Everytime I see ya...
Old_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy The Death of Era

Click image for larger version

Name:	eradeath.png
Views:	229
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	49536

The future is clear. Era is dying, if its not dead already. Many of the factors of a dying server has came into play. People quitting, going to other servers, complaining more over mass, large crowds idling, and now this week: playercount dropping. On a friday and saturday night I was surprised to see only about 50 players tops.

Now I'm not dissing anyone out here so please dont think I am, everyone is working very hard, and im thankful for that. But how has the server fell into this hole? And how can we get back out?

To be quite honest I dont think that adding ranked spars and putting malls around or anything newly made is working. Why is this? I'm even an ET on Era and im still getting bored. Mostly because everyone logs on and just leaves their computer now. Whats the fun in that?

Im not going to get into detail with this and point out every point thats influencing this servers death, all that matters is that whatever is being done is not working. Whatever state of mind people are in, we need to change it before we end up like Zone. Its as simple as that.

To state again: I am not complaining to just whine, I am complaining because I pay to be bored and ive been on the server long enough to see its downfalls. I care about era, I dont want it to die.

Thanks everyone.

Your friend OD
Old 10-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Era's player count has dropped, but so have all other servers, too. It's Graal in general.

I'm sure school starting again is the primary cause of the sudden drop in players. Let it be known, though, that the few developers we have are working hard to bring the desired change!

Although, maybe not as quickly as some of us had hoped.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Everytime I see ya...
Old_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
Era's player count has dropped, but so have all other servers, too. It's Graal in general.

I'm sure school starting again is the primary cause of the sudden drop in players. Let it be known, though, that the few developers we have are working hard to bring the desired change!

Although, maybe not as quickly as some of us had hoped.
True Sales, and school probably is a major factor in it, but lately I have been noticing that Zodiacs playercount has been as high as Era's was at given points. This could only be a coincidence though, we'll never get any proof out of that. The fact that everyone is quitting and idling and complaining far too much than they used to. Lets go back in time to 1.5 years ago, people as I remember would PK more and do quest, never stand at unstick me and do nothing. I always remember somthing big going on. Maybe you dont think the same as me, maybe you do. But the main thing is, most everyone feels this way also.

I do realize all the work you guys do, all while having us players whine at you. I know thats a tough combination...lol. But its all a matter of time until people just say "**** it." It would be too bad if it went out like that because I still have faith in you guys, even though alot of people lost it.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Might just be the way to play. Killing people all the time is really fun, but it gets really boring some time after. Events can solve this, but not forever. It'll probably finish like Zone, except if you bring awesome updates(and don't reset the players lol)

Just my opinion tho.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandralove View Post
Might just be the way to play. Killing people all the time is really fun, but it gets really boring some time after. Events can solve this, but not forever. It'll probably finish like Zone, except if you bring awesome updates(and don't reset the players lol)

Just my opinion tho.
I don't know where people get these facts from that resets would cause the playercount go down. In actuality playercount always goes UP when there is a reset. The reason for this is because new people from different servers would give the server a chance since everyone is on equal footing once again. Also, all the players would want to be the richest, own a business, have the best guns, be the best in general, and etc. Which also causes activity to rise. The saying that a reset would make the playercount drop, in my opinion, is a joke.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
I don't know where people get these facts from that resets would cause the playercount go down. In actuality playercount always goes UP when there is a reset. The reason for this is because new people from different servers would give the server a chance since everyone is on equal footing once again. Also, all the players would want to be the richest, own a business, have the best guns, be the best in general, and etc. Which also causes activity to rise. The saying that a reset would make the playercount drop, in my opinion, is a joke.
That was just my opinion. I have tried the same with Zodiac before, even if it was not so appealing, I gave it a try when there was a reset. I never made it.
Some people might have the same opinions, because as you just said "people from different servers". Those one are not used to the server, so the oldbies from it will mostly just ruin their chance to get to the best level.

Again, it's only my opinion.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:15 AM
MontyPython is a jewel in the roughMontyPython is a jewel in the rough
I personally have never liked the idea of the server reset being used so frequently on Era. Back in the past, I was always very frustrated when I had to start completely over again whenever I decided to start playing again. It got to the point where I finally said **** it, what's the point of doing all this work when it's just going to get reset again?
That's when I took a 2-3 year break. I went back, and naturally, there had been another reset. The only reason that I didn't mind this quite as much was that there was now a bunch of new content to explore from my long break. The reset itself was still an annoyance.

Now, does a reset spark a playercount? Perhaps. But should a reset really be necessary? If anything, I think the fact that it's used as a solution at all just shows the flaws inherent in the system. There's better ways to keep bringing fresh things for players to do, rather than simply hitting the reset switch and making them revisit old classics like:
°Mining for hours.
°Flower-picking for hours.
°Seashell digging for hours.
°Pizza-making for hours.
°Heckling with the price-gouging jackasses that infest the player-market.
Which, spoiler alert, wasn't fun the first time, and sure as hell isn't fun the next time. If I was (god forbid) paying a monthly fee like a lot of these Graal#### accounts that are floating around are, I'd be really upset to find all that time and money essentially wasted.

Other games based upon gear/items simply introduce new, generally better items for those that have reached that peak and find themselves bored. Granted, it'd be a terrible idea to just release more and more powerful weapons, creating a gear-based MMORPG-esque style of play that values items over skill. These new updates could just be new styles of weapons, maybe new quests that introduce a potion/tonic that gives new temporary stat boosts...

I'm just brainstorming useless **** here now (I'm way too tired, shouldn't even be trying to post something coherent right now), but the idea is to release content that both encourages new players and old players. Bring new content while keeping old progress still somewhat relevant. Not everyone has the time nor the resources to reach the top and become bored, and not everyone wishes to restart from scratch.

These problems of boredom stem from the fact that as everyone said above me, while mindless killing is fun, it becomes stale and pointless quite quickly. I think once the new gang system is released and the concept behind gang points and **** actually gives purpose once again to raiding beyond that of raiding just for raiding's sake, that might help the player population. The server just needs some more direction, more purpose. Releasing 424919 generic new guns won't solve it, and likewise, just resetting everyone's **** won't either.

It's a complex problem, and the best solutions are often very dev-intensive, which is likely why a quick-fix like a server reset is chosen. With the salary they currently receive, though, I can't say I blame them.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Era Manager
DuBsTeRmAn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to DuBsTeRmAn
Era is dieng yes, So is graal..
Old 10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
The only thing that keeps me on Graal (era) is : Raids,Friends,Events and thats it.
If none of those are going on, I say **** it I have better things to do. Then i log off.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
frequent resets made me not play era for a logn long time back in the day, but a reset before a major change such as the one era is planning is a must. When a server resets, players will most likely try it out then if they havent before, because everyone is at the same level and such. Thats how i got hooked to era, was when everyone was equal. And era isn't really dying as much as it's graal. Im sure others like myself, have school, a job, sports, etc, who has time for graal!?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Should I make a thread called The Revival of Era since Era's #1 on the serverlist with 70 players.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 AM
UnKnown Confusion
Vman13x can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
Well actually, it would give the older players a reason to quit. That's just my opinion. Not to mention zods had a higher playercount these past few days
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 AM
Dark_Zeratul101 is on a distinguished road
Era is in limbo.
It HAS been worse.
It's not getting better though.
There's nothing else to be said.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
I think Graal Ghetto on the hosted tab (being a complete rip off of Era) is part of the reason the playercount has been lower, too. Players are able to get things there that they've always wanted on Era (staff positions, lame weapons, etc). I don't think it will last, hopefully.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Master Blaster
deathbarrier99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to deathbarrier99 Send a message via Yahoo to deathbarrier99
This is such a boring, old, and repetitive conversation. Yes, at times the game can be boring. If the rate of change isn't attractive to you then maybe what, switch games? If the concept seems impossible to you, then you will have to put your trust (how hard as it seems) in the management to release fresh content and keep the game updated.

Ultimately it's out of your control.

I shall not rest until every idiot has been vanquished!

Eros Cassini (Mon May 08 13:16:32 2006):
You're the fat Cassini