Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Swimmer
newCappa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to newCappa
The beer

I dont really know what's the real meaning of the beer. But what i do know it thats its used by lamers to heal in PK, and thats not what it suppose to do.
I demand that someone rescripting the beer so when you got under 50 or 40 in AP you wont be healed.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
I agree, it should have a healing rate of one heart per 10 seconds.

Also, remove the AP restrictions and the PK rooms, they make the kills count meaningless less. :[
Old 09-14-2006, 08:58 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Your complaint will fall on deaf ears. I made this complaint near the introduction of the Beer NPC, and Massokre refused to take action. Having the Beer NPC effectively removes the AP restriction, because anyone with a little free time can collect a few and start PKing. We don't have to remove the beer outright, just place a few more restrictions on it.

And Minoc, the AP restrictions is a great thing. Nowadays, everyone lames, and giving them the ability to heal whenever they please will only reinforce their strategy. PK Rooms, I'll agree, should go, because they interfere with the PK points system.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Minoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud ofMinoc has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus
And Minoc, the AP restrictions is a great thing. Nowadays, everyone lames, and giving them the ability to heal whenever they please will only reinforce their strategy.
It's much harder to lame players with 8 hearts.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I agree with this and have also complained about it.

Massokre is sadly on leave though and if he were actually going to do anything (which I don't actually know if he will) then it might be a while until that happens.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Well, at least you're thinking. I mean, it's one thing to say "Beer is wrong!", another to say "It shouldn't heal people below 40AP". That's a single line of code and, if everyone's on board, it's easily implemented.

I liked my beer. When you got drunk and couldn't walk straight.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 09-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Swimmer
newCappa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to newCappa
Quote:
I liked my beer. When you got drunk and couldn't walk straight.
this beer is the same exept you can carry it whit you in you inventory.
I dont like to complain but this time i feel like i have to.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Psionic Youth
*shrugs* Perhaps while you're Carrying Beer, taking damage causes it to spill. That'd be funny, at least. Graphically it could force the shield image temporarily to one of the Beer Shields, so your character holds it off to one side while he swings his sword, and he deflects arrows with the mug...Likewise, perhaps there could be a gani for Chugging, and if you're interrupted the mug shatters on the ground...

Balance-wise, I don't really see the problem with a carryable heal item with a penalty attached...but then, I think I'm missing part of the picture. Can anyone purchase it with equal ease, or is it restricted to The Evil? Does it allow people to fully heal in a no-healing area or something? If the penalties are strong enough, healing low-AP PK'ers isn't that bad...if the penalties are strong enough.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck

Old 09-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm
*shrugs* Perhaps while you're Carrying Beer, taking damage causes it to spill. That'd be funny, at least. Graphically it could force the shield image temporarily to one of the Beer Shields, so your character holds it off to one side while he swings his sword, and he deflects arrows with the mug...Likewise, perhaps there could be a gani for Chugging, and if you're interrupted the mug shatters on the ground...

Balance-wise, I don't really see the problem with a carryable heal item with a penalty attached...but then, I think I'm missing part of the picture. Can anyone purchase it with equal ease, or is it restricted to The Evil? Does it allow people to fully heal in a no-healing area or something? If the penalties are strong enough, healing low-AP PK'ers isn't that bad...if the penalties are strong enough.
Well, it's a bit complex. Every time you drink a beer, it adds onto a timer by 20 seconds.

If the timer is => 40 seconds it will make you stumbly... very difficult to fight.

In terms of healing:
If the timer is at 0 seconds it will full heal you.
Otherwise if it's <= 100, it will heal you one heart per beer.
if it's <= 200 it will heal you half a heart per beer.
if it's greater than 300 it will hurt you a full heart.

However, if you're in a nopklevel and your AP is less than 40 it won't heal you.
And usually stopping to drink a beer makes you vulnerable (freezes you for 1 second). I figure that if a player stops while PKing to drink, their extra heart is likely to disappear.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:22 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
When a lamer uses the beer, they're usually cautious enough to run far enough away where they can use it without getting hit, but even that isn't needed. If you're PKing, and both parties are on low health (around 1-2 health per person) and then one person heals with a beer (they are healed full health no matter their AP), I doubt they mind being hit once, and the other person wouldn't stand a chance, as it would be 8 hearts VS 1-2 hearts.

Also a lamer wouldn't use the beers so much that they're only healed 1 heart per use. They use the NPC, and continue to lame, and most likely they'll need another beer 20 - 30 later if they're not being careful.

Also the stumbling thing doesn't really have much effect on PKing, usually if you're pressing a direction when you slash, you'll face the proper direction.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus
Also the stumbling thing doesn't really have much effect on PKing, usually if you're pressing a direction when you slash, you'll face the proper direction.
You wish... pressing the direction arrows triggers your direction to get messed. If someone's able to lame a large amount of kills by using beer, they're probably an above average player. Also, Tyhm, current stumbling inevitably leads to the same outcome as your stumbling algorithm, just a lot cleaner (don't know if YOU wrote it, but ick).
Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake
You wish... pressing the direction arrows triggers your direction to get messed. If someone's able to lame a large amount of kills by using beer, they're probably an above average player. Also, Tyhm, current stumbling inevitably leads to the same outcome as your stumbling algorithm, just a lot cleaner (don't know if YOU wrote it, but ick).
Actually I don't wish. Spar me next time you're online and give me the drunk system, and I'll show you that anyone can make it work.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Psionic Youth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake13jake
Yeah, I did. In my defense, it was overriding like 5 other scripts (including the boots and bowling ball; drunken bowling was particularly interesting). This is why I don't claim to have been a particularly good scripter, just a particularly stubborn one...and back in the days before NPCServ, you needed stubborn more than anything.

How often does this timer reset, exactly? Or approximately - after an hour? A day? A week? Never? The stumbling penalty doesn't mean much if they can full-heal, wait a little bit (or relog), and full-heal again...IMHO, the "Full-Heal" should be a % based on AP (the standard
playerhearts+=(int( 2*(playerfullhearts*(playerap/100)) )/2); thingy), so that the polite players can heal themselves during quests without throwing the balance way off, and PKers get maybe a heart out of it.

Hmm, I feel a poll coming on:
What would be the best way to improve the balance re: Beer?
- Longer period of vulnerability
- Heals based on AP
- Won't heal at all based on AP
- Staggering faster
- Slower recovery...

Old 09-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned
-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light-Ching is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to -Ching
Thumbs down

Classic is becoming a s***hole, I think it's about time the development staff should start listening to the players, and instead of the 'uh why dont you tell me whats wrong' attitude you give to the players that complain, why dont you get on and play the fkin server yourself and you'll see whats wrong. Man it's bad, I havent played there much in these past couple of weeks, but these past two days I have and it's got really bad.

The Staff roster is getting worse (The GPs being really poor)
The movement system feels like it's been designed by a 8 year old kid
The Exodus spar room (Which is now the main one) is poor (People who arnt in the spar ring can still open and close the ring doors and If there's already one person in the ring and another two run in at the same time, some weird bug happens where there's 3 people in the ring, the 3rd person is warping all around inside the ring, but cant see that he's doing it)

Classic has turned into a pos and the playercount has dropped yet again, it's really annoying to see, and the pathetic 'well-i-like-it-even-if-the-rest-of-the server-doesnt-so-im-not-changing-a-thing' attitude Massokre and Storm seem to have is really screwing the server over.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
I changed it so that when you have <40ap, beers will only heal a maximum of 1 heart (can still injure you, or not heal, for the reasons given above). I'll see how that works out, and can make further adjustments to balance it if needed.

I've been looking at Exodus' spar place, and will try to fix it up in the next few days (moving back to my university property tommorow though, so could be a hectic few days).

I have a few tweaks which I may apply to the hit detection, just for a day or so, to see how people respond. Will speak with Massokre about those before I change anything though. I also have some quite good news and things which I need to discuss with Massokre also, but I wont detail them here as people will just start rumors.

Lets see how things pan out...

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache