Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Development forums

... should be restricted to members of the forums only. I realized that, quite often, there are more guests than registered members.
I don't particulary like to have my work exposed to anyone, so I feel that only members of the forums should be allowed to READ and post in the development forums.

Opinions?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
No.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Ideas on Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
No.
Why not? It wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
I disagree. Graal development is already composed of so few people that closing it off any further would kill it off entirely.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
It would hurt.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
Why not? It wouldn't hurt.
It might. The way these forums are it is entirely possible that there are members of the development community that can't access the forums. free vimes, if you catch my drift
Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Ideas on Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I disagree. Graal development is already composed of so few people that closing it off any further would kill it off entirely.
So you're okay with the fact that people just come here, look at your stuff, take it and use it without saying thanks because they don't have a forum account? You don't even know who's doing what!
Just restrict read access to members, that's all I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
It might. The way these forums are it is entirely possible that there are members of the development community that can't access the forums. free vimes, if you catch my drift
How hard is it to activate your accounts on the Graal forums?
I believe it would make more people come in to say thanks, or eventualy make them post their own stuff since they have an account!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't post your work if you don't want it to become accessible to the public domain.

The development forums are just as important as the Wiki and closing the door will only have negative repercussions.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
I don't particulary like to have my work exposed to anyone
The simple solution would be to stop posting your work.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
So you're okay with the fact that people just come here, look at your stuff, take it and use it without saying thanks because they don't have a forum account? You don't even know who's doing what!
I don't post stuff here to just show it. It's either posted for people to directly use it or learn from it.

Even if I posted stuff that I didn't want copied, I'd still leave the forums open, because attracting people to the game, and specifically its development community, is far more important than my pride.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Ideas on Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I don't post stuff here to just show it. It's either posted for people to directly use it or learn from it.

Even if I posted stuff that I didn't want copied, I'd still leave the forums open, because attracting people to the game, and specifically its development community, is far more important than my pride.
I'm not talking about pride, I'm talking about the fact that your work can be used somewhere else without any credits. You will never know where your work is at the moment, who's using it and for what project.
People know there are alternatives to Graal, and seriously, how many times did we see people starting standalone projects using graal's stuff without permission? I've seen that way too many times, it's really annoying.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 AM
the fake one
Quote:
People know there are alternatives to Graal, and seriously, how many times did we see people starting standalone projects using graal's stuff without permission? I've seen that way too many times, it's really annoying.
I've never seen it, but I would assume the people who do it are familiar with Graal and would probably have a forum account anyway.

Felix's solution was perfect.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm not talking about pride, I'm talking about the fact that your work can be used somewhere else without any credits. You will never know where your work is at the moment, who's using it and for what project.
Get over yourself, nobody cares that much about your graphics.

All the power to people who manage to create something successful from public assets.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 AM
Banned
Quote:
Are you trying to induce paranoia in the community? Have some trust that more people will be using what they see for good rather than for bad.

The fact is that anyone who is stealing content won't have enough talent to make a successful project anyways.

I've been part of communities which were 'closed off', and I must say they were more elitist than skilled, and there was a truly ugly atmosphere inside of them. I don't want the same to happen here.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
If people are going to steal, they're going to steal. Locking away the forum is going to only be an incentive for them to sign up on the forums... and all you need is to subscribe to Graal once(which you need to have a server anyways).

The days of problematic stealing are mainly gone, you rarely see anyone steal stuff anymore and when you do it's not hard to get it taken care of. If you're paranoid with your work Graal isn't the place for you since all you have to do is play to get the graphics.