Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Inferno (Level Designer)
Infernix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Infernix
Just to add to this, Moonie your kinda a smartass a lot of times. Now I understand your being spazzed and insulted all the time but....on a more serious note you probobly shouldnt even reply to those things. Act alil more professional maybe? Just a thought by me.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Enigma
Andy0687 is on a distinguished road
Uh, you need to ask the members who have been giving you trouble this question, not the forum members.

EditReply: (Stupid 8 hours thing):

Quote:
Did you just read my other thread? >:P
I dont know if you will believe me or not, but its fine either way. I logged on, went to the religion thread, where i saw Moonie had posted (I always check these threads she posts in last, because i get to see Zany and obscure reasons threads have been closed usually, its like a game, only not fun). I saw her post, highlighted it, copied it, came here, pasted, reworded, submited.

I checked your thread out just now, at least we seem to think on the same page
Old 06-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0687
Uh, you need to ask the members who have been giving you trouble this question, not the forum members.
Did you just read my other thread? >:P

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 06-24-2006, 10:13 AM
~~Paul
alarid0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to alarid0 Send a message via MSN to alarid0
Wow...
This thread has really pissed me off to tell you the truth

First off...I'll answer the question.
Moonie, I don't know you at all, and I've never had any contact with you either with your duties to graal or just in a conversation. There was one case...where I think I already said my view on this in another thread. I've got no problem with older people playing mmo's. In fact, I think it's damn cool that an older generation is into this form of entertainment.
However... I'm 19 and I guess from what some of you have said I could be viewed as being to old, too o_O
So, how about my views from an earlier time?
When I was...oh...maybe 14 or 15 and when Sanstrata was around I found out how old Prozac was. That was the first time I'd ever heard of somebody older playing. Definetly a big shock... I didn't really know how to react. I thought it was kind of wierd at first...the thought of somebody almost old enough to be my parent playing this game. I didn't hate him because he was older, but I kind of avoided him (sort of). He was older, and I just didn't think I could relate to him...at all. I talked with him every now and then, but not for long. I didn't see myself becoming friends with him and talking to him alot. I think that's the problem right there. People just see those of another generation as being too different and cant really intereact with them. I never had any thoughts of "omg he's stepping in on our world, how dare he!" or anything like that... I just couldn't possibly see us as being on the same level.
I've noticed something...after I graduated from high school... that mindset took a drastic change. Before, adults were a whole 'nother world away, but lately I havn't seen myself as being as distant as I considered us to be in the past. It was around this first year of college where I started seeing them all as *people* instead of just "the adults."
Here's where I start guessing tho
From the sounds of it, you've got that going on. Your in this community trying to be a part of it regardless of age. You see every other member as just another person, but its one sided. If they're in this thinking like I was, they can't really see themselves socializing with you and it would be strange to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedHead2k
Just think about what's going on. You're a 30-something year old and you're trying to make peace and friendship with a bunch of early teen nerds. You post on here in the same maneurism as other members and talk to others as if they are on the same level as yourself. There's nothing actually WRONG with this, but in real life, that's a bit out of the ordinairy. Someone your age wouldn't really hang out with a bunch of kids for leisure in real life. It's not as deep as people are making it out to be, it's just plain odd. And you know how well people take to things that are odd. Especially on Graal, a place full of *****s who hide behind their screens calling each other noobs and whatever else.

The problem is plain and simply that you are in a community comprised mainly of immature kids. Gaining everyones respect would be impossible, and I'm not really sure why you would want it anyway.

EDIT: Ching summed it up really nicely, I didn't get his post before I replied.
Exactly what I was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknts
I have a problem with older players. You spend so much time with Graal I wouldn't be surprised if your kids shoot someone in school or kill someone. When I was younger we always had a computer and my parents weren't on it longer then 30 minutes a day. I would of yelled and complained if they got active in a game online. The time you are spending on this game is time wasting away that you can spend with your family. Get your **** together and realize what is truly important in your life: Family or Graal.
....ok this has already been said...but...
Don't be an *******. To you all the rest that throw out claims to how things are in her life and critisizing her parenting...just stop, alright? You have no right to step in and pretend you know ANYTHING about her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
Sorry if you take offense to this or something but are your children like, picked on and **** or normal?
That is really offensive. To ME, and I was never even involved in this x_X People are *******s everywhere and saying that your normal if you don't get ripped on or singled out alot puts you in with them. You sound like one of those on the other side of things, picking on people just for the hell of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
I don't think Sam realizes the difference between games and video games.
Good lord is this hypocritical... critisism for playing a game because its a video game from other people that enjoy it. By that logic....
You people are pathetic! Playing graal...pah! MMORPGS are for nerds. YOU NERDS!! Go outside, play some soccer, hang out with your friends at a cafe...anything other than video games.
It's almost like a culture shock here some people live diffferently than you see things. Video games *are* games. And games are...well...games. Older people can't play them? What about the parents that play poker online? Is that more acceptable to you? Basketball you approve of, no problem we already know that.
Why shouldn't an adult play a video game? Why should they be excluded? Younger generations are the ones that typically find fun in digital goodness, yes. If somebody else thinks its enjoyable, your just ready to toss it aside and tell them that its not right for them to be playing? Let people just live their lives. Let em do what they think is fun, who are you to say that its wrong? (Why is it wrong? It's not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protagonist
Only when they act like moms.

Kids don't want a clean environment, they don't want a pristine little haven for their little uncorrupted minds. They have that in real life. When they play games like Graal, they get to have unhindered access to other people. They get to learn about what other people are about, and they get to act as virtuous or as dishonest as they want to.

Having some woman trying to raise them on the internet probably upsets and disturbs them.
I don't know anything about the extent to which she censors and moderates (and plz dont respond with example after example...I really don't care) but...uh... right... freedom is good and all but the way you put it sounds like anarchy. "to be as virtuous or as dishonest as they want to" (note: I'm kind of reading this and thinking extreme examples) You want no rules. At all. Almost on the verge of rewarding people for being dishonest selfish jerks. If they're unhindered and can do whatever the hell they please without anyone to stop them, well life is good for them but watch out if your in their path. Rewarding, because they get what they want and theres not a thing anyone can do about it. However you would still have those virtuous in the bunch that won't stand for that crap. Wouldn't...that...kind of be Moonie right there? The virtuous one stepping in and watching out for the people as a whole and trying to keep the rules, right the wrongs and try to stop the evil bastards from the "do what thou wilt" train of thought.

edit: Also...she's been put where she is by the people that run the game. As an established professional company, cyberjouers can't just let it's community (the main selling point for something like this) go untamed. If they're trying to sell it as a game friendly to young kids, they have to make sure that it is just that. If that's what it's supposed to be and youve got people running around swearing their heads off left and right and tearing each other apart....
well...
That's bad business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Do you have some kind of evidence? Or is this just what you want to believe because it gives you some kind of sense of identity to view Graal as a bunch of renegade kids who need some kind of "mother-figure" to "show them the way"?
I know this thread is (edit: was) a long read...so you probably skipped it...but you missed *why* she said that.
She got that conclusion from the answers of other people. They gave her that answer, she didnt just pull it out of her ass.

Last edited by alarid0; 06-24-2006 at 10:32 AM..
Old 06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarid0
That is really offensive. To ME, and I was never even involved in this x_X People are *******s everywhere and saying that your normal if you don't get ripped on or singled out alot puts you in with them. You sound like one of those on the other side of things, picking on people just for the hell of it.
I just wanted to know her children's social status to compare it with their tolerence for their mother's MMO-gaming.

Quote:
Good lord is this hypocritical... critisism for playing a game because its a video game from other people that enjoy it. By that logic....
People play sports until they're like 50, but video games are different in society.

Quote:
You people are pathetic! Playing graal...pah! MMORPGS are for nerds. YOU NERDS!! Go outside, play some soccer, hang out with your friends at a cafe...anything other than video games.
i dun haev friends -emo cut-

Quote:
What about the parents that play poker online? Is that more acceptable to you? Basketball you approve of, no problem we already know that.
I DO NOT ACCEPT

Quote:
Why shouldn't an adult play a video game? Why should they be excluded?
Ask society that drew me into the opinion. Kthx

Quote:
Younger generations are the ones that typically find fun in digital goodness, yes. If somebody else thinks its enjoyable, your just ready to toss it aside and tell them that its not right for them to be playing? Let people just live their lives. Let em do what they think is fun, who are you to say that its wrong? (Why is it wrong? It's not)
Who's to say it's not wrong?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
This thread is starting to get funny. People arguing about why Moonie collects so much **** from other players.
Could it be that there are hundreds of reasons?
Thousands (if you count the forums).
Most of us here have expressed one clear thing: We don't care about age.
Mabye, just maybe, there are other factors, and making fun of your age is the only thing you can't disprove or say anything about. It's awsome that you're still playing. I think it's other things that cause people to complain.
(A LOT of other things =\)...I got this in before thread closure =P

Last edited by excaliber7388; 06-24-2006 at 05:19 PM..
Old 06-24-2006, 06:29 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarid0
I know this thread is (edit: was) a long read...so you probably skipped it...but you missed *why* she said that.
She got that conclusion from the answers of other people. They gave her that answer, she didnt just pull it out of her ass.
I've been reading and posting in the thread since it's creation. I know a few people suggested this, but they didn't really give evidence, and a lot of people suggested alternate explanations.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
I've been reading and posting in the thread since it's creation. I know a few people suggested this, but they didn't really give evidence, and a lot of people suggested alternate explanations.
Not everything comes from evidence.
I came to my conclusion from what people said both in this thread, and in game over several years.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 06-24-2006, 08:46 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159
Just facts?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned
protagonist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to protagonist Send a message via MSN to protagonist
Quote:
Yes, I am a Mom, so sometimes motherly instincts kick in, that is part of who I am because I am a mom.
Well then maybe you shouldn't play this game while trying to parent other peoples' children (and even other adults).

Quote:
Maybe your refusal to examine it properly and objectively instead of trying to find fault in other people is blinding you to the evidence. You keep trying to blame it all on age, but it's not that at all. It's that you are manipulative and controlling, and you try to parent other peoples' children on the internet. Other moderators have been much more laid-back, much more accepting of slightly volatile behavior, and it hasn't negatively impacted the community in the least. In fact, the moderators actually participated in the discussions and didn't threaten to punish people for having differing views, even if they could be offensive to some people.

In otherwords, Kaimetsu was way better than you, despite the fact I don't like him. Kamuii could probably be way better than you, too. You are an unqualified individual put in a position that makes no sense. Adminship belongs to people who can actually use it to do something (such as improve the useability of the forums). As far as most of us know, you have absolutely no skills in web development, just in forcing people to adhere to your "authority", to feed your pseudo-matriarchal ego.

The fact you didn't contest that stupid no-link rule shows how much you really give a damn. That would have completely killed the NGRT forums (how the hell are you supposed to have non-graal related forums without non-graal related links?). You should have audibly, in public, called that rule out for what it was and shown some actual initiative and spine, instead of "it was unixmad!".
Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Quote:
Didn't someone get banned for pointing out these things?
Good job though ;-)
Old 06-24-2006, 11:22 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Dayum VT is walking all over.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:24 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388
Didn't someone get banned for pointing out these things?
Not that I know of, but VT already "quit" anyways.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:25 AM
~~Paul
alarid0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to alarid0 Send a message via MSN to alarid0
Quote:
Well then maybe you shouldn't play this game while trying to parent other peoples' children (and even other adults).

Maybe your refusal to examine it properly and objectively instead of trying to find fault in other people is blinding you to the evidence. You keep trying to blame it all on age, but it's not that at all. It's that you are manipulative and controlling, and you try to parent other peoples' children on the internet. Other moderators have been much more laid-back, much more accepting of slightly volatile behavior, and it hasn't negatively impacted the community in the least. In fact, the moderators actually participated in the discussions and didn't threaten to punish people for having differing views, even if they could be offensive to some people.
Then...
is it that people see that and refer it all using a single label of "old" and use it in a negative way? As in..."old" is just being used to sum up all the things they don't like about Moonie.
In that case using her age against her & all the conflict with age always coming up isn't because of numbers and how old she actually is...but everything that most of you have been unable to leave out of this thread...like you said.
To sum it all up...
You've all said "we don't like you Moonie because of who you are, not how old you are"
It's not that they are two seperate issues, one being wrong and the other being the true reason, but that one is the reason the other is...I guess more of a tool for attacking her.

Last edited by alarid0; 06-25-2006 at 12:35 AM..
Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
VT, I do not parent other peoples children, that is obviously not my job.
You completely misunderstood what I said, which wouldn't be hard, since you are not a parent.
Only a parent would know what I meant, and I did not mean I parent the people on Graal. they do not need a mom, they already have one (or Dad, or other caregiver).

This thread for the most part, has been turned into a thread for some users to complain about my position on the forums, which is not what the thread was started for, and I am not going to argue about my position on these forums.
If you want to complain, complain to Unixmad.
If he finds I am doing something wrong, he can talk to me about it, or fire me.
Stop using every single thread that you can to attack my job on the forums.

All I wanted to know were thoughts from players as to why they have a problem with older adults on the game, nothing more.
I didnt ask who or why some people have a problem with my job on the forums. In fact, I didnt ask about the forums at all.

Those of you who did not have a reply to the question that I asked, should have not posted at all, but as usual, there are those few who just cannot wait to attack me in any thread that they can when they see a little hint of an opening (even when there isnt one). I find it quite disrespectful personally to anyone that this is done to (oh no, is mentioning respect a parental thing?)

I am quite proud of who I am, and my kids are quite proud of who I am, and my husband is quite proud of who I am, even my parents are quite proud of who I am, and my friends (both in real life, and on Graal).
Even Unixmad seems to be proud of who I am (Dont know about Stefan or other admins, I hardly ever speak to them).
I have solid morals, which I am proud of.
I do not believe rules were made to be broken, but enforced.
If this makes a few kids mad, then whatever. Get over it because your whole life will be filled with rules (uh oh, another parental flaw).
All in all, Everything that I am makes up me as a whole, and being a mom and Grandma is part of who I am, and I am not ashamed of it in the least, quite proud actually.
And I love Graal, and I am not ashamed of that either, nor will I ever be.

As far as Kaimetsu being a better mod? You are intitled to your opinion, but Unixmad certainly wasn't happy with the way the forums were being moderated, so that tells me that Unixmad does not want a "relaxed" moderator.

I guess making a thread to get honest opinions from some Graalians was a bad idea. I should have known that a select few would bring other things in it, and ruin it.
At least a few did answer the actual question.

Oh yea, and I didnt fight the no linking rule, because I knew Unixmad was going to make the private forum for that reason, so the members were still going to be able to do it. Unixmad has reasons for why he does things.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Closed Thread