Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Graal Kingdoms > GK Suggestions
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Here it comes again...

Yeah. I'm gonna complain about you-know-what again. The magic system / gods system.

Seriously. These are the only systems created so far that haven't been fixed properly. A good 80 percent of the spells out there do not work like they should, and the few that do are the only ones mainly used. Let's take a look at a few spells and their flaws, shall we?

Magic Missile: Fires out a shadow. The shadow is off-center. The spell hits practically nothing.
Probe: It's the same thing as right-clicking. A pointless spell really. Either add something to it, or it's useless.
Detect Monster / Magic: Who really uses this? People don't really use either of these much because they can see if anything with magic properties or any monsters are around them.
Earth to dust: Probably one of the most useful spells for wars ever thought up. But it's disabled, so the only way you can get rid of fortifications is by smacking them to death. (Yes, even the ones people have put waaay out in the middle of the ocean to stop your ships so you can't reach them.)
Confusion / Paralyze: Don't really work well on enemies, and don't work at all on other people.
Dark Vision: Pointless.
Xray: Pointless.
Build Director: Awesome spell when used properly, but no gfx.
Create missile: Oh, come on. How hard is it to craft an arrow?
Summon Fog: Oh, so you're a fog maker now? BREAK OUT THE GLOWSTICKS!
Cancellation: Works only on stuff you own. Vitriol and Cancellation should do what they were originally intended for, but should work sort of like blinding instead. I will comment on blinding in a few.
Mystic Fist: You control the power of 'Thing' from the Addams Family. A winner is you!
Runes (All types): They just sit on the ground and do nothing. And they don't even look like runes. They look like wierd items. (Death Rune looks like a squashed bug and has the power of one to boot!)
Turn / Command Undead: There's nothing much undead on GK besides folks who change their avatars to look that way. The spells should raise up Reapers instead and work like summon pet monster. ;]
Staff to snake: Yeah. A whole lot of good that does.
Consecrate: Either doesn't work or has an insanely high requirement to cast.
Light: About as useful as Dark Vision.

And aside from all the spells, a lot of the attributes are pointless as well. The only uses for blinding are if you follow Diancecht or own a Tainted Grace. And blinding does the same exact thing as what vitriol and cancellation did before the spells got nerfed. Blinding, in an RPG sense, should lower a person's accuracy rather than AC / WC. It would make sense for Cancellation to wreck WC and for Vitriol to wreck armor, but ONLY TEMPORARILY. And also, I don't understand why poison screws up AC. Poison already drains your life out slowly, so I don't know why it needs to wreck armor too. If you get hit by uber-strong poison, your AC is demolished. And lots and lots of people use it. Even me. Fear should lower something else, too. When you cast fear, it does nothing. You can actually grab the spell icon, and the icon's like, 'Yep. I'm fear. How ya doin?' And Ghosthit? Hah! Ghosthit doesn't even really exist on GK, yet there are amulets and rings all over the place with resist ghosthit on there. Why not either improve it or get rid of it and replace it with a more useful element?

Now, I know that fixing the magic system would be a lot of work, but look at the resources we have! There's a lot of people that probably wouldn't mind with submitting graphics and stuff for GK to fix the magic system. And to make things even better, there's now the resource that we've already tapped into known as the particle engine. ;] So why not use it? If tornadoes and plumes of smoke billowing from everything can be created, why can't spells be fixed up to look nice as well and actually function properly? Or even weather effects? Spell graphics are not all that complicated, and if need be, I'd even help with 'em. Anything to improve them would be wonderful.

Now, as for gods, there are a few inconsistencies. People have talked about this and touched on a lot of problems, but the main ones are this:
- The gods share granted attributes when they should all grant unique ones.
- The items / spells are imbalanced, and a lot of them are not fixed to even work.

I'm not going to go much further than that, since it's all been talked about before.

(Correct me in any places I may be wrong on what certain spells do.)
Old 09-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Fox
Lucretian is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lucretian
Agreed, tell me when you convince someone who can do something about it.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Ahahahahahah! You're kidding, right?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
That one guy!
zim5354 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to zim5354
i dont see how its so bad if 2k2 is the rping server you make it out to be you surley dont need npcs -_-
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Have A Drink On Me
AlexH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlexH Send a message via MSN to AlexH
Maybe they're working on the spells so they arn't pointless and there is just stuff to be added before some of the stuff you're complaining about will be usefull.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim5354
i dont see how its so bad if 2k2 is the rping server you make it out to be you surley dont need npcs -_-
I am talking about this because not everyone on 2k1 Roleplays. And even so, spells being improved would heighten the dramatic effect of a skirmish. Basically to make it look like the battle is truly raging.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:06 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin
Create missile: Oh, come on. How hard is it to craft an arrow?
Pretty hard compared to casting a spell. Not to mention that create missile can give you arrows +1/+2/etc. Create missile is an awesome spell.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Steven Snow
xRuffRydax is on a distinguished road
ACtually, Earth to dust works. i use it to kill lightning, fire, and magic bullet walls, but not fortifications yet.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Registerd Abuser
nullify has a spectacular aura about
Most of those spells are lame for a reason. Every newbie needs to start somewhere.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Craigus will become famous soon enough
I dont't think poisen lowers ac but i think seeing as dex gives AC when you lose dex you lose ac.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Registerd Abuser
nullify has a spectacular aura about
Poison makes you drop a few stat points. Such as Str/Dex/Con.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googi
Not to mention that create missile can give you arrows +1/+2/etc.
Ah, yes. Forgot about that anomaly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0chin
ACtually, Earth to dust works. i use it to kill lightning, fire, and magic bullet walls, but not fortifications yet.
Yeah. I meant on fortifications.