Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Water Mill Wheel

I've spent a crap ton of time on this wheel. Tweaking, remaking, animating my fingers to the bone. But I think I'm finally done. I've spent more time on this wheel than on some college papers I've had to write.

The default graal waterfall fits in between the flume and the water wheel. You can kinda see it on zod right now if you head out of OSL and head right

Don Hertzfeldt <3

Last edited by smirt362; 12-23-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Wow smirt, I'm very impressed by the amount of effort and precision you've placed into these works, more precisely I'm referring to the water mill's wheel.

A+ bro.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.

Last edited by Fulg0reSama; 12-23-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Old 12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
Personally anyone who tries to nitpick these pieces is just being over-critical.
Nope. The wheel doesn't really look right. The way you've animated it, there's a constant up and down motion. The perspective on it is way off, too. So if you fix that, you'll probably end up with something that looks better when animated.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
The wheel doesn't really look right. The way you've animated it, there's a constant up and down motion.
Water mill wheels tend to rotate, so I don't understand how that's a problem, you might want to go more into depth as to where you see it being an actual problem.

Quote:
The perspective on it is way off, too. So if you fix that, you'll probably end up with something that looks better when animated.
I think I understand this a bit better. But it's probably off looking due to how it's seperated from the wheel it's meant to be with. But I think the problem I see with the water flowing down is simply it doesn't seem to connect right in the frames from start to finish then back to start, it feels like there's a lack of transistion for the water for it to disappear (like making the water phase away after it's landed towards the next pool of water down)

@smirt
Could you perhaps put them both together in one image? Just so it'd be easier for those who come and view the concept as a whole and then by part.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
perspective seems fine, but the animation does seem a little awkward
nice work

e: actually now that I look at it, the animation seems fine, too. At first glance it seems to wobble up and down, but now I realize that it's just the flaps changing angle and losing visibility as they rotate around the back of the wheel.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
I believe one of the main problems is that at the top, the paddles (?) don't "transform" according to the perspective. They just go to the very top, and then down again without really changing at all, which I guess makes this look awkward.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
I believe one of the main problems is that at the top, the paddles (?) don't "transform" according to the perspective. They just go to the very top, and then down again without really changing at all, which I guess makes this look awkward.
I see what you're saying. But do a quick search for water wheels and look at how they're designed. If anything it looks a little bit different towards what you'd find, but I think if you think a little on it, it kind of has a certain charm of appeal to its design.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
I really like it- rep+
Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future

>>;...

I liked it, but think you should keep away from long, outlined 1pixel lines, and using dark colors to show corners :o
Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post

>>;...

I liked it, but think you should keep away from long, outlined 1pixel lines, and using dark colors to show corners :o
I like the thicker sides, I steal ok?

Don Hertzfeldt <3

Last edited by smirt362; 12-23-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Old 12-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Following from what crow said, there is a constant up and down motion, but it's really just an illusion and not so much bad animation. I like it however. +rep
Old 12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
I like the thicker sides, I steal ok?
kay
Old 12-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
You might want to look into the highlights/shading on the sides moving a pixel up and then down to create the effect of it turning.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Tee Hee
Better?

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I'm also curious why you use black outlines on the bottom pieces but not the top, it creates a very abrupt pop when the planks go from the bottom to top.

edit: I see a major problem that's setting this animation back: In the center the plank in the middle, only the top of the plank should be visible, but at all times we're seeing some part of the sides of the plank, so that it doesn't smoothly go from the bottom to the top. It jumps.