Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Official Graal Oldbie
Redwizard is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Redwizard Send a message via AIM to Redwizard Send a message via MSN to Redwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Redwizard
My new sig sort of thing

is finished. I hope you guys like it. I added my limo i made a while back, with sunroofs and full colours and an updated window, and turned that into a smaller car which resembles.. what could i compare it to.. oh thats right, 'l337n355'. But the only problem is my trial of cuteftp ran out recently and i cant upload to my website, so in other words, i dont have a host for it. If anyone can recommend free ftp packages that would be great :-)
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Stiff Upper Lip
Zero Hour is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zero Hour
It's nice, I like the way you worked to the gleam, and got style imho but that doesn't say much. but... the turning sprite is short looking as compared to the vertical...

Are you looking for someone to host it for you...?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Official Graal Oldbie
Send a message via ICQ to Redwizard Send a message via AIM to Redwizard Send a message via MSN to Redwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Redwizard
naw zero the diagonal isnt meant to be the same as the limo just a shortened version converted to a car. and in a sence yeah someone to host would help a lot
Old 08-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Over Nine THOUSAND!!!!!!!
davidpsy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to davidpsy
I believe they are two seperate cars at different angles consitering how the vertical car has two sun roof windows and the other car does not. Very creative, Redwizad .

Forces greater than your self, can be over come.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Stiff Upper Lip
Zero Hour is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zero Hour
Ah, you should make the entire thing a car, it's nice.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Official Graal Oldbie
well i get a lot of posts *cough* saying that i stole these cars from gta, lol. im sorry to burst your bubble guys. Buut i WILL show a sort of step by step of the process i got hrough to make the cars like what they are. This is for the sceptic. do not consider this a tutorial of any sort, but if it helps you practice your blending, feel free to use it. Well, here we go.

a forenote : Mods, please forgive me for double posting or triple posting if it happens at any occasion, i know it is considered wrong, but in this case, i see no reaon why it should not be allowed. This shows a guide of how i make my cars, it is not necassarily a tutorial, but for all we know, it might be by the end of this thread. With that having been said, i should not recommend it getting put in the tutorial section as this is only to better a certain skill in the graphical industry, the skill of blending colours and highlighting/shading shapes to make a semi-photorealistic picture. It is in no way related to graal, but it is a part of my style. In respect of the forum title, there will be no reason to remove this thread unless an arguement arises to a certain level. Anyway enough of that foficial boring blahblahstuff

First things first, i get a nice black backround and add a nice red rectangle to it. Then, with the pencil tool, i zoom in as far as i can, chose the black colour, and work my way into the box. This technique is one i fondly call 'Carving' or 'Moulding'. its the step thats crucial to making a good car/graphic, so its worth investing time into this first step to get a car the way you want in the end. Ive used red for the box because it clashes with the black and i can see it excellently, do not use white, because white + black makes it look worse than it actually is, and youll never know what your doing. Here is a picture of an image of a car i am currently making RIGHT NOW, this very second. as yu can see, only one part of the car is complete, so you can see what the rest of the area looks like when its untouched.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Official Graal Oldbie
Now id already decided that i wanted to make a sporty sort of family car here. Originally i couldnt make my mind up wether i wanted it to be an oldskool de ville or a ferrari enzo sort of thing. I worked the family/sport/oldskool styles into it pretty well, because its shape is simple like a classic, it looks sporty because of its powerful length, and it also has a certain 'musclecar' feel to the bonnet. It turned out pretty good so far. Now onto the next step which can make or break a car. As long as its done right, it should be no trouble.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Foxy
Butz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Butz
In response to your need for an FTP client:
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

FoxKelfonne @ DeviantART(updated: Dec 14, 2010)
Many Thanks to konidias for my avatar

Shawn Kelfonne - Aegis Mage of Dustari
Old 08-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Official Graal Oldbie
Ok this looks like a big leap but it isnt really. Using the smudge tool i have managed to blend the blackness in with the blue. (The reason ive converted it to a desaturated blue was because its one of the good colours to see pixel-jaggedy stuff). so far ive used red to mould the shape, black for the windows, and changed it to blue and then softened the edges.
I have also added a highlight to the bottom left of the roof. before i did all this, i selected the roof, and used the burn tool to darken the top right of the roof a bit.

And i thank you butz :-)
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Official Graal Oldbie
Ok i sort of went overboard now. i changed it a LOT, but following a similar structure. i added in light holes (black in front of the bonnet). To do all this i did exactly the same as i did before : smudged and highlighted. Here is a lil outcome. i tried something new here, i made it a very .. 'bubbly' car. ill add a spoiler soon.
-=-=-=-=-=-
With much more modification and pallette hacking, this is the beautiful turnout. it was completely made from scratch, and every single part of it came straight from my head. not a bad car, if i saw it on the streets, id add a spoiler and id drive it myself. coming from me, well, put it this way, im a very bad critic.
(bottom image)
Attached Images

Last edited by Redwizard; 08-18-2004 at 02:42 AM..
Old 08-18-2004, 06:40 AM
EoA GFX Admin & Webmaster
KyleOdin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to KyleOdin Send a message via AIM to KyleOdin Send a message via MSN to KyleOdin Send a message via Yahoo to KyleOdin
When I am not on my main workstation and need to upload or download graphics and other things, I tend to use web-based ftp to access my webservers. The only web-based version that I have found to be quite good and free is the java one called UnlimitedFTP. You will need to register an account to use the service but each account works with multiple ftp addresses and you can share folder or partial ftp rights if you need that. The site also offers pay services but I have not used any of those since the free one is all that I need when I am mobile.

Here is the website for those interested:
http://www.unlimitedftp.ca

Always a friend to stray pixels,
KyleOdin

End of Ages Graphics Admin & Webmaster
EoA Website: http://www.eoa-graal.com

"Always a friend to stray pixels." - KyleOdin
"He, he used sarcasm sir." - Monty Python
"Frogblast the Ventcore!" - BOBs from the Marathon game trilogy

For bubble popping fun, be sure to visit Virtual Bubblewrap