Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: How many sprites should a sword have?
8 - N, E, S, W, and the diagnols 2 9.09%
17 Like default graal swords 6 27.27%
Even more! 2 9.09%
Doesn't matter as long as they are animated well. 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2004, 08:29 PM
TB3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to TB3
Swords: Frames?

I'm to the part of creating weapons for my characters and im wondering hmmm just how many sword sprites are efficient.
Is this too many and just extra work or are these not enought are some of my questions.
Here is a picture of the current sword graphic i have. and also a poll of how many you think they should have.

How many sprites do you think there should be for swords?

8 sprites? up,down,left,right, 4 45 degree angles?
17 Sprites like the default graal swords?
Or even more?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fear_sword1.gif
Views:	341
Size:	779 Bytes
ID:	27294  

To the sun of your age, I arise
Old 02-08-2004, 08:55 PM
xsirebrusx is on a distinguished road
as long as it's smooth and looks good it doesn't matter.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Registered
--Chris-- will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to --Chris--
GK swords = <3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bsword30.png
Views:	295
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	27297  

Old 02-08-2004, 09:40 PM
See im debating on whether to use the new sword format created directly for my characters or to use the old graal sword format, or integrate the old graal format type / size swords into the new format with only 8 frames.
*also the old format offers some allready made swords*
Look at this example with different swords, the long grey one is from the new format and the others are random pics from old format. What do you think ?
*these are just idle anim no swinging*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sword looks.png
Views:	287
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	27300  

Old 02-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Ziro_Vitrudestec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ziro_Vitrudestec
Quote:
Originally posted by TB3
See im debating on whether to use the new sword format created directly for my characters or to use the old graal sword format, or integrate the old graal format type / size swords into the new format with only 8 frames.
*also the old format offers some allready made swords*
Look at this example with different swords, the long grey one is from the new format and the others are random pics from old format. What do you think ?
*these are just idle anim no swinging*
That's a hard decision (saying which is best). I can tell you I think the 5th one (counting from left to right) is the least good (maybe even bad...). Is this for another Graal server or something? Maybe you should try to be as original as possible. Graal Kingdoms used the 4th style for swords and the 3rd for daggers. So I would eliminate the 4th (for already being used somewhere else) and 5th style (for being not-so-good). The first two look the same, just different length of sword. It looks a little too hard to hold a sword in the way of the first two styles, and also unrealistic for someone holding a sword so perpendicular to the ground for a long time (wouldn't you hurt your wrist after a short while). So I would say the 3rd and 6thstyles are the best (they seem the same also...). The third looks like how you handle daggers in GK, but the 6th looks pretty cool (you come to rest when you think it's safe, so you just drop your sword ready to lift it back into battle position when necessary).
Old 02-09-2004, 06:04 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
17 like the Graal swords is good.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Hollow
Myomoto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Myomoto Send a message via MSN to Myomoto
Remember by putting more frames you reduce the speed of the animation ;O
Old 02-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Forbidden
G_yoshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to G_yoshi
Quote:
Originally posted by Myomoto
Remember by putting more frames you reduce the speed of the animation ;O
But the animation becomes smoother

TB3 knows these things, I'm sure.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Blue_Dragn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by --Chris--
GK swords = <3
Zens Katar he made once (cant remember when) had like 432789 diffrent angles x.x

More frames = ok

The smoother the animation the better
Old 02-10-2004, 02:56 AM
reef
xPuppetMasterx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xPuppetMasterx
I have always preferred 17.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Anyone know a good program for rotating graphix?
I might just use the 8 dir and animate them well, but if there is a realy good image rotating program out I might go for a higher frame number.
Still deciding the poll when it has significant votes will influence my final decision

Old 02-11-2004, 12:37 PM
EoA GFX Admin & Webmaster
KyleOdin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to KyleOdin Send a message via AIM to KyleOdin Send a message via MSN to KyleOdin Send a message via Yahoo to KyleOdin
TB3, there is no magic program that will make sprite rotations look good for all angles even when using professional sprite software like Promotion. Anytime you are rotating graphics that not in 90° or 45° increments, you will run into problems using problems to rotate them. Most graphics programs handle this problem in one of two different ones.

The majority of graphic programs such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Fireworks, and GIMP, will anti-alias the image that you are rotating. While this is fine and the preferred way when rotating photos or larger artwork, when you are dealing with small sprite graphics this might not give you the results that you looking for. It will create a blurred edge on the rotated image with parts of the edge having different levels of transparency and anti-aliasing applied to it. Some people prefer to retouch the edges of sprites that have been rotated with programs that use anti-aliasing.

A few more specialized sprite or pixel programs such as GraphicsGale, Pixia, ProPixel 2D, and Promotion, give you the option or being able to rotate sprites without using anti-aliasing. The results are sometimes better-rotated sprites depending on the image that is being rotated, but even this method will not always give you the results you want without putting more work into the rotated graphics.

If you look at a large number of the GK swords, you can see that they were rotated with programs that use anti-aliasing and you can sometimes see the extra blending colors and partial transparency in those images. One thing you need to remember is that since the images will be in motion and not one frame will be shown for a long period, you might not have to hand pixel the edges of anti-aliased rotated sprites. Again, this depends on the image being rotated and the degrees that you are rotating the image. If you stick with rotations that are nice multiples of 5° like 25°, 45°, 60°, and 90°, you will reduce the stretching and warping effects that you might get if you rotated the same image with a rotation at 38°.

Regarding the number of frames to use in your weapon animation, it depends on how smooth you want the animation to be as well as the size of the rotated graphics. Larger sprites will not suffer such bad distortion when being rotated unlike smaller sprites that will give you some problems. For the basic weapon template and system that we are using on End of Ages, I went with sixteen frames for the basic animations of the weapons but with a custom layout and rotation pattern that makes it easy to make new weapons for the new system. About half of the weapon frames are done by hand usually and the rest of the rotations are made by rotating the image in Photoshop running a custom action I made to automate that process for me. Since our weapon sprites are larger than most of the ones that are on Graal, this method has been giving us good results.

Next time you have a graphic-related question, problem or concern TB3, you will get better and more helpful responses if you post your message in the Graphic Design thread since not all of us graphic people that are on Graal will think to look in the Graal Main Forum thread for graphic-related posts.

Keep working on the sword graphics and template and before you know it, you will come to a good conclusion to your problem at hand.

Goes back to working on some new graphics,

End of Ages Graphics Admin & Webmaster
EoA Website: http://www.eoa-graal.com

"Always a friend to stray pixels." - KyleOdin
"He, he used sarcasm sir." - Monty Python
"Frogblast the Ventcore!" - BOBs from the Marathon game trilogy

For bubble popping fun, be sure to visit Virtual Bubblewrap
Old 02-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
I would say use 16. Like GK sword angles. That's what Oasis is using. Not just because it provides smoother swings, but because with more angles, you have more flexibility with what you can do with the sword.

Also, for how the sword should be held... I was just wondering, but why is the sword being held down and outward? Who would actually carry a sword like that? For Oasis, the character holds the sword down and inward. This way, they are prepared for a quick backswing (usually the first attack used, since most of the time, the scabbard is attached to the belt, so the person can grab the handle, pull it out of the scabbard, and swing, all in one movement.

I never quite understood why people make the sword hanging outwards. If you pick up a sword, the first thing you're going to do is bring it in front of yourself somehow.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 02-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KyleOdin
TB3, there is no magic program that will make sprite rotations look good for all angles even when using professional sprite software like Promotion. Anytime you are rotating graphics that not in 90° or 45° increments, you will run into problems using problems to rotate them. Most graphics programs handle this problem in one of two different ones.

The majority of graphic programs such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Fireworks, and GIMP, will anti-alias the image that you are rotating. While this is fine and the preferred way when rotating photos or larger artwork, when you are dealing with small sprite graphics this might not give you the results that you looking for. It will create a blurred edge on the rotated image with parts of the edge having different levels of transparency and anti-aliasing applied to it. Some people prefer to retouch the edges of sprites that have been rotated with programs that use anti-aliasing.

A few more specialized sprite or pixel programs such as GraphicsGale, Pixia, ProPixel 2D, and Promotion, give you the option or being able to rotate sprites without using anti-aliasing. The results are sometimes better-rotated sprites depending on the image that is being rotated, but even this method will not always give you the results you want without putting more work into the rotated graphics.

If you look at a large number of the GK swords, you can see that they were rotated with programs that use anti-aliasing and you can sometimes see the extra blending colors and partial transparency in those images. One thing you need to remember is that since the images will be in motion and not one frame will be shown for a long period, you might not have to hand pixel the edges of anti-aliased rotated sprites. Again, this depends on the image being rotated and the degrees that you are rotating the image. If you stick with rotations that are nice multiples of 5° like 25°, 45°, 60°, and 90°, you will reduce the stretching and warping effects that you might get if you rotated the same image with a rotation at 38°.

Regarding the number of frames to use in your weapon animation, it depends on how smooth you want the animation to be as well as the size of the rotated graphics. Larger sprites will not suffer such bad distortion when being rotated unlike smaller sprites that will give you some problems. For the basic weapon template and system that we are using on End of Ages, I went with sixteen frames for the basic animations of the weapons but with a custom layout and rotation pattern that makes it easy to make new weapons for the new system. About half of the weapon frames are done by hand usually and the rest of the rotations are made by rotating the image in Photoshop running a custom action I made to automate that process for me. Since our weapon sprites are larger than most of the ones that are on Graal, this method has been giving us good results.

Next time you have a graphic-related question, problem or concern TB3, you will get better and more helpful responses if you post your message in the Graphic Design thread since not all of us graphic people that are on Graal will think to look in the Graal Main Forum thread for graphic-related posts.

Keep working on the sword graphics and template and before you know it, you will come to a good conclusion to your problem at hand.

Goes back to working on some new graphics,
Thanks a bunch for the input.
I'll post in the graphix section next time sorry heheh I was just thinking at the time that this was not a graphic question but a ease of use question / graphic / gani type thing lolz.
Im leaning towards the 16 framed animation now because I can spiff up a custom in psp and it shouldnt take to much from the quality of the image if I make it correctly. Ill do more along the lines of 0, 25, 45, 65, 90 ect... that shouldnt be to bad and should alow for better gani work.

Quote:
Originally posted by konidias
I would say use 16. Like GK sword angles. That's what Oasis is using. Not just because it provides smoother swings, but because with more angles, you have more flexibility with what you can do with the sword.

Also, for how the sword should be held... I was just wondering, but why is the sword being held down and outward? Who would actually carry a sword like that? For Oasis, the character holds the sword down and inward. This way, they are prepared for a quick backswing (usually the first attack used, since most of the time, the scabbard is attached to the belt, so the person can grab the handle, pull it out of the scabbard, and swing, all in one movement.

I never quite understood why people make the sword hanging outwards. If you pick up a sword, the first thing you're going to do is bring it in front of yourself somehow.
T
hanks too , I probably will be using the 16 sprite sword because it does give you alot more options with sword movement and animation, however those images with different sword positions were just examples of how the swords looked with the bodies and different stances, it would be a horrid way to carry a sword lolz. I am however incorporating different stances with different swords
Thanks for the input everyone

Old 02-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Here is the new sword format im finishing up now I guess I should think of some sprites for the center sections lolz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swordtemplate.png
Views:	193
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	27461