Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned
Ducati_Link is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ducati_Link
Sun Location

Could anyone please tell me where the Graals default sun location is? for shadow references.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati_Link View Post
Could anyone please tell me where the Graals default sun location is? for shadow references.

Thanks
I think it's pretty obvious if you look at the cliffs and the shadow they cast.

Strictly speaking though, it's my belief pics1 never used any kind of direct light source....

It's genius.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned
But when you look at it from a house, the shadow is on the side, the tree it's at the front... there is different shadows for different things.. so was just wondering which one was the correct one. My assumption is south west - but I may be wrong.. which is why I'm also asking.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Well, the sun changes position's and cast's in different directions (kinda like a sundial). I have never known Graal to have any 1 source of light. You're best off making custom tile's if your trying for any uniformity.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Graal has binary suns
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
graal isn't that sophisticated silly. dont think alttp cared much either.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
top left corner i would say

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 AM
Banned
haha, okay. Awesome, thanks guys

I'll just make it go somewhere... in... that *points* direction.

Also, that is a mighty fine point Kia!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
top left corner i would say
i'd say bottom left is the most accurate light source, although there's no consistency in alttp
Old 10-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
i'd say bottom left is the most accurate light source, although there's no consistency in alttp
Eh, I say top-left all the time, though technically it means bottom-left when relative to the actual object/sprite on the canvas. Top-left makes sense when you think about the object in 3D space, where the top left would literally be above and to the left of the object. All-in-all, it's a pretty weird thing to try to talk about/make sense of.

So ya, either to-left, or directly above for those times you need to do some horizontal flips. But in Graal/Zelda you need to think less technical and more aesthetically. A technically correct shadow/lighting may not always look the best. However the two I mentioned tend to be the only ones you really need.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Eh, I say top-left all the time, though technically it means bottom-left when relative to the actual object/sprite on the canvas. Top-left makes sense when you think about the object in 3D space, where the top left would literally be above and to the left of the object. All-in-all, it's a pretty weird thing to try to talk about/make sense of.

So ya, either to-left, or directly above for those times you need to do some horizontal flips. But in Graal/Zelda you need to think less technical and more aesthetically. A technically correct shadow/lighting may not always look the best. However the two I mentioned tend to be the only ones you really need.
I don't understand how the light source would be coming from the top left when every up-direction of cliffs (including diagonal tops) cast a shadow straight up. Houses consistently cast a shadow to the right so the only reasonble light source would be bottom left...even though the player and fences have shadows right under them (indicated directly above the player).

ALtTP didn't really give two ****s I reckon, so we shouldn't either.

edit- kind of not following w/ the 3d bit but "technically it means bottom-left when relative to the actual object/sprite on the canvas" is enuff <3

Last edited by Crono; 10-25-2012 at 08:14 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post

Haha thats what I meant xD... bottom left with the z-axis being top! haha

for instance, you have a cube standing in the room, the source would then be -x/-y/+z

Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned
Yeah, I was with Crono on this.. though the more technically minded Graphics people seem to know what they are talking about.

I was asking because I am making a druid ring, so to speak... but was having problems with the shadows and where they should be going. I think this is alright though...

Ignore the dorky NPC's. They are references.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	druid-ring.png
Views:	200
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	55167  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati_Link View Post
Yeah, I was with Crono on this.. though the more technically minded Graphics people seem to know what they are talking about.
They're clearly no match for my graphical intellect.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Shadows and lights in Graal, are a mere tool to bring the pseudo-perspective to the viewer