimes because you're capable of development yourself.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
When someone claims a statistic is as good as "pulling [something] out of [someones] ass" it is a metaphor used to convey assumption. "50/50" is hardly an accurate representation any demographic on any game ever -- it's an obvious assumption and many people will feel as though it is inaccurate. "50/50" isn't even a statistic that has been rounded off accurately and in an argument structure, conclusions should not be made entirely from assumptions where statistics can be provided. This is very basic logic here.
If you're so big on statistics, could you provide some insight on the demographics for some of the other MMORPGs, because to my knowledge, most (popular) MMORPGs have seperate servers for both Europe and North America (and most don't allow for interaction between the two continents).

As long as I've known Storm (maybe not known, I don't talk to him on a regular basis), he has never once pulled a number out of the air, he has always had some statistic to go on. Maybe it isn't exactly 50/50, but it most likely is something close to. If the average was 80/20, then I could see basis for an arguement.

Quote:
I have already stated that my suggestion is out of curiosity (which you've already addressed but are now changing your mind, inconsistencies?).
I was trying to be polite, as to not outright accuse you of attacking Storm, or trying to discredit him. I guess it was a waste of time since I made the accusation a few posts later.

As for the rest, Storm can't really dictate where the server should be moved to. Stefan has control of that, and he moved it for a reason (not sure on his reasoning, but it was most likely cost).
Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 PM
WaDaFack is an unknown quantity at this point
You people make this so confusing, its as easy as everyone witting there name on a piece of paper and putting in the hat. Bell will than randomly pick a name out of the hat and VOILA! Your new manager!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
I too think the 50/50 is a bit off. I think maybe 60/40 (in favor of US) is more realistic, though still not super accurate. Would a poll get a more accurate number? Yeah. What would an accurate number result in? Not sure. With both numbers being so close, either location for the server will still negatively effect a good chunk of players.

I doubt storm just said 50/50 for the hell of it; I assume that he said 50/50 because its pretty even between the two sides; I don't think he literally meant it was dead even.

Maybe we can all pitch in and buy a boat to sail out to the middle of the Atlantic and put the server there. Then on the playerlist it'll say: npcserver(On a Boat)
Closed Thread