Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Blank
Kirble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kirble
I must admit, it is a pretty dumb move, I mean, it's not as if people can't come up with an account name for themselves, i mean 'Hotmail' hasn't had a move like this and they have thousands of members...It's not like all players on Graal want to go by the name of 'Naruto' or 'Ash Ketchum'.

The new account names, i.e. Graal###### also proves difficult to summon, warp to, jail or add event coins to, trading to the accounts is also a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
It's a circle and we're just at a bad angle.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirble View Post
I must admit, it is a pretty dumb move, I mean, it's not as if people can't come up with an account name for themselves, i mean 'Hotmail' hasn't had a move like this and they have thousands of members...It's not like all players on Graal want to go by the name of 'Naruto' or 'Ash Ketchum'.

The new account names, i.e. Graal###### also proves difficult to summon, warp to, jail or add event coins to, trading to the accounts is also a problem.
Then tell the scripters on such servers to get their asses in gear and make some changes that takes all of 5 seconds. Hotmail doesn't make a move like this because they can't so you can't really use that as your reasoning.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 PM
† Ðяΰм & βâsş †
blazeingonix is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to blazeingonix
I was triyin to make other account and i can't chose the name...
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Blank
Kirble is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kirble
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post
Then tell the scripters on such servers to get their asses in gear and make some changes that takes all of 5 seconds. Hotmail doesn't make a move like this because they can't so you can't really use that as your reasoning.
I was trying to get the point across that unless there is a specific and intelligent reason behind getting the new style of accounts i.e. Graal###### or pcid:###### etc then there would not be a need, if it is just to allow versatility in account names. Also, if it is just to differentiate between trial accounts a payed account, why not have the account names as "chosen account name-Guest"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
It's a circle and we're just at a bad angle.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
On graal... I'm a rebel
KyleNicholson is on a distinguished road
I thought you could change after upgrading. The "community" name.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
† Ðяΰм & βâsş †
blazeingonix is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to blazeingonix
Stefan, can you change that?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned
Knight will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Knight
This update fails so hard... Oh man all I have to say is "Screw ye community names, the old Graal was ye best attempt at success". Well that just about sums it up...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator
unixmad is a name known to allunixmad is a name known to allunixmad is a name known to all
The idea was to allow someone to enter into the game without choosing an account name, it is connected to the activex/plugins system.

We came to this idea become lot of new players never came into the game because of the long process:
- Choose an account name (it was harder and harder)
- Confirm email
- Download graal
- Put account name/password (copy password from email)
- Enter into the game.

The system can probably be improved by pushing players to choose quickly a community name.

It require a little bit more work and organisation for scripters but it is really worst it for getting new players.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Agreed :3
More advertisement would be good too! and make people from graal vote on mmorpg.com for example xP
or other things...

Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad View Post
The idea was to allow someone to enter into the game without choosing an account name, it is connected to the activex/plugins system.

We came to this idea become lot of new players never came into the game because of the long process:
- Choose an account name (it was harder and harder)
- Confirm email
- Download graal
- Put account name/password (copy password from email)
- Enter into the game.

The system can probably be improved by pushing players to choose quickly a community name.

It require a little bit more work and organisation for scripters but it is really worst it for getting new players.
While until recently I thought that community names didn't act like account names, it's partially receiving criticism due to the lack of updates in areas which still handle accounts.

There are some bugs and features with the new community names that need addressing, in order for them to fully be integrated in replacement of account names:
  • RC hasn't been updated and display Graal* accounts on the accounts list instead of the chosen community name.
  • The account files which are storing the account data are stocked with Graal* accounts, instead of the community names. I'm not sure how this issue could be tackled, especially how they'd need to be renamed on every server when a community name is chosen, but for the purposes of organization it causes problems. If someone needs to find an account in the accounts file, they're going to need to know the Graal* account, and it's very hard to distinguish between them. In the future, if there is an increase in accounts being created the Graal* accounts are going to fill one folder, while everyone previously was spread out.
  • A lot of server staff are not aware that the 'findplayerbycommunityname' function even exists and that they need to update the old. To solve this issue, and save a lot of servers having to rescript (which could take a while to do for some) the 'findplayer' function could be changed to act like 'findplayerbycommunityname' which works in the same way as 'findplayer' did, just with the addition to working with community names. In changing the old function, there would be no need for the new one, and it would save a lot of time and work for the servers to integrate community names.
  • When players who have chosen community names are on other servers other than the one you are playing, on the playerlist their accounts are displayed as Graal* accounts, rather than their chosen community name. The profile of the players also displays the Graal* account, but when they log onto the server you're playing on their community replaces both.
  • Warpto on the client needs to be updated, but if 'findplayer' was changed to act like 'findplayerbycommunityname' as mentioned previously, this would probably be fixed.
If these suggestions were implemented, I believe the complaints about the feature would probably cease, as the community names would then be acting as the former account names did. I'm not convinced though that this solves any issue that may have been around, nearly every game (I'd possibly stretch to anything that requires an account name, actually) uses the generic account name register-then-play system. I also think with this new option, an income of money (albeit a small one) will probably be lost. Players register with stupid account names, and when they're more established on the game they usually find the asterisk in front of their nicknames appealing. I have no idea why the asterisk is appealing, but just take a look around Graal. Players then register new accounts, for the simple reason that they initially picked an idiotic name. With the option of picking an account name later, this reason for creating new accounts could be under threat, thus a smaller amount of accounts being created from existing customers making another reason to upgrade being lost. Just a thought.

Last edited by Rufus; 11-10-2007 at 11:24 PM..
Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Shame the above seems to have been ignored...
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Rediculously inactive
Horrified is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Horrified Send a message via AIM to Horrified Send a message via MSN to Horrified Send a message via Yahoo to Horrified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami View Post
Shame the above seems to have been ignored...
It speaks for itself...it explains how Graal would've benefited not having this system, which is genius.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:12 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
It does highly benefit by having the system. The basic idea isnt that bad. The problem is that not all the changes were made. If they were made before and they wouldnt have announced the whole stuff, we would probably not even notice it.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
It does highly benefit by having the system.
I don't see it.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Well, ok, lets just strike that and say its...useful.