Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Do you like this idea?
Yes 35 67.31%
Yes, with reserves... (please list below) 5 9.62%
No 12 23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Graal: Nostalgia

This idea originated with the idea of bringing back an old version of Classic from 2000 or so, but has transformed into something larger than that.

I was thinking about a server with a collection of backups of old (notable) servers.

I have been collecting backups of servers for a long time, and recently got my hands on a few good ones (Classic from 2000 and Valikorlia from about 2002, thanks Rufus and Kixt). So, I was thinking that if I can get enough completed backups of these sort of servers, why not show them to people? Old players would love to "go back in time" to view the servers they once loved and hold dear to their hearts, and new players would enjoy viewing what Graal used to be.

Here is where the problems come in: content ownership and respecting the current servers. A few servers I would love to put on this all-in-one inclusive nostalgia server include the early version of these servers (1999-2003):
  • Classic [have bits and pieces]
  • Valikorlia [have bits and pieces] - Have manager's permission
  • Babylon
  • Unholy Nation - Have manager's permission
  • N-Pulse
  • Delteria - Have manager's permission
  • Maloria
  • Doomsday
  • Graal 2001
  • Graal 3000
  • Providence
  • Rudora
  • Enigma
  • Elven Lands [have bits and pieces]
  • And more greats...

However, out of respect for what these servers have become today, we would have to make sure they don't steal playercount from the current servers and I will need the permission from each current playerworld owner that would be interested. So, that means, I need an OK from the managers of: Classic, Val, Babylon, UN, N-Pulse, and Delteria.

I don't remember who the last manager of Elven Lands was, or other servers that would be fun to add, but would like their permission as well.

I will also need help collecting the backups of these fine servers. I do not want any GScript2 in any of the levels, because it ruins the nostalgic sense. The levels must be from <= 2003.

I will need your help, if you have backups of any of those servers from the time of 1999-2003, or even bits and pieces, email them to me.

I will also need someone to help by hosting a server to do this on.

Here is how I want it to work:
You will log into the server and get a choice of which server you want to "go back in time" to. There may be multiple versions of one server eventually.

Now, this is nothing set in stone, but I want to hear your guys' opinions/comments/suggestions.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

Last edited by Tigairius; 05-08-2009 at 07:16 AM..
Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
could be fun I guess

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
I think your focus should be more on the future.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
I think your focus should be more on the future.
Well this is not something that will be time consuming, my focus is still in the future, but it would still be fun to visit the past.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
Well this is not something that will be time consuming, my focus is still in the future, but it would still be fun to visit the past.
I guess, but I don't see it helping anything...and it could potentially hurt current playerworlds. Maybe if it wasn't permanent
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM
The Cat
Quote:
I guess, but I don't see it helping anything...and it could potentially hurt current playerworlds. Maybe if it wasn't permanent
Well, that's why I want to be very careful to not steal the playercount of the current servers, and I am willing to remove the server from the nostalgic server at the manager's request.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM
~~Paul
alarid0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to alarid0 Send a message via MSN to alarid0
Quote:
A few weeks of every year to open this and have players reminisce? Or a one shot deal?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Finger lickin' good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarid0 View Post
A few weeks of every year to open this and have players reminisce? Or a one shot deal?
Either. I could see it losing its flare after a few weeks...but if it was only a temporary "event" (for lack of a better word) then I could see it being pretty cool.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 AM
The Cat
Quote:
Either. I could see it losing its flare after a few weeks...but if it was only a temporary "event" (for lack of a better word) then I could see it being pretty cool.
Well, I don't expect it to hold a playercount, this is more for my other oldbie brothers out there who would love to go back in time every once in a while and view the game that they once fell in love with, even if they don't feel the same way today.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Frolic! LOL

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Cynical Online and Bravo
Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
-Albus will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to -Albus
No. This has been done before with Graal Classic and it was a huge failure.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
I wanna see old UN again .

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM
iZone Administrator
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough
I'd love to see Babylon again, quite unfortunate a mentally unstable person was given management. Anyway, this is a good idea i think.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
  • Maloria
Unless the Maloria version you're talking about is from Orange Mal, no, you may not use our old content.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto