Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm
You're Polo and Stormy, he's Mass and Eclipse. It's all a bit of a headache, given that I'm Tyhm and Tyhm.
Polo is my account, I don't it as a nickname, and none of my AIM/MSN/Email refer to it...

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Sup
Mafukie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Mafukie Send a message via AIM to Mafukie
Mine is Mafukie. Everyone has their own vision on what classic should be. I eat tacos with a fork.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Yeah, but not everyone cares what everyone else wants. I rather want to be left alone to eat tacos and dream of the future in peace, but sometimes it just ain't in the cards. Not a month goes by without someone bugging me to nuke the extant leadership of Classic and "just bring back all the fun clientside stuff", as if G2K0 wasn't a lesson in the futility of that theory - if only it had been the right version! And if only the staff had uploaded the RIGHT improvements!

But I digress. Territory would be a way of keeping score, and a way of keeping score gives something to do, and something to do is necessary, as Classic was once a game based on "do all the quests" and right now it's got all of two quests. One of which relies on single-tile offset block puzzles, which I've never found particularly clever. So it needs Something to do. Exploration requires levels and hidden points of interest, PKing requires a playercount, Sparring requires someone to care about Sparring, Minigames requires a deep knowledge of the scripting language - even bringing back Bowling would require more hours of development at this point than it'd provide hours of gameplay. But defending territory, that's easy to script and self-motivating - as long as there's a single player with the Pirate hat on going through Avalon taking over the houses, there's work to be done when you log back on.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Sup
Mafukie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Mafukie Send a message via AIM to Mafukie
I liked the bowling, bring it back!

I want to defend territory! But what about the AP system? Wouldn't that screw everything up?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Yea, Tyhm... let's see what I can get done with guilds before we look into other measures.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Psionic Youth
Ultimately, yes: AP, Newbie Saint, and Respawn would all be issues, nice complicated ones that require a lot of System Editing and the direct intervention of Mass.

I don't suppose there's any particular rush - a lot of these doors don't actually link to playerhouses anyway.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 07-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Former Classic Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm
Ultimately, yes: AP, Newbie Saint, and Respawn would all be issues, nice complicated ones that require a lot of System Editing and the direct intervention of Mass.

I don't suppose there's any particular rush - a lot of these doors don't actually link to playerhouses anyway.
The nice thing about having a custom system is that it's ridiculously easy to modify... It's decision making and priorities that are the difficult part of modifying the system. The biggest problem we face with the system is rewriting what's still on Master Storm's systems into my systems (projectiles, item dropping, staff systems, weather system, warp system).

Bed Healing and Lava Hurting are easy. I just don't feel like adding it.
Respawn locations would be easy but we'd have to determine where a player respawns, etc. Newbie Saint would be ridiculously easy. AP is the same as the default system right now, save the -5 for hurting someone when you're a saint.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Psionic Youth
I had it all worked out once. Respawn I mean. If you died inside, you warp to the position recorded the first instant after you left the overworld map, unless you were an Alien (because they're so slow-moving), or unless it was a special "outside level" level. If you touched a Midpoint/savepoint/warpgem (they were the big S spheres), all that does is change the flag to set that as your new respawn location. If you activated the old warp ring and had a respawn location saved, you warped to the respawn location.

Come to think of it, it WAS really complicated - if you warp from outside, you warp to the Outside Respawn Location, if you die outside you don't warp...or do you...? Man, now I'm confused.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Former Classic Staff
Yea, the other thing about respawn points is that we'd want it to not affect PKing too much.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Psionic Youth
This is rapidly slanting off-topic, but I consider an evolving discussion to be a Good Thing.

Most PKing occurs outdoors. Currently you warp back to where you entered the overworld map when PKed. So that should probably stay.
Fort roofs are also outdoors. A special exception should be made for fort roofs - you warp back to the Bottom of a fort when PKed. When they enter the door at the bottom, a leash-String is put on them - when they die, they're warped back - when they leave by the same door, the leash-String is removed. It's like putting on the Laser Tag vest - while you're in the Fort Arena, your respawn rules are changed. (You might have a more clever way of handling it, something with all the interior fort levels setting the string and also a polygonnal invisible NPC on the roof - I dunno, it doesn't front me.)

If the house theory is used, anyone PKed indoors should be shunted to where they left the overworld map - outdoors. A difference of one step from the usual - if you can reenter the building, do so.

If a quest needs a different Respawn Rule, then that works. I'd certainly support interior respawn locations for dungeons (those silly little prismatic spirals I was so fond of...)

Thus, outdoor respawn only changes for forts, and (if houses are used as capturable territory) indoor respawn is only changed by one step - and it's got a Fred Flintstone charm, getting kicked out the window by the sabretoothed cat and having to bolt for the door. That'd be the general rule anyway, the specific rules for dungeons should be maleable.